Ditching cable TV can save cord cutters $1,000 a year! Yet cable companies are not willing to go down without a fight and will often try to raise your fees on other services like home phone.
The average landline currently costs $20 plus taxes every month. That is an extra $240 a year you are paying just for a phone line. You could ditch it and just use a cellphone, but what if you really want a home phone? (Want to save money on your cellphone service? Check out our guide to saving money on your cellphone service.)
We have good news! You can ditch the $20 a month bill and still keep your landline and phone number. There are several devices that will turn your Internet connection into a home phone for a fraction of the cost.
Here are a few of our favorite home phone options for cord cutters:
The Ooma Telo is a home phone service that will plug into your home Internet and allow you to keep your home phone number.
Ooma Telo offers many great services:
- PureVoice HD technology for clarity and reliability
- Integration with Amazon Echo and its voice-enabled smart assistant, Alexa
- Caller-ID, call-waiting, call return, 911, and 911 text alerts
- Online portal with call log, preferences, and contacts
- One-touch voicemail audio playback
- Remote voicemail retrieval and online playback
- Fax mode
- Live customer support
- Choose any available area code
- Ooma Mobile HD app for free outbound calling
- Everyday low rates on international calling
- Unlimited calling to over 60 countries with the Ooma World Plan
- Free Ooma-to-Ooma calling worldwide
So not only is it free for domestic calling, the Ooma Telo offers many features that most phone companies do not. All of this backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee and extendable one-year warranty with 24/7 customer support.
You can find the Ooma on Amazon HERE.
If you do not need all the features of the Ooma Telo, you may want to look into the magicJack Go. It will give you free calling to the United States for $59.95 a year. (About $5 a month.)
For that low monthly fee, you get caller ID, voicemail, call forwarding, call waiting, and 411.
All you need to do is connect your magicJack Go to your home Internet, and you are ready to go. You can also use the magicJack app to make calls from your phone using the magicJack phone number.
There you go… my top 2 options for ditching the high cost of home phone yet still having the convenience of a home phone.
Need cord cutting tech support? Join our new Cord Cutting Tech Support Facebook Group for help.