Roku Express 2017

Amazon Pulls Their Twitch Channel from Roku

Starting today the official Twitch app for streaming players is now a Fire TV exclusive. Amazon, who now owns Twitch, yesterday pulled their Twitch app from the Roku Channel Store. Any Roku owner who already had the Twitch Channel installed on their Roku now gets a warning message saying the app will no longer be updated but that they can still use it.

Amazon has not stated why they pulled the Twitch Channel from Roku players, but Amazon has a history of not offering the Twitch app on a wide range of players.

Currently, there is no official Twitch app on the Apple TV, just a third-party app. There is also no Android TV version, but there is an app for the Nvidia Shield Tablet version. You can use the Chromecast option on devices that support Chromecast, but at this time if you want an app on a streaming player the Fire TV is your only option.

Before Twitch had an official Roku Channel, there was a Twitch third-party Roku Channel. It is possible that a third-party developer will once again release a Twitch Roku Channel. For now, I wouldn’t remove the Twitch Channel on Roku because you may not be able to re-add it.

We have reached out to both Amazon and Roku for comment.

Update: Roku replied to our email to confirm that the channel was removed from the Roku Channel Store.

Please follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more news, tips, and reviews.

Need cord cutting tech support? Join our new Cord Cutting Tech Support Facebook Group for help.

35 Responses to Amazon Pulls Their Twitch Channel from Roku

1. Phuq_Me November 4, 2017 at 11:03 am #

Stupid Amazon. You’re not going to force people to use your device. It should stand on it’s own.

• maverick9611 November 27, 2017 at 7:12 am #

they tried it with the fire phone and lost their ass off. i have a 64 gb model running slimkat android 4.4.4. amazon refuses to release source code so bootloader remains locked. developers still found a workaround making a decent android phone.

2. Malignar November 4, 2017 at 11:44 am #

Watching people play games so fun…

• matts1 November 5, 2017 at 3:14 am #

Apparently you are in a minority with that sentiment. There’s tens of thousands of dollars thrown at Twitch streamers everyday in donations and subscriptions..

• TaiPeng November 5, 2017 at 9:53 pm #

1. Games are $60 bucks. Twitch is free.
      2. I want to onow if a game is worth my $60. If I see a game that is ugly I won’t buy it. It helps me be a better informed consumer.
      3. I can watch old games or games not available on my console.

• Alex December 29, 2017 at 5:01 pm #

So you don’t watch basketball or football or baseball then either, I take it? You spend all your time outside playing games?

3. Feldspa November 4, 2017 at 11:49 am #

Well, I returned a new unopened Roku Ultra for this reason.

• Phuq_Me November 4, 2017 at 12:46 pm #

dumb. So you are going to buy into Amazon’s scam of forcing you to buy their product? So if someone wants to rape you ,you say “Well might as well enjoy it”?

• Feldspa November 4, 2017 at 6:33 pm #

I’ll stick with my Premier+ for the time being.

• Karl Childers November 4, 2017 at 11:29 pm #

As you pointed out in the recent post about CBS All Access “No one is forced to do anything. “

4. Colton November 4, 2017 at 12:38 pm #

I could be wrong, but I think it’s on Apple TV too. I don’t use it, but I’ve seen it in the AppStore.

5. Keith Foster November 4, 2017 at 7:08 pm #

Yeah I saw this pop up last night. I hate this crap! Amazon is becoming more a s more like Apple everyday with this. What next they will pull prime video also.

• matts1 November 5, 2017 at 3:11 am #

They make too much money from Prime to restrict where people can use Prime Video.

• Der November 5, 2017 at 1:00 pm #

Also, the Fire TV is based on Android. To remove it from the Play store would mean removing it for virtually every Android user. You know how well that would go over.

• Kravimir November 5, 2017 at 7:03 pm #

A lot of Android devices allow you to get apps from both the Google Play and Amazon app stores though.

• Keith Foster November 6, 2017 at 4:55 pm #

All fair points until they throw in a Fire Stick with your prime membership. The money they make is off people having Amazon prime and I would say a majority have prime in spite of Amazon prime video. As far as video rentals or sales no idea how much they make off that. Again I doubt they would go this way, but they could.

Yes Fire TV is based off Android but it’s a walled garden approach. Hence why you don’t have YouTube or Google play movies / music on the Fire app store. You can side load the amazon app store on Android and kind of sort of add the play store on Fire TV, but we are talking the average consumer.

• Chico February 8, 2018 at 12:49 am #

Amazon PRIME was removed from my RoKu tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. davidron November 5, 2017 at 12:50 am #

My Shield TV (not tablet) has a twitch app. Was this a typo?

• bobinc November 6, 2017 at 9:00 am #

I have to give Shield TV props. Lately they seem to be the only one pushing Android TV to be better, while Google just seems to let it dangle when it could be a greater platform.

7. matts1 November 5, 2017 at 3:10 am #

Samsung Smart TVs has had the Twitch app for years now, granted it didnt work for about half of that time but it recently got updated and its now much better than it was before it stopped working.

8. HeyRadar November 5, 2017 at 9:12 am #

I don’t watch Twitch, but this is ridiculous. Why on Earth do you need to have a Fire TV device for Twitch.

Roku should pull the Amazon Music app as a response.

• Kravimir November 5, 2017 at 7:02 pm #

But what reason would Roku give? How is Roku better if they remove apps that haven’t violated their terms of use?

• TaiPeng November 5, 2017 at 9:50 pm #

iPad and iPhone it is then.

9. TaiPeng November 5, 2017 at 9:49 pm #

The reason Amazon Fire loses is because many people have purchased Apple content and don’t want to use Android or buy movies from Vudu or Amazon Video. Nobody uses Google Music or whatever it’s called. Google Music is as popular as a Zune.

• Kravimir November 5, 2017 at 11:33 pm #

That’s less of an issue now that movies from several major studios can sync across those services via Movies Anywhere.

• Keith Foster November 6, 2017 at 4:57 pm #

I use Google Music every day…. I prefer my content to not be locked to one OS.

• TaiPeng November 8, 2017 at 2:46 pm #

• Keith Foster November 8, 2017 at 4:51 pm #

HA!? I can listen to google music on my iPhone or my S8+ or in a web browser if I so choose, but sure HA.

10. bobinc November 6, 2017 at 8:53 am #

I thought the story coming out recently about Twitch was they want to be YouTube? How can they become as big as YouTube when you start reducing access to the app? Guess Amazon wants to force more check boxes on their Fire TV players “feature” list for the Christmas season. Has Twitch App [x] [ ] [ ] [ ]

11. Doomrah November 9, 2017 at 5:13 pm #

someone should bring back that “unofficial twitch app for roku”. i like that one better than the official one anyway. this is a pretty crappy move on amazon’s level though. i’m not buying a fireTV. deal with it.

12. TigerClaw305 November 12, 2017 at 9:00 am #

There’s another way to watch Twitch on the Roku, using the Roku Plex App, and installing the TwitchMod plugin onto the Plex Media Server.

• maverick9611 November 27, 2017 at 7:14 am #

no tommy dreamer and house of hardcore wrestling. still fans out their who hate wwe and want pure hardcore wrestling.

13. Hitgrim December 11, 2017 at 11:08 am #

I will not be renewing Prime and have decided to stop shopping with Amazon.

Just returned the 7 Echo dots I was going to give out for xmas and will give out cash instead. I am done shopping with and supporting Amazon. Consumers can end this sort of behavior in the future by avoiding companies that pull this.

• Jared M. Bobak December 12, 2017 at 3:33 pm #

yeah, i had an entire shopping cart for christmas from amazon filled up, then i looked into these happenings and decided to just pick everything up locally (which took a few days considering i ride the bus) but well worth it not to support this type of bait and switch tactics.