Antenna Couple

Best of 2017: 5 Reasons an Antenna Should Be a Part of Your Cord Cutting Setup

Today we continue our look back at the best stories from 2017. Today we look at 5 reasons you need an antenna.

Increasingly major local affiliates are becoming available through live TV streaming services such as DIRECTV NOW, Hulu, and PlayStation Vue; however, even if you receive your major locals such as ABC, CBS, FOX, and NBC you really should get an antenna.

Why is an antenna so important with your cord cutting setup? Here are my top 5 reasons why everyone should have an antenna as a part of their cord cutting setup.

#1 More Channels

Often when people think of OTA TV they think of ABC, CBS, FOX, and NBC; however, there is so much more out there. PBS, ION, and The CW are probably the other networks most cord cutters know, but there are even more.

Recently the CEO behind the Tablo DVR said the average Tablo DVR user gets more than 40 locals. Many of these are great channels such as MeTV, Antenna TV, Comet TV, Excape, and Laff, which air great content from days past and current shows all 100% free.

Want to see what you can get in your area? Check out AntennaRecommendations.com to find out how many locals you can get.

#2 No Blackouts & No Outages

Streaming is still a fairly new technology, and it often struggles with blackouts and outages. The good news is every week these are become fewer and fewer; however, just like cable TV 30 years ago contracts and technology are still catching up. (And live TV streaming is already seeing a huge step forward in stability and reliability.)

OTA TV is older than cable TV and is a great way to know you will never miss that game or worry about outages.

#3 No Delay

Did you know that even cable TV is delayed a few seconds behind over-the-air TV? Streaming can average 30 seconds behind.

There are numerous factors that go into the delay in streaming. Your Internet and device speed will affect how long it takes for you to load the stream. There is also a built-in delay for the signal to go from your local station to your provider and back down to you. Typically that is just 30 seconds, but some cord cutters on slow devices and connections can see a longer delay.

OTA TV is the best way to make sure you see the game live without delay.

#4 Picture Quality

Not all HD is the same and even with cable TV they compress HD TV. While it is still technically HD, you will be shocked at how great OTA TV looks compared to cable and streaming.

So if you want great HD images, OTA is the only way to go.

#5 OTA 3.0

This month the FCC is voting on the new OTA standard that will offer 4K video and better coverage of OTA TV. The good news is all current antennas will work with the 3.0 standard. Although we are still a few years away from most Americans having 4K OTA TV, it’s on its way and there is no time like now to get started.

So there you go… 5 reasons why an antenna is a must have. Make sure to check out AntennaRecommendations.com to find out how many locals you can get.

Need cord cutting tech support? Join our Cord Cutting Tech Support Facebook Group for help.

19 Responses to Best of 2017: 5 Reasons an Antenna Should Be a Part of Your Cord Cutting Setup

1. Bill Eastman December 30, 2017 at 2:42 pm #

Light tv too, whicj had MGM shows including Flipper and The New Adventures of Flipper. Also Touched by an Angel.
    Uf you use a Tablo, you can stream these additional networjs too that DTVN doesn’t carry.

• Fred Koot December 30, 2017 at 6:50 pm #

You don’t need a tablo to get those channels.

• Bill Eastman December 30, 2017 at 7:01 pm #

I know…they can be STREAMED from wwwilighttv.com just as http://www.tufftv.com

• Fred Koot December 30, 2017 at 8:06 pm #

Or just a regular antenna

2. Sam S. December 30, 2017 at 2:47 pm #

luke i like the idea of 3.0 but i still fear that you wont we can’t DVR anymore with the new chip for the 3.0 have you heard anything luke?

• Cord Cutters News December 30, 2017 at 2:57 pm #

Not true.

• Sam S. January 1, 2018 at 9:42 pm #

luke sorry my words didnt come out so good..one more thing do you think they will still make DVRs
        i was thinking about getting one or two for my home..?

3. Diane U December 30, 2017 at 2:56 pm #

Why does my indoor antenna quit working when it’s very cold out? Even if there is no ice and maybe only a few flakes of snow.

4. marlee41 December 30, 2017 at 3:01 pm #

Can anyone make a recommendation of 2 or 3 antennas that are really good? Thanks

• Fred Koot December 30, 2017 at 6:53 pm #

The cheapest. They are all the same. The key is knowing where the channels are and getting the right angle. I chose a 50 mile range One by One. They key was getting a stand, so I could get the right angle. All networks are crystal clear at 46 miles away.

• DesignatedJizTowel December 30, 2017 at 10:55 pm #

Do you know how far you live from the transmitting towers?

• marlee41 December 31, 2017 at 8:05 am #

I am probably doing well streaming Directv Now. My only complaint-the frequent times it needs to reload. Don’t think I actually need an antenna now. I live in Dallas and connect with all my local channels I care about. The list of available channels is noteworthy. Thanks to all of you for your responses.

5. David Batten December 30, 2017 at 4:43 pm #

Plus One on having antenna for free OTA !!!!
    I receive 71 channels and even after I filter out the channels that I would never watch. I am still left with 26 channels.
    NO SERVICE, not even traditional cable TV will give me most of them, much less ALL of them.

Not to mention that during Hurricane Irma, I lost the local weather broadcast over streaming on CBS All Access. But my antenna never failed to receive signal.
    I watch the local CBS station for my local weather. In my office, it was easier to watch on CBS All Access. But when the station moved to a backup location due to the storm. I lost the streaming feed entirely.
    If I used only streaming feeds for my locals, who know how many others I would have lost as well.

6. DesignatedJizTowel December 30, 2017 at 7:04 pm #

Maybe a little off the subject but something that some people might find useful. I put up an OTA antenna but, the problem I had was that some of the towers were in one location and some in another. I considered a rotor but the problem with that is that if two people want to watch channels from the different towers at the same time we were out of luck. I ended up buying two antennas and mounted them on the same outdoor pole. Each pointed to a different set of towers of course. I then got a two way splitter and hooked it up backwards. At that point it becomes a combiner. Read several articles that said that doesn’t work, but it works great for me. Hope this is useful information for someone.

7. Garry December 30, 2017 at 8:39 pm #

I am over 100 miles from all broadcast stations and get ZERO over an antenna. I’ve checked out all of them. DIRECTV NOW has them LIVE. I almost got Satellite 13 years ago. They couldn’t get locals back then. I have been streaming ever since 2004, DTN satisfies all of my needs. And I can stream at my house and my daughters. Can’t do that with Antenna, cable or satellite.

8. Craig W December 30, 2017 at 9:24 pm #

As stated in the article OTA gives me more channels some of which I couldn’t get with any streaming service. My Network , Movies! , Justice , This TV , H&I , AntennaTV , Cozi , Comet , Retro , and others that I can always find shows to watch or DVR with my Tablo. I subscribe to Sling Blue so I do not get my local ABC or CBS stations. I get them both with my attic mounted antenna as well as NBC and CBS from another market which gives me access to some alternate sporting events mainly NFL games. There are other channels that are available such as MeTv , Decades and Charge! that I’m trying to receive but they’re a work in progress. The Best part is that they are all FREE!. My cord cutting journey is now in it’s third year so some money I’ve been saving has been put back into my setup to purchase my hardware, Rokus , antennas, preamp , 2 tuner Tablo DVR and 4TB hard drive.

9. notsofastnow December 31, 2017 at 1:04 am #

Thanks, but the last time I set up an antenna I got one Korean station and a snowy local PBS.

Until the networks place transmission towers atop the mountain between us, I’ll simply have to pay for “free” TV. Sigh.

10. BigO January 1, 2018 at 11:29 am #

We are in somewhat of a weird geographical spot, but we were able to setup an antenna to receive all of the networks we wanted. Now, I am just trying to figure out which OTA DVR I want to purchase.

11. Brian Cavanaugh January 1, 2018 at 5:51 pm #

Since OTA has nothing to do with your internet, it will help make sure you dont hit your data caps too!