Mid age woman sitting at table

Best of 2017: How to Save Money on Home Phone

Mid age woman sitting at table

As 2017 comes to an end we want to look back at the best tips and stories of 2017. Today we look back at how to save money on home phone.

Ditching cable TV can save cord cutters $1,000 a year! Yet cable companies are not willing to go down without a fight and will often try to raise your fees on other services like home phone.

The average landline currently costs $20 plus taxes every month. That is an extra $240 a year you are paying just for a phone line. You could ditch it and just use a cellphone, but what if you really want a home phone? (Want to save money on your cellphone service? Check out our guide to saving money on your cellphone service.)

We have good news! You can ditch the $20 a month bill and still keep your landline and phone number. There are several devices that will turn your Internet connection into a home phone for a fraction of the cost.

Here are a few of our favorite home phone options for cord cutters:

The Ooma Telo is a home phone service that will plug into your home Internet and allow you to keep your home phone number.

Ooma Telo offers many great services:

• PureVoice HD technology for clarity and reliability
  • Integration with Amazon Echo and its voice-enabled smart assistant, Alexa
  • Caller-ID, call-waiting, call return, 911, and 911 text alerts
  • Online portal with call log, preferences, and contacts
  • One-touch voicemail audio playback
  • Remote voicemail retrieval and online playback
  • Fax mode
  • Live customer support
  • Choose any available area code
  • Ooma Mobile HD app for free outbound calling
  • Everyday low rates on international calling
  • Unlimited calling to over 60 countries with the Ooma World Plan
  • Free Ooma-to-Ooma calling worldwide

So not only is it free for domestic calling, the Ooma Telo offers many features that most phone companies do not. All of this backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee and extendable one-year warranty with 24/7 customer support.

You can find the Ooma on Amazon HERE.

magicJack Go

If you do not need all the features of the Ooma Telo, you may want to look into the magicJack Go. It will give you free calling to the United States for $59.95 a year. (About $5 a month.)

For that low monthly fee, you get caller ID, voicemail, call forwarding, call waiting, and 411.

All you need to do is connect your magicJack Go to your home Internet, and you are ready to go. You can also use the magicJack app to make calls from your phone using the magicJack phone number.

There you go… my top 2 options for ditching the high cost of home phone yet still having the convenience of a home phone.

Please follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more news, tips, and reviews.

Need cord cutting tech support? Join our new Cord Cutting Tech Support Facebook Group for help.

15 Responses to Best of 2017: How to Save Money on Home Phone

1. Terry Pedigo December 23, 2017 at 8:13 pm #

I did have Magic Jack when I first dropped my land line but after a year of off and on problems I switched to a Nettalk duo and it was pretty much problem free for the next 8 years until a few months ago when the little box failed so I got a new one for 39 dollars and another 3 months free added to the one year I had remaining. It again seems to be as good or better (Its a Duo 2). For my money Nettalk is worth the money for the replacement.

2. Iphart December 23, 2017 at 11:17 pm #

With the exception of businesses who has landlines these days?

• matthewmspace December 24, 2017 at 4:03 am #

Pretty much all my relatives and lots of my parents’ friends.

3. Jim December 23, 2017 at 11:47 pm #

Make note that the VoIP services are not totally free after paying the up-front cost. Each month you will be be assessed federal, state and local taxes for connecting to the phone network. I have an OOMA and depending on the location that I set as its 911 location as I have moved, I have had to pay from about $3.50 to $6.00 per month. OOMA also has an optional $10/month premium service that is available. Any taxes would be in addition to that $10 fee.

4. Surfer December 24, 2017 at 4:20 am #

I use an OBI200 which is similar to a magic-jack but is meant for permanent use in the home rather than for portability. It has been reliable, have had no call quality issues like I did with the magic-jack (had the MJ for 5 years before switching to OBI200) and there is no monthly or yearly fee. I paid 39.99 dollars for it when it was on sale on Amazon but is currently 55 dollars. You pay that and you don’t have to pay for anything else for the life of the product if calls are made to USA and Canada. All you have to do is set up a Google Voice account and you’re done. The only thing you may want to consider paying a fee for is E911 since 911 service is not included. But that is a 12 dollar yearly fee (if I am not mistaken) which is a drop in the bucket compared to the money you save. Check it out…

www amazon com/OBi200-1-Port-Adapter-Support-Service/dp/B00BUV7C9A

• siriuset December 24, 2017 at 11:08 am #

Can you port over your home phone number?

• Surfer December 24, 2017 at 12:03 pm #

Not directly. You can only port mobile numbers. If your home number isn’t a mobile number, then you would need to follow this two step process…

www obihai com/porttutorial

You can however get a new number with an area code in your area if the above linked process is too cumbersome for you.

• siriuset December 24, 2017 at 12:24 pm #

Thanks for the info.

5. Bob Loblaw December 24, 2017 at 6:26 am #

No need for any landline anymore.

6. beentheredonethat2 December 24, 2017 at 9:52 am #

I went landline free 15 years ago and can’t see why anyone would need one. But it’s your money so feel free to spend it as you see fit.

7. Marvin Carter December 24, 2017 at 10:25 am #

OBI Devices allow Free Calls in the United States and very cheap international calls. You can also Port your Home phone number over using Google Voice Services and this device. Call Quality is excellent too.

8. charles perry December 24, 2017 at 10:52 am #

Ooma may seem like a good idea until you find out it costs $40 to port your old number. As far as Magic Jack is concerned, they lost their credibility when they said their service was free and it wasn’t. The most honest service is Basic Talk, the budget version of Vonage. It costs only $12 a month and doesn’t charge a porting fee.

9. siriuset December 24, 2017 at 12:27 pm #

I’d love to cut the phone bill but my understanding is that a traditional landline has a better chance of working in a power outage. How do we all feel about cutting our landlines in the case of an emergency. Those in hurricane or earthquake prone areas are likely to lose power which means that an Ooma or Obi200 would be rendered useless.

10. imwithstoopid December 24, 2017 at 2:13 pm #

Why don’t you mention “Net Phone” that matches magicjack for 35 / yr?
    I use ATT “broadband” (lol) at lowest rate, a joke, slower that dial-up used to be.

I just can’t afford any of his stuff anymore.yet I am committed to on-line banking and bill paying.

Doubt Comcast is affordable. All the offers (50% off first year) are a joke. I use Dish (the min) to get TV because I don’t / can’t receive locals very well, always clipping, dropping out etc.
    Where do others like myself go to?

11. Bob December 24, 2017 at 10:23 pm #

” You can skip the monthly fee and still keep your landline and number ” ???
    How do you “keep” the landline ?