Recently Viacom announced a new streaming service called BET+ in partnership with Tyler Perry. Now Viacom has announced that the service will launch on September 19 2019 and cost $9.99 a month.
“We are thrilled to offer a streaming experience of content curated for the underserved African American audience with BET+. African Americans have a higher SVOD adoption rate than any other consumer base on the market, which is why BET+ is a natural complement of BET’s linear network, which has been and continues to be the leading home of black culture for decades,” said Scott Mills, President of BET Networks.
“In our first year, we will release a BET+ original project almost every month, adding to our lineup of deep and diverse content,” said Devin Griffin, General Manager BET+. “We’re focused on super-serving lovers of Black stories by working with top talent, and supporting fresh new voices, on both sides of the camera.”
BET+ will launch with more than 1,000 hours of premium content. Some of this content will include several firsts like:
- First time Jill Scott will star and Tracy Oliver will executive produce a new series for BET+ with “First Wives Club.”
- First time Will Packer will executive produce a new series for BET + with “Bigger.”
- First time original series from Tyler Perry to premiere on a streaming service.
- First time the beloved comedy series “Martin” will be available on a streaming a service.
- First time the iconic BET comedy series, “Comic View” will be available on a streaming service.
- First time Tyler Perry’s stage plays will be available to viewers on a streaming service.
BET+ will offer a premium selection of African American TV, movie and musical content including BET’s beloved library series, films, documentaries, and specials such as “The Bobby Brown Story,” “The New Edition Story,” “Real Husbands of Hollywood,” “The Quad,” “Being Mary Jane,” “Love & Happiness: An Obama Celebration, ” “College Hill,” “Comic View,” “Hell Date,” “Keyshia Cole: All In,” “Nellyville” “Reed Between The Lines,” “Ali: People’s Champ,” “Katrina: 10 Years Later,” “Killer Curves,” “BET Awards,” “Hip Hop Awards,” “Soul Train Awards,” “Black Girls Rock,” “Boomerang,” “Harlem Nights,” “Baby Boy,” “Belly,” “Coach Carter,” “Coming To America,” “Higher Learning,” “Losing Isaiah,” “Poetic Justice,” “Tina Turner Live In Holland,” and more will be available at launch.
The good news is if you love the free BET channel on Pluto TV, Viacom says that will continue to be free.
Did you know we have a YouTube Channel? Every week we have a live Cord Cutting Q&A, and weekly Cord Cutting recap shows exclusively on our YouTube Channel!