Cable TV

Cable Companies Are Desperate to Trick You into Coming Back…

Cable TVRecently we have heard from many new cord cutters who say cable systems are telling them it is less expensive to get Internet plus TV rather than just Internet. WARNING: IT’S A TRAP!

Let’s breakdown a few of the hidden cost that many of these companies hide.

First, there are taxes, and there are a lot of taxes with TV that Internet-only customers do not have to pay.

Second, they add in fees such as an HD fee, local sports fees, device fees, and rental fees. We recently broke down one customer’s bill to show how Comcast added over $40 in fees and taxes.

2016-02-17 14.59.37There is also a new wrinkle many cable companies are adding. They promise to lock in your rate for one year, but there is a catch. They forget to add that the free HBO and Showtime they add is not locked in at that rate. They only lock the basic cable in at that rate and after 3 months they start billing you for HBO or other premium channels. If you want to cancel HBO or other premium channels you have to pay a cancelation fee. Yes, some cable companies are now charging cancelation fees to drop premium channels.

The other trick we are hearing from readers who took these so-called deals is the contract lock. The price may be good for 12 months but you signed up for a 24-month contract. In the past people would try to renew their contract after 12 months to get a new promotion. Just be warned: we are hearing some customers are being told that with the deal they have they cannot renew until the contract is over, meaning they will be paying two or three times what their promotional rate is.

Also be careful of free TV for a year deals. Some companies are offering a deal that says if you sign up to their fastest Internet plans you can get cable TV free; however, they sock you with fees and taxes. Then after the free year of TV you are locked in to a two-year contract unless you want to pay termination fees.

In short, this all comes down to two different truths. Nothing is free and if the deal sounds too good to be true…

10 Responses to Cable Companies Are Desperate to Trick You into Coming Back…

David Gabel September 21, 2016 at 12:07 pm #

This is why I run OTA TV into my HTPC. I get tons of benefits in regard to content, and the ability to DVR, plus library of owned movies and tv shows, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and CBS All Access. I’m set with all I need.

N Schmitt September 21, 2016 at 12:36 pm #

The additional fees is what I hate with the cable/satellite companies. Directv started adding a regional sports programming fee to my bill. Soon after that I cancelled my service 11 months into a 12 month contract.

I was able to cancel my service by using the chat customer support, which surprised me a bit. They didn’t even try to get me to stay. 11 months earlier I spent a ton of time on the phone with them, stating I wanted to cancel, them giving me a new offer. I signed back up for 12 months at that time at $45 off per month ($51 after taxes was my cost). Dropped that for Vue a month ago!!

Ottis September 21, 2016 at 1:35 pm #

I have Comcast they gave me a cheaper rate than just Internet if I added cable. I only have the very base package which is basically shopping channels. I have no equipment minus one free converter box that has not been taken out of the box they shipped it to me in. On the bill after fees and taxes it’s about $20 cheaper than just Internet. I believe they offer that so they can report me as a cable subscriber as well. I was going to decline the offer but for $20 month savings I don’t mind them having another one on their numbers.

JJ September 22, 2016 at 8:00 pm #

I used to have that. The price goes up after a year and its no longer a good deal. That’s one of the reasons they do it – they hope you won’t notice or downgrade. The other reason is they hope to persuade you to eventually upgrade to a more expensive product. They claim around 30% of customers on these internet plus plans eventually upgrade. I didn’t. Instead I cancelled Comcast entirely and switched to Verizon Fios.

Ottis September 24, 2016 at 2:12 am #

It expired in August after 2 years. I called them to cancel the tv and they quickly offered me the same deal no change in price for 2 more years.

Sundiata Bradshaw September 30, 2016 at 3:32 pm #

After years of criticizing all of you, I finally cut the cord although I’m making some sacrifices as a sports fan. PS Vue is great but there isn’t any replacement for my tennis. I have been working to get a nice Kodi setup on my Amazon Fire and may end up canceling PS Vue completely.
      I looked at all the packages before calling AT&T, telling myself I was getting rid of all cable, but ended up getting the Internet/Standard Cable package which only includes local channels. However the deal is cheaper than just internet, including all 17 local TV fees. We’ll see what deal they have to offer next year.

Jesse Gurr September 23, 2016 at 10:40 pm #

I started 2 months ago to cut my cord. Had to call my cable company, charter, to break the news to them. The guy I talked to told me that the Internet plan I can get includes access to EPIX for free. Pleasantly surprised by that. Decent selection though no nearly as much as Netflix but still has some recent movies.
    Tried sling for a while, it was decently priced for what I wanted but service was kinda spotty. Antenna was no good for me as I could only get NBC or Fox if I’m lucky. Then about a month after canceling tv I got an ad from charter about a new streaming service. For $20 I get about 25 odd channels plus locals and my choice of HBO or Cinemax. Seemed like a pretty good deal so i tried it out. They even sent me a roku 3. Still have the service after a month. The only downside is that there isn’t any on demand stuff. But I’m not missing it that much.

The Atheist Dude September 25, 2016 at 11:32 pm #

I did the same roku 3 deal a year ago. Kept the roku and got rid of the spectrum tv app. Try channel pear for free channels,it works great. Charter here has no data caps. I like them. Epix is a nice touch.They also have a fee virus protection with your service.

Florence Catherine September 25, 2016 at 7:49 am #

Before you even agree to the sale or the upgrade, just make sure you have the sales person disclose everything including the roll-off price and the early termination fees