CBS & Viacom Agree to Form a Special Committee to Explore Merger

A few weeks ago we learned that talks between CBS and Viacom have started for a possible merger. Now we have learned that both CBS and Viacom Boards of Directors have agreed to form special committees to explore a possible merger.

Back in 2010, the two companies merged only to break back into two companies in 2016, at the request of both boards. It is important to remember that both Viacom and CBS have the same controlling family: the Redstone family. If these reports are correct, they could once again be a single company.

For cord cutters, the possibility of Viacom joining CBS is an exciting one with the prospect of Viacom shows returning to many streaming services. Merging the two companies would also give them stronger bargaining power when it comes to contract negotiations and could possibly bring Viacom content to CBS’s streaming efforts like CBS All Access or the growing number of free streaming services from CBS.

This push to make media companies like Viacom and CBS larger is not just about cord cutting. There is a growing number of content providers such as Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon creating original programs enjoyed by cord cutters and cable subscribers alike. To help fight back from a shrinking viewership content companies are hoping to grow their footprint through mergers like this one.

As of today, the deal is not official, but with the new special committees being formed it takes the CBS and Viacom merger one step closer to becoming a reality.

Source: Reuters

Please follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more news, tips, and reviews.

Need cord cutting tech support? Join our Cord Cutting Tech Support Facebook Group for help.

11 Responses to CBS & Viacom Agree to Form a Special Committee to Explore Merger

1. Fred Koot February 2, 2018 at 10:23 am #

Anything worth watching on any of these networks, now that The Big Bang Theory is done?

• Nathan John Ganiere February 2, 2018 at 11:22 am #

I like the shows that play Monday nights on CBS, Kevin Can Wait, Man with a Plan,9JKL, and Superior Doughnuts, but the rest of the week not much else, Viacom I think I’m just gonna dump to the curb and just use YouTube TV until they get Viacom if they do and CBS to merge with them and they offer them, if not will do without…..

2. SS February 2, 2018 at 11:55 am #

A tiny correction: CBS and Viacom didn’t merge in 2010. They’ve been separate entities since they split on Dec 31, 2005. They did not split in 2016 – 2016 is when they were trying to merge after the 2005 breakup.

3. SS February 2, 2018 at 11:56 am #

I really want this merger to go through so CBS can make YouTube TV add Viacom channels.

• Dean G February 3, 2018 at 3:57 pm #

Get Philo

• SS February 7, 2018 at 10:46 am #

Oh I have Philo. I have both Philo and YouTube TV. But if Viacom joined YouTube TV, I would probably only pay $5 more to get Viacom shows instead of $16. And the shows would remain on the DVR for 9 months.

4. Gilgamesh February 2, 2018 at 2:52 pm #

I find it curious that I see so many people reacting positively as if they will now just automatically get additional channels for the same price on their streaming service. Viacom isnt missing from so many services because of evil streaming managers trying to deprive you of Yo MTV Raps (or whatever is on viacom nowadays). Its because they want too much money for the number of viewers their content brings.

To me these mergers are just backing their way into the same problem we all had with cable. 500 channels of crap I have no interest being forced on me, for a large price, in order to get the 10 channels with content I do actually care about. The more mergers there are, the more of a stick they have to beat the streaming services with to take it all in a base package or do without all of it. And at a higher price than the subsection that is currently bought. Which in turn means Vue/Hulu/Sling/etc all have to raise their rates to all of us, or deliver less content to all of us. Mergers take us all in the opposite direction of the true a-la-carte dream we all have.

5. Dean G February 3, 2018 at 10:06 am #

Who are the cord cutters that are excited about the prospect of a merger? Most people I see on different forums don’t like this and realize that Viacom only wants the merger because nobody wants their crap channels. IMO most people see that their rates will go up if CBS forces companies to take the additional channels at a higher cost to get the ones most people want. So I ask again, who is excited about this?

• Wambie February 3, 2018 at 11:35 am #

Look down at SS

6. Manda February 3, 2018 at 11:18 pm #

I wonder if this could lead to Viacom backing out of Philo.

• cyn February 5, 2018 at 8:37 am #

I foresee CBS joining Philo & the price increasing to $22 – they both need something extra to make them a got to have/add package – well maybe not Philo so much – but they would be stronger together than apart. If they both backed out of all the other streaming services or charged so much that they forced other services to increase prices or drop them, then they would create either a demand or their demise.

To me adding Philo to Sling Blue was a no brainer instead of adding the 4 extra package. I was surprised to see that also agreed this choice as the best value for my needs. Only a few dollars more to double my DVR abilities AND skip ads on recorded shows, as well as almost doubling the streams available.

My shows are on Philo, my housemate’s shows are on Sling Blue now we don’t have to grumble about Sling not having separate profiles.