Stream+ and Remote

Channel Master Announces an Android TV Powered DVR Called Stream+

Today Channel Master, the maker of great over-the-air tools including DVRs, announced a new over-the-air TV powered by Android TV called Stream+.

For just $99 you can stream your favorite show or movie on a long list of apps including Sling TV, PlayStation Vue, and Hulu. Or you can use the built-in tuner to DVR your favorite show using your antenna.

“Stream+ is the culmination of customer requests, market research and engineering, rolled up into an advanced solution from creative companies,” said Joe Bingochea, EVP of Product Development at Channel Master. “We are a consumer-first company focused on delivering value to our customers with Android TV and GoogleTM’s Live Channels app.”

The Stream+ Android TV player includes dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi and Ethernet connectivity, integrated voice search, 4K and HDR viewing technology, quad-core CPU for advanced gaming, two built-in ATSC 1.0 tuners with a MicroSD storage option for DVR, and USB 3.0 for personal media use and future options.

Cord Cutters News had a great opportunity to chat with the team behind the Stream+ and have answers to some of the questions we think you will want to know about.

Can you use the USB to record shows to external HD?

According to Channel Master, no. At this time only the micro SD card can record shows, but Channel Master says they are working on adding USB support.

Can you use Plex to record shows through the built-in tuner?

At this time, no, Plex cannot access the built-in tuner.

When will the Stream+ be available to purchase?

According to Channel Master you can pre-order now from the Channel Master’s online store for the introductory price of $99. Stream+ will be for sale sometime in mid-January 2018.

24 Responses to Channel Master Announces an Android TV Powered DVR Called Stream+

1. Fred Koot December 19, 2017 at 8:17 am #

Its using the Android tv Dvr, so I don’t know why you couldn’t add a usb harddrive

• Kravimir December 19, 2017 at 2:28 pm #

Eh? “USB”… where though?

2. Keith Foster December 19, 2017 at 9:00 am #

Ohhhhh I like where this is going.

3. David Batten December 19, 2017 at 9:01 am #

If Channel Master would have included a tuner that is more compatible with the open standard with PLEX support, etc. This would be a big hit.
    Another drawback is that only recording to micro SD out the gate. WTF is up with that. Because to get any decent recording time, you would need at least 256gb and that will set you back another $130 or so from Amazon.

I hope Channel Master gets the USB support issue sorted out quickly. As this could also be good for Android TV.

• Scott Blanchard December 19, 2017 at 9:37 am #

The device has a USB 3.0 port. You should reasonably expect expansion capability to external storage via a firmware update. Hopefully this type of “all-in-one” integration of OTA+streaming apps is a sign of things to come – despite previous similar attempts with AirTV that have largely fizzles, this looks like it’s hitting the right points on all accounts – especially the included free program guide for DVR scheduling and program info.

If Apple ever gets into this game, the TV App is patiently waiting and ready to play. Not holding my breath on that one.

• Robert Alverson December 21, 2017 at 3:45 pm #

Personally, I would much rather have LAN (e.g. Samba) support for storage. Both SD and USB storage would only be accessible by the CM itself. I have other TVs where it would be nice if all could access the DVR recordings.

• David Batten December 21, 2017 at 5:15 pm #

I agree with the LAN Storage support. But I was thinking about the average plug & play user.
        For your needs, a device like the HDHomeRun with the DVR setup on a NAS, etc using the SiliconDust DVR, Plex, etc.

4. Charles Wilber December 19, 2017 at 9:15 am #

I have the current version and love it but wish you could connect to it from the network and download saved videos or a live feed. What I really want to do is mount it in the attic and use roku/firetv/tablet to watch.

5. Fred Koot December 19, 2017 at 9:59 am #

HDMI 2.0 with hdcp 1.4 can that truly do HDR?

6. clocks11 December 19, 2017 at 10:10 am #

I wish companies like Roku, Channel Master, etc. would stop describing their SoCs as just “quad core”. It doesn’t tell us anything. Also, I can’t remember the last ARM device I bought that was less than quad core. I’m going to assume this device is one of the million Amlogic s905 variants.

7. Scott Blanchard December 19, 2017 at 10:20 am #

Netflix will not run under the Stream+ until Netflix blesses the device. Presumably because it doesn’t have the numbers to warrant their support. That is likely the driver for the $99 introductory pricing. If CM can get the unit count up and generate an appreciable amount of Buzz, Netflix may come along. Could be a game changer, but still some critical missing pieces to the puzzle.

• Fred Koot December 19, 2017 at 10:31 am #

Why wouldn’t Netflix work, it runs Android tv.

• Scott Blanchard December 19, 2017 at 11:06 am #

Its a technical loophole that Netflix is able to control which apps its device can be accessed. I have more about it here:

• Fred Koot December 19, 2017 at 1:19 pm #

I think if Channelmaster advertisers Netflix they already have rights, maybe not Hdr yet

8. HeyRadar December 19, 2017 at 10:52 am #

It has Google Play Store and Chromecast support, which is interesting.

But there is NO support to stream the DVR content to other devices!!

Pointless if you have more than one TV

• Kravimir December 19, 2017 at 2:29 pm #

Hopefully it will get that via Plex in a few months.

9. Vegas Steve December 19, 2017 at 2:24 pm #

Didn’t SlingTV just abandon the CM DVR? Doesn’t bode well for this one then.

• Kravimir December 19, 2017 at 2:26 pm #

That wasn’t running Android. This is. Developing for this would require little extra work than other Android TV devices.

• Vegas Steve December 19, 2017 at 6:40 pm #

Good point. I hope it makes it.

• JasPar December 19, 2017 at 7:45 pm #

I was thinking the same thing. I wish they would offer a trade-in option, or an existing user discount, on these for people that have the set top boxes already. Dropping $350 on the existing DVR.

I wonder if this is being announced since AirTV just just released a network tuner a few days ago

I bought my DVR+ STB mainly because it does have SlingTV built in. It is the best thing so far to integrate OTA and SlingTV. I also have an AirTV Player w/ the tuner, but it can’t DVR OTA. Lots of hopes that didn’t work out since it restricts some Android TV apps.

10. Jim December 22, 2017 at 12:41 pm #

Will there be an app to view the recorded programs across your home network?