StreamPlus Channel Master
We may earn a commission from purchases through links on our site. You can learn more here.

Channel Master is Building a New Streaming Player With OTA DVR Built In

Well, it looks like we will soon have one more streaming player options as today Channel Master announced plans to jump into the market.

The new streaming player will be called Stream+ and from the looks of it you will be to not only stream your apps but also plug your antenna directly into the device. From the remote, it looks like it will also have a DVR built in but likely a cloud DVR or one that uses the USB 3.0 port to plug in a hard drive for storage.

Update: We have confirmed that this will be an Android TV device.

Here is what the new device looks like:

Details are very limited but they did say it will be coming in January likely at CES. Cord Cutters News will be at CES this year and will make sure to get a first look at the new Stream+ device from Channel Master.

Cord Cutters News is reaching out to Channel Master for comment and will update this story if we learn more.

Please follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more news, tips, and reviews.

Need cord cutting tech support? Join our new Cord Cutting Tech Support Facebook Group for help.

Disclaimer: To address the growing use of ad blockers we now use affiliate links to sites like Amazon.com, streaming services, and others. Affiliate links help sites like Cord Cutters News, LLC stay open. Affiliate links cost you nothing but help me support my family. We do not allow paid reviews on this site. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

31 Responses to Channel Master is Building a New Streaming Player With OTA DVR Built In

craig2web November 22, 2017 at 8:34 am #

Is there really a market for this? How hard is it to use the input button on your remote? And what apps will it support? Android, iOS, Roku? Or (God forbid) proprietary? Just seems like a product w/o a market to me.

Kravimir November 22, 2017 at 9:04 am #

I think the problem many people have with the input/source button is of having to remember what each is used for. So many devices don’t allow custom labels or the people in question aren’t inclined to set them, even if they have that option.

I would assume it will use Android, since it’s open source, has many apps already available, and is likely to have relatively low development costs.

craig2web November 22, 2017 at 9:22 am #

If it’s Android, will this officially be a Android TV device? Will be interesting to find out in January.

Kravimir November 22, 2017 at 10:00 am #

Using Android but not the Android TV branch would be very poor decision. How could they hope to compete with Sling’s Air TV otherwise?

Zouz November 22, 2017 at 10:16 am #

It will be using Android TV.
            It’s the ‘Skipper’ STB from French manufacturer Technicolor.

Check the Bluetooth Certification here : https://launchstudio.bluetooth.com/ListingDetails/17388

Kravimir November 22, 2017 at 10:41 am #

Hmm… so it’s a re-brand? Thanks for finding that.

halflifecrysis November 22, 2017 at 10:51 am #

This is the same device that lead to AirTV – I’m sure it is made by Technicolor – Just a different shape, maybe not Sling heavy.

Zouz November 22, 2017 at 12:02 pm #

Not really, Technicolor is an OEM.
            The ‘Skipper’ is used by at least 10 other operators around the world already.

Babbette's Butler November 22, 2017 at 9:34 am #

I think there’s a huge market for this if it does have cloud DVR built in. Not a whole lot of people have OTA DVR.

Kravimir November 22, 2017 at 9:56 am #

Remember what happened to Aereo…

Zouz November 22, 2017 at 10:18 am #

The STB only has 8GB (5 after Android TV is installed).
        So maybe you’ll need to add your own Micro-SD card or USB stick.

IBWTF November 22, 2017 at 9:37 am #

If it has DVR… I see benefit. Also for my bedroom TV, the way my tv is designed, (Tuner on back/HDMI on side/slim mount) I cant connect my antenna while it’s mounted on the wall with the wall mount I have. Would be a small benefit to just have to connect the HDMI or I could buy another mount…

StreamBuzz November 22, 2017 at 10:24 am #

Input switching? It’s a big deal. Especially for those switching from cable and satellite. They are used to a single screen that has all their channels locals and DVR. one seamless experience. My wife especially. Most of the market is non-technical.

Sunflower November 22, 2017 at 11:29 am #

Our two LG tv remotes have the input buttons reversed which makes switching annoying.

Marc Nix November 29, 2017 at 3:10 pm #

Absolutely agree, I am the “IT Man” for a number of family members, and simplicity is key.

Too many remotes, too many boxes with differing behavior, too many devices trying to “handshake” to share behavior … there are plenty of ways for people to press a wrong button and not know how to put things back to normal. (Heck, I know what I’m doing but even I find myself staring at a black screen every once in a while thinking, “Okay, what mode am I in and what isn’t powered on right now, because this should be doing this?”) A set-top box that handles both streaming video and OTA shows would be a godsend for many older people, many poor people (or frugal people, even — they deserve good devices too,) many tech-unsavvy people.

StreamBuzz.net November 29, 2017 at 3:22 pm #

Same. I’m the most tech savvy person in my family and like you, I’m the “go to” guy for anything technical. I still appreciate simplicity. I can figure it out easily but who has time for that? That’s why I like Apple. My Macbook Air has zero issues. My wife’s HP is constantly having some glitch, stuck in software updates, etc, etc. The more time I have to spend fixing that stuff, the less time I’m creating.

Marc Nix November 29, 2017 at 3:31 pm #

I would also say, having a streaming + OTA box would actually appease me greatly even though I know my devices. The way digital devices over HDMI work currently, there is a HUGE delay in switching between video sources. Change a channel, wait a few seconds for it to check resolution and sycn. Change a video source, wait a few seconds for it to reset the stream (and sometimes reset after a reset since it kicks down to a resolution before establishing a standard and setting the signal at the right res.) Sometimes you even play a series of videos on a blu-ray and wait a few seconds (and sometimes you have to rewind since the video is still playing while the video is black) for the TV to change resolution/framerate of the source material. (I assume some players do this better, but my PS4 has to jump all over the spectrum when I’m watching special features on say a Disney BD with multiple mastered resolutions.) Wait, wait, wait. (HDMI 2.1 is supposed to have some fixes for this, we’ll see if they work out.)

I still like channel surfing and multitasking and playing around with different sources. I feel encouraged to check out different things in my media collection if I have convenient access to it. I’m fickle with my choices and have a lot of distractions in my house from those coming and going, and I like to look at different things before I settle down and commit to watching something all the way through. You can’t really do that with modern TVs without a device designed to get you in and out of media. I’m not guessing this new ChannelMaster box will be built for speed, but it’s bound to be a convenient way of tying together different media options if you are still the type of person who turns the TV on first before deciding what to watch, rather than the binge-watchers who approach things the other way around. I still like TV to be something I explore rather than a queue of chosen choices, and this ChannelMaster device is playing into my style of watching TV.

Herman222 November 22, 2017 at 10:33 am #

Also, there are several TVs (eh, displays) on the market that do not have digital tuners. If you bought some Vizio model without a tuner because it was cheaper, this might be a viable option if you now want to get OTA channels. ATSC 3.0 is still years away from full adoption so its not really an issue at the moment.

craig2web November 22, 2017 at 11:29 am #

I wouldn’t touch a TV/display w/o a tuner – that just makes no sense to me. And I like Vizio – I have one of their older smart TVs. When I saw they were selling some w/o tuners, I thought that was a really bad move on their part.

schandorsky November 22, 2017 at 8:35 am #

Will this have a ATSC 3.0 tuner?

Malignar November 22, 2017 at 10:17 am #

I just want to be able to pause my live locals OTA (and DTVN for that matter).

Sunflower November 22, 2017 at 11:32 am #

Yes, that and rewind would be nice for unexpected phone calls or other interruptions.

StreamBuzz November 22, 2017 at 12:10 pm #

If you have Apple TV and an hdhomerun, the channels app does a very good job of exactly that. I’ve used it for almost a year now. Very good stuff.

Fred Koot November 22, 2017 at 10:37 am #

Just get a Shield tv and a usb or network tuner.

Craig Smith November 22, 2017 at 11:42 am #

Maybe 2018 is finally going to be the year Android TV takes off. Between this and DirecTV’s own box…and probably others. I’m glad these companies are beginning to adopt the platform. Especially since Google seems to be neglecting it on the hardware front…for some reason?

Marc Nix November 29, 2017 at 3:43 pm #

I hope so. It has especially taken too long for Android TV recorders to show up. There are a few devices that technically can DVR material, but they’re flakey and their schedulers are awful. I feel like there’s a breakthrough in the Android TV market waiting to happen…

I also would like to see some Android TV boxes with HDMI pass-through make it to market. Having both OTA and streaming in this ChannelMaster box is great, but A) I’m still going to have to switch inputs for my games, and B) the apps for this box will surely go out of support at some point, and hopefully there’ll be a new box to replace it down the line or a firmware hack that takes over what the manufacturer inevitably will not be able to supply, but pass-through would let people channel-surf (and potentially use PiP) without too much futzing over inputs.

ccccc November 22, 2017 at 12:51 pm #

from the “skipper” product page: The set-top box comes with an infrared remote control…so i guess this means the ugly box will have to be in view and not hidden away somewhere

Zouz November 22, 2017 at 5:03 pm #

It’s just the OEM page. It’s Bluetooth now, see the Foxtel Now box or Yes StingTV in Israel.