Authentic scrambled reception on a TV screen

CinemaNow Suddenly Shuts Down Leaving Users Unable to Access Their Movies

Authentic scrambled reception on a TV screenIt looks like the CinemaNow movie store has suddenly shut down and, at least for now, has left subscribers unable to access their movies and TV shows.

You may remember CinemaNow as the streaming service owned by Best Buy from 2010 to 2014. More recently it was sold to FilmOn in January 2016. Since then CinemaNow has laid low and, as best we can tell, back in July 2017 started to shut down some of its services starting with its Canadian store. Followed by UltraViolet removing CinemaNow as a provider back in August 2017.

Recently some of our readers contacted us to ask if we knew why they could no longer access their purchases. Now when you go to the site it seems to redirect you to a streaming service offering international channels powered by the parent company FilmOn.

FilmOn recently tried to get rights to stream broadcast TV over-the-air channels online. The Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals rejected the bid back in March 2017. It seems that FilmOn was hoping to pick up where Areo left off; however, it seems to have been unable to find a legal option to launch its Areo-like service.

For now though we have been unable to find any recent news about the company’s future plans for FilmOn or CinemaNow.

We have reached out to FilmOn for comment and will update this post when we learn more.

20 Responses to CinemaNow Suddenly Shuts Down Leaving Users Unable to Access Their Movies

1. TexMarque September 7, 2017 at 9:04 am #

re: FilmOn lost its appeal to stream broadcast TV, That Aereo type service was all many in this country could really use or want; it’s too bad that Fox and CBS went with cable and satellite providers rather than serve their local viewers who are on the wrong side of the building or just out of range of the digital signals.

2. Jason Weiss September 7, 2017 at 2:47 pm #

This is why you don’t buy digital! Either purchase a hard copy or torrent the stuff. Once more and more of this stuff goes online with multiple bases to choose/purchase from the weak will fall and those who spent their hard earned money will lose.

• Jj September 7, 2017 at 2:49 pm #

If you get ultra-violet movies than you can watch them via a different service even if the original shuts down.

• Cluedweasel September 7, 2017 at 3:05 pm #

So how does that work? I had some UV titles at CinemaNow. When I log into my Vudu account, they’re not there and I can’t re-add them from the physical media code because it has expired.

• Jason Becker September 7, 2017 at 4:21 pm #

Did yOu link your vudu account to your UV account?

• garylapointe September 7, 2017 at 5:47 pm #

Go to Vudu and link your account to your UV content, if you do NOT see it make sure you don’t have 2 UV accounts, I had two (one with a user name one with an e-mail and I think they both had the same e-mail).

I’d go to http://MyUV.com and log out and back in to make sure you have the right ID and password.

• HeyRadar September 7, 2017 at 3:09 pm #

With Flixter gone and now CinemaNow. Who’s left besides Vudu?

• HeyRadar September 7, 2017 at 3:10 pm #

Agreed. The concern about losing all my videos has kept me from jumping onto this service.

• Marc H September 7, 2017 at 3:37 pm #

Resorting to crime is not the answer.

• Jason Becker September 7, 2017 at 4:18 pm #

No, don’t buy from second tier sites. Stay with places like Amazon and you will be fine.

3. Alan Smithee September 7, 2017 at 5:09 pm #

I have one non-Ultraviolet movie on CinemaNow that I can now no longer watch- at least I got it for free with Target Ticket credit, which was then transferred to CinemaNow after THAT shut down! But it just shows that even buying a VHS tape is more secure than buying into this digital nonsense, no matter how hard the industry pushes it.

• garylapointe September 7, 2017 at 5:51 pm #

It didn’t “transfer to” Cinema Now, CN just linked to your UV account. Vudu and FandangoNow can also link and access the same content that Target Ticket put in your UV account.

>But it just shows that even buying a VHS tape is more secure than buying into this digital nonsense, no matter how hard the industry pushes it.

I disagree, this is showing that multiple services can serve as a backup for you.

While your VHS player is wearing out and your tape is degrading, your content IS STILL ALIVE at http://MyUV.com

• Alan Smithee September 7, 2017 at 9:14 pm #

The movie I “bought” from Target Ticket was NOT UV-enabled- it transferred to CinemaNow because they had a deal to pick up everything related to Target Ticket after it shut down, but there’s been no similar arrangement to pick up CinemaNow after its demise. I do have several UltraViolet movies (I usually trade the codes that come with discs for other movies I don’t already have) which have always been viewable on multiple services; the purpose of that was to keep this sort of thing from happening but again that doesn’t help the titles that weren’t UltraViolet.

I have several VHS and Beta machines that should last me for a long time, some of my tapes are now over 40 years old and still play better than the digital movie I’ve lost access to.

• garylapointe September 7, 2017 at 10:39 pm #

My mistake: All my Target Ticket movies transferred to UV (and they were all promos), I didn’t realize they were doing non-UV content.

I don’t buy non-UV movies for that reason. I’m hoping UV survives.

I’m surprised there hasn’t been more of a legal issue about these services going under. When DIVX DVD went under, someone somewhere decided to give everyone $100 refunds (I believe the difference in the cost of the player that supported the DIVX rentals).

It seems like these services would need to do more to make sure your digital library stays alive. From a bankruptcy standpoint or something.

4. garylapointe September 7, 2017 at 5:52 pm #

Didn’t *Cinema Now* shut down a while ago?

While *Flixster Video* just shut down 1-2 weeks ago??

5. Saiko007 September 8, 2017 at 5:13 pm #

I just knew they had no intention of fixing what was wrong with CinemaNow. If they had just let Android phone and Android device users access their CinemaNow libraries by making the app compatible with Android phones as well as Android devices instead of focusing only on Apple products, then they wouldn’t have had to shut everything down. This shutdown is 100% their fault.