ShieldMarvel

To Combat Cord Cutters Cox Cable Rolls Out a $15 a Month TV Streaming Service

Cord cutters have been slowly taking a bite out of cable subscriber numbers and, in the end, bottom lines.

Now a growing list of companies are fighting back with smaller packages to try and offer something they think will pull cord cutters back to their TV service. COX is starting to fight back with a new $15 a month plan.

Here is a email they are sending their Internet-only subscribers.

“Stream Seamlessly & Experience Contour Flex Starter
With Contour Flex Starter, you get five, simultaneous TV streams delivered straight to your devices for $15 per month for 24 months. Just download the Contour App to watch your favorite networks—ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX—in HD on your smartphone or tablet from any room of your house. No equipment necessary! Includes HBO® or your choice of CINEMAX®, SHOWTIME®, or STARZ®.”

Details are thin right now and we have not been able to get more details from COX but it looks like this is a cross between traditional cable and a Sling TV competitor. There are no device rental fees and you get locals, but there is a 24-month contract.

It will be interesting to see what happens with this plan. Will the 24-month contract be a con to you? Or will the $15 a month price point be attractive to you as a cord cutter? Post your thoughts in the comments.

16 Responses to To Combat Cord Cutters Cox Cable Rolls Out a $15 a Month TV Streaming Service

Optic January 7, 2017 at 10:03 am #

I don’t think I’ve ever seen mentioned here that Charter (now Spectrum) has offered something similar ($20 for a bunch of channels plus HBO, and a free Roku 3, no contract) for a while now, at least over a year. It seems like it’s only available to Spectrum internet customers. I only get my internet from them, and they mail me the offers all the time. I couldn’t find the info on their own website, but I found this reference to it: https://slickdeals.net/f/8164446-free-roku-3-with-charter-spectrum-tv-stream-deal-12-99-or-19-99-no-contract

Kristin Noll Marsh January 8, 2017 at 9:44 am #

Unfortunately, they don’t offer it in all markets yet. (We have Charter Internet.) Not that I care much, I get everything I need with Hulu, Netflix, NewsOn, Channel Pear and PlayOn!

Brackeen Ben January 7, 2017 at 12:20 pm #

The contract is a deal breaker.

Cyclist January 7, 2017 at 3:27 pm #

Why tie it to their internet? It would be good to see the cable companies get true competition. Sling and PSN is a start but we need more.

A-Cole Joyce January 7, 2017 at 3:28 pm #

I like the $15.00 per month but dislike the 24 month contract. I prefer not contract at all.

NolaCherie January 8, 2017 at 4:17 pm #

Jon, the Cox employee who commented above, clarified that there is no contract involved.

Jon January 7, 2017 at 6:23 pm #

I work for Cox tech support and wanted to provide some clarification. The discount is for 2 years but there is no contract required. You do have to have Cox internet. Have to be home to watch live tv. You can get a cable box for $5 a month. You may get a bundle discount that can make the service as low as $8 a month. The one problem I have with it is a lack of a dedicated app for Roku, apple tv, etc. Easy enough to use the app on tablet, phone, or website on PC. Of course you can sign into the individual channels apps on smart TV device. The package has been out for about 2 months also.

Scott Lewis January 8, 2017 at 8:42 am #

Without a contract this is a great offering for their Internet customers. For the price of HBO you get your locals.

JJ January 8, 2017 at 12:30 am #

I bet it costs $5-10 more with all the hidden fees.

Lofi January 8, 2017 at 1:58 am #

This does not sound like a deal.. Buyer beware

Matthew Thomas January 8, 2017 at 9:19 am #

I don’t need a package that offers channels I get OTA. I need ESPN minimum. Stick with sling or possibly Hulu when they roll out their new deal.

Kristin Noll Marsh January 8, 2017 at 9:54 am #

I’ve tried both Vue and Sling, but cancelled them both. Just as with cable, there’s nothing on when you want to watch! We still watched other apps 98% of the time. Live streaming was basically background noise and not worth $20-40 a month. Hulu, Netflix, Channel Pear, NewsOn and other local news apps and PlayOn give us access to everything we could ever want. Channel Pear is live streams, but we use the free version that gives us 5 channels. Our library has the Travel Channel (my husband likes to watch it when he doesn’t have any show episodes to catch up on) and the Food network (background noise) and NBC, CBS and FOX for watching football games (we don’t have an antenna.) Since you can change which channels you get at any time, we can drop one for a couple hours if there’s another channel we want to watch for some reason. The streams aren’t always great, but we can’t complain with free, lol!

Gregory Blajian January 8, 2017 at 10:43 am #

Agreed, if the service is not available nationwide, is not available on roku, fire tv etc and is only some of the broadcast networks and one premium channel then it can hardly be considered a competitor to Sling TV, PS Vue or DirecTV Now. Essentially, it is just a premium channel package with some free TV thrown in and it is only a bargain for HBO since the others are available for less elsewhere (Amazon).

James May 4, 2017 at 1:40 pm #

Attractive yes, but contract for 2 years, no thanks.