Comcast Added Over $79 in Fees to One Customer’s Bill

A young woman is sitting in her kitchen and is loking at her receipts at home while using a smart phoneWe have all seen the ads “come back to cable TV for a crazy great rate,” but there are hidden fees and taxes that make that deal a lot less attractive in reality.

Thanks to one of our Facebook group members we get a look at how quickly these fees can add up.

In just one month their $114.99 Internet plus TV bundle jumped to $202.48 thanks to fees and taxes. (Plus $21 in on-demand rentals.)

So let’s break this $79.49 in fees and taxes down.

Additional TV Services: $39.91

The additional TV services fee for this customer was $39.91. Comcast describes this as equipment charges, DV service, premium channels, and on-demand purchases.

The reader says they rented three movies costing $21. The other cost is likely their DVR service fees for $18.91.

Additional Internet Services: $13

According to the Comcast website, the Additional Internet Services fee is for stuff like modem rentals.

Add’l Products, Services & Equipment Fees: $33.96

This one was harder to find information for online. As best I can tell this fee is likely for equipment such as digital adapters for additional TVs.

Other Charges & Credits: $13.23

As best we can tell from the Comcast website this is for “broadcast TV fees and convenience (agent-assisted) fees.”

Taxes, Surcharges, & Fees: $8.39

Local and state taxes can be found here.

Grand total minus the three on-demand rentals: $79.49.

Here is an image of the bill:

Next time you see that “great” TV plus Internet deal, remember all the hidden fees that come with it, and let’s not forget all the price hikes and the long-term contract most companies force on you.

13 Responses to Comcast Added Over $79 in Fees to One Customer’s Bill

1. Fred Koot October 26, 2017 at 7:38 am #

I pay $65 for internet and $45 for Vue. Total $110. Spectrum has am offer Tv+ internet for $80. Then add $20 for Dvr $9 for Rsn and broadcast fees + tax +installation. It winds up being more and thats for one tv.

• Spencer Karter October 26, 2017 at 8:42 am #

Despite having Hulu, Amazon Prime, and NETFLIX. Our DIRECTV bill is about $155 a month (with HD and HD-DVR, etc.) and it’s not cheap sadly. But my stepdad don’t like it when I tell our price of our bill.

• Fred Koot October 26, 2017 at 8:55 am #

My elderly parents pay $130 for just phone and internet with comcast. Tv is free through the community. They just pay because they dont want to think about it.

• Dan October 26, 2017 at 9:21 am #

I saw something similar with my in-laws. They said they got a call and were upgraded to Blast internet which was something like 200 Mbps speeds! They only use internet for email and YouTube. Comcast / Xfinity are will trick the less informed all the time to get more money. We dropped them from 200 Mbps to 10 Mbps and they noticed no difference and their bill dropped significantly. I love speaking to Comast, they quickly realize I can’t be tricked.

• Fred Koot October 26, 2017 at 9:42 am #

Yeah thats the same thing that happend to them. They only use internet to email. I offered to call for them, but they are afraid things will get messed up. They just pay.

• pippy shortstocking October 30, 2017 at 5:41 pm #

That is called “elder abuse” in my opinion-by the the cable company. I am one of the “elders” who is cutting the Comcast TV Cord tomorrow. Here in suburban Chicago, I pay: $68.95 for the “digital starter” package, which does not include any premium or sport package channels, 5.99 for an additional outlet digital adapter, “Broadcast TV Fee” of $7.00, a “Regional Sports Fee of $5.00, a TV “Franchise Fee” of $5.02, and an “FCC Fee” of $0.08, making the total charges for cable TV $92.04-!!!! Am I nuts??? Not anymore. I can get 70 local channels, including the regional sports, FREE with an antenna-and the picture quality is far superior to any cable picture. I ordered Sling Blue for $25/month, so I will still enjoy the very few cable channels I watch. My internet costs 34.95-but I’ve read that Comcast will probably increase my cost for that once I cancel the cable TV. Why didn’t I do this sooner? Better late than never.

• Carl Collie October 26, 2017 at 8:59 am #

I pay 34.99 for Spectrum Internet, and $34,99 for Vue. Total $64.98. The Spectrum Triple Play is $108.76 for 12 months on 1 tv. For 4 tvs like my current setup, the cost would be $128.75 for 12 months, going to a minimum of $158.75 after the intro period is over. It is an easy choice, and I can’t understand why more people are not bailing.

2. pnh October 26, 2017 at 7:47 am #

If I had to write a check to pay this bill, the memo field would say “Bye Felicia”.

3. S. Mays October 26, 2017 at 8:27 am #

This is exactly why I dropped Comcast and DirecTV. I was paying almost $45 a month in rental fees on equipment and there was no way for me to just buy it. I’m not paying $550 a year just to lease equipment to watch TV. Now I own my Rokus and Fire TVs and I pay a flat $39.99 for Vue. And several of those Rokus I got for free just for signing up for 3 months service with services like Sling.

4. David Batten October 26, 2017 at 8:35 am #

Comcast should start sending a big jar of lube with every bill

5. Spencer Karter October 26, 2017 at 8:40 am #

SMH! No wonder why the 2010’s has not been Cable TV/Satellite’s decade. 🙁

6. David Sosa October 26, 2017 at 8:44 am #

Agree that the hidden fees can be a problem..in my area internet + TV is $80 (includes free DVR) but with all the fees ends up being the $100-110 range for 2 years. The package is not that bad..as it comes with ESPN and other popular channels. I’m currently paying internet 40+ DTVN for $40= $80. With taxes then the price goes around $85. So that price difference can be around $15-20 more. The additional fee I see more as a convenience to have all locals and cable content together. The price difference may not sound bad but it doesn’t include HBO which I have with DTVN. If I wanted to have HBO with the cable company then the price goes to $95 without taxes and then the cost different can jump to $40-45 more. So DTVN is my service for sure.

7. Randy Smith October 27, 2017 at 10:29 am #

I’d be boxing up the equipment, driving it to the local Comcast office, and chucking it through their front window. Screw that.