comcastbox

Comcast Is Expanding Their Data Cap Program to New Markets

comcastboxAre you a Comcast subscriber who got used to being data cap free? We have bad news for you…

A few years ago now Comcast stopped enforcing their data caps in an effort to evaluate the program. After some time off, Comcast, starting about a year ago, began to bring back 300GB data caps in some markets to “test” them out…

The final shoe dropped on data caps a few months ago when Comcast announced that the old 300GB data caps are going away and will be replaced with 1TB data caps. (For many subscribers the 1TB is more than enough, but 4K streamers and others can easily go over even that 1TB data cap.)

Now Comcast is slowly rolling out data caps to new markets, most recently the greater Chicagoland market.

Last week Comcast Xfinity Internet subscribers in Chicago started to receive the following email:

screen-shot-2016-07-07-at-4-10-25-pmRecently Yahoo received a manual that was used to train XFINITY call center staff, and part of it was about data caps. And in that manual, Comcast tells their employees not to say that caps are about managing congestion. They even go so far as to say it is not about that at all, leaving many assuming that data caps are seen by Comcast executives as a way to earn more revenues from high end users who do go over 1TB.

For now, this should not affect the vast majority of cord cutters, but, as with all things, as technology grows it is likely that more and more people will go over the 1TB limit.

9 Responses to Comcast Is Expanding Their Data Cap Program to New Markets

KaysGramma July 10, 2016 at 8:08 am #

Luke ~ I think you’re mising part of the article. Where’s the email that you said customers in Chicago started to receive?

Cord Cutters News July 10, 2016 at 11:59 am #

Thanks for the heads up. I have restored the image of the email.

Iacobus July 10, 2016 at 1:55 pm #

My family streams content all the time from services like Netflix and the new SFN TV Now service. Netflix isn’t too bad and you can control the stream if need be but SFN TV Now, though the stream is great-looking, is absolutely insane as far as bandwidth goes. (My router reports one stream is going at about 12 Mbps!) We’ve already hit close to 700 GB since July 1. I’ve been trying to petition SFN to see if I can get an option to reduce the bandwidth down the road.

We don’t have a cap in my area (Massachusetts) but I fear it’s just a matter of time before Our New Overlords at Xfinity™ have a stranglehold. What they also plan to do is charge $10 for every 50 GB one goes over their allotment. (“Please, Comcast, may I have some more?”) To get unlimited bandwidth, you’ll either have to upgrade to a business plan(!) or pay a pound of flesh in the form of $50 more a month.

That email is so patronizing that it’s pathetic. “Hey, don’t worry there, pardner! Most of our customers don’t go over that! Nothing to see here, move along! We’ll bill ya! What? You should be grateful!”

Ben Pike July 10, 2016 at 5:40 pm #

Went with a CableOne business internet plan – it was only $10/mo more than what I was paying for consumer and it’s unlimited… then we dropped cable TV entirely for SlingTV, Netflix, Hulu & Amazon. (Only downside is we went from 100d/2u to 50d/5u – which honestly? For us works just fine and we enjoy the faster upload for backing up to Dropbox, Google Photos, Carbonite, etc…)

Guess it depends on the price differences for Comcast Business internet vs Comcast consumer. Less than $50/mo? Might be worth it..

Iacobus July 10, 2016 at 6:33 pm #

Granted, if I was to pay $50 more, it’d still be lower than what I was paying for a “triple play” package I used to be getting. I was paying about $255/month. I’d be paying about $140 with my current tier of speed (150d/10u) plus the unlimited bandwidth. (It’s about $83 for the tier.)

I could cut the tier down but Comcast isn’t exactly generous with their consumer speed tiers. (And I do a lot of software downloading, though, so I like the speed.) The next tier down is 75d and it’s $3 less at about $80 (minus taxes). (LOL) The next tier from that is 25d for $10 less at about $70. The piddly “starter” 10d plan? $50.

(Can you see why Comcast is one of the most hated companies?) 🙂

Comcast’s pricing for business internet is ridiculous. To get the same tier of speed, I’d pay $180. (And that comes with a 2-year agreement. Yay, contracts!)

Regardless, the whole point of this exercise was to get my money’s worth. I mean, what’s next? They keep raising rates without so much as a note on my bill as it is.

USA Joseph July 10, 2016 at 6:59 pm #

This all about Comcast protecting their systems from the likes of the Sony Vue and DISH’s Sling products. If you want TV, Comcast wants it purchased from them, period.

Iacobus July 10, 2016 at 7:37 pm #

Heck, I’m surprised they even raised the cap to something more realistic (even if not completely so). Illusions and all that.

What’s funny is that Xfinity has a Roku channel now. From what I hear, using their Roku channel doesn’t count towards one’s bandwidth cap. Let that sink in for a moment. lol

USA Joseph July 10, 2016 at 7:45 pm #

I am not clear how they can really tell. I don’t trust a thing these guys say anyway. Hell freezes over before I go back to Comcast.

Iacobus July 10, 2016 at 7:55 pm #

Some guy over at the Roku blog claims he asked Comcast via Twitter if watching their app on the Roku would count towards his cap. Comcast said no, but if I were that guy I wouldn’t take their word for it either.

I’m pretty sure they can check and waive any bandwidth usage via authentication in their Roku channel. Still, that’s asking a lot of Comcast.

Also, I should have noted: I don’t think the channel’s available yet but is forthcoming. (And no, I wouldn’t go back to them either. I would actually enjoy watching them squirm.)