In the past, with Comcast’s Xfinity Mobile service you could stream in HD. Now though if you want to do that you will need to pay an extra $20 a month HD Pass on your plan. This means if you don’t pay you will be limited to SD 480p streaming on Xfinity’s $45 a month unlimited plans for new customers. Existing customers will see no change “at this time” to their plans.
Here is how Comcast describes the HD Pass: “HD Pass – $20 per month per line for an upgrade to HD video resolution on Unlimited lines (720p on phone and 1080p on tablets) and to access faster speeds when the network is congested, such as during concerts and sporting events.”
“It’s a natural evolution of our service that puts each individual in control of building the mobile data plan that works for them and then easily adjusting it with one click of the app – whether to switch data plans mid-billing cycle based on usage, or turn on HD to watch a show and then immediately turn it off to lower data consumption.” Comcast said in a statement on its website.
Here are all the new options Comcast has for their mobile phone plans:
- By the Gig Shared Data – new customers paying per gigabyte on By the Gig can select a minimum amount of cellular data each month shared across all lines on an account. Customers can choose how much they need and share it with their family or across their group of friends – the more shared data a customer selects, the more they will save: 1 GB for $12; 3 GB for $30; and 10 GB for $60. In addition, video will stream in HD (720p on smartphones and up to 1080p on tablets) and personal hotspotting will be at LTE speeds on the new By the Gig data options.
- Data Saver – a new feature that will give customers who pay by the gig the ability to control their video resolution with one click. Customers can turn it on at any time by line even just to watch one show in HD, and then turn it off when they want to save – all for free directly from the Xfinity Mobile app.
- Value Passes – we’re introducing two value passes based on feedback from customers to meet their unique mobile needs:
- Mexico & Canada Call Pass – $10 per month per line for unlimited calls to Mexico and Canada – ideal for those customers with friends or relatives in either country.
- HD Pass – $20 per month per line for an upgrade to HD video resolution on Unlimited lines (720p on phone and 1080p on tablets) and to access faster speeds when the network is congested, such as during concerts and sporting events.
Again for now if you are an Xfinity Mobile customer you will “at this time” see no change to your plan.
Did you know we have a YouTube Channel? Every week we have a live Cord Cutting Q&A, and weekly Cord Cutting recap shows exclusively on our YouTube Channel!