comcastbox
We may earn a commission from purchases through links on our site. You can learn more here.

Comcast Promises to Be Good After Net Neutrality Repeal

Tomorrow the FCC will vote on repealing Net Neutrality. Today Comcast wanted to make it clear that they won’t abuse their powers as an ISP in a blog post by David L. Cohen Senior Executive Vice President and Chief Diversity Officer.

In the blog post Comcast promised the following points:

• Will Comcast broadband customers still be able to visit any lawful site they want to?  Yes.
  • Will Comcast block or throttle access to Internet sites?  No.
  • Is Comcast creating Internet fast lanes?  No, we’ve said consistently we’ve not entered into paid prioritization agreements and have no plans to do so.
  • Will Comcast still clearly post policies on network management? Absolutely, you can find them here.

Comcast went on to say:

“We have repeatedly stated, and reiterate today, that we do not and will not block, throttle, or discriminate against lawful content.  These fundamental tenets of net neutrality are also key components of our core network and business practices – they govern how we run our Internet business.” Said Mr Cohen.

Comcast went on to say that “despite repeated distortions and biased information, as well as misguided, inaccurate attacks from detractors, our Internet service is not going to change.  Comcast customers will continue to enjoy all of the benefits of an open Internet today, tomorrow, and in the future.  Period.”

For now, it looks like the current Net Neutrality rules will end with a vote by the FCC tomorrow. What will happen next is something many are worried about. For now though all we can do is wait and see what will happen next.

Please follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more news, tips, and reviews.

Need cord cutting tech support? Join our Cord Cutting Tech Support Facebook Group for help.

Disclaimer: To address the growing use of ad blockers we now use affiliate links to sites like Amazon.com, streaming services, and others. Affiliate links help sites like Cord Cutters News, LLC stay open. Affiliate links cost you nothing but help me support my family. We do not allow paid reviews on this site. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

27 Responses to Comcast Promises to Be Good After Net Neutrality Repeal

Cooper McChester December 13, 2017 at 5:00 pm #

LOL.. Yeah I believe them…

mnsportsgeek December 13, 2017 at 5:23 pm #

Ya sure, they’ll be good for a year. Maybe 2. But this will change.

Babbette's Butler December 13, 2017 at 5:37 pm #

It’s Christmas time. They’re hoping they won’t wind up on the naughty list. Well too bad, Comcast, Santa has a longer memory than just 2 weeks! I see coal in your stocking’s future!

Me December 13, 2017 at 5:49 pm #

“I the wolf promises to not eat the sheep and my friend the fox promises to not eat the chickens”

John December 13, 2017 at 5:57 pm #

“. . . we do not and will not block, throttle, or discriminate against lawful content” – until we do!

Aaron Quevedo December 13, 2017 at 5:58 pm #

Lol.

Jack Astor December 13, 2017 at 5:59 pm #

Comcast is a crappy company that I would never do business with.
    Net Neutrality is just as crappy and needed to die.

TechSupport December 13, 2017 at 6:17 pm #

I love my Comcast internet service. Couldn’t be happier. The TV side is another thing but that is why I stream tv instead. What are your complaints about Comcast? I have never seen a perfect company and I have seen a lot of them.

Mike Thaler December 13, 2017 at 8:23 pm #

Comcast is a monopoly in many areas. As a monopoly, they should be regulated. When ATT was a landline monopoly, they were regulated. Private electric power monopolies are regulated.

Mike Blakeslee December 14, 2017 at 9:39 am #

Yes! They totally are and do have a monopoly on everything around me. I live in Pennsville, NJ, South Jersey by Delaware, and I shit you not that you can’t get any other ISP down here. Oh wait I can get Verizon but that’s DSL not FiOS at 1.5 mbps and I’d have to bundle that with a telephone line. I’m not complaining with my service, we went the prepaid route. So we own the cable WiFi router and get unlimited 25/1mbps for $45/month. We’re able to stream 3 TVs and use our handheld devices at the same time and there really isn’t any slow down. My main thing is I should be able to choose a different ISP if I want, but unfortunately there are no other ISP’s that offer service around here. So instead of being locked into any contract that’s why we chose the prepaid route.

TechSupport December 14, 2017 at 10:48 am #

Complain to your city because they decide who comes in. The reason they are so big is because they are a lot better than many of the other options out there like Mediacom or Cox. There are no electric monopolies anymore. They were broken up long ago. Comcast is one of MANY options and it is up to your city to choose who they bring in. You can go get satellite. That is available everywhere. Most places DSL is available. And in the next 2-3 years 5G home internet service will be available in most cities. I don’t think you really know what a monopoly is and that makes me think you are in your 20’s or else you would remember ma bell.

Mike Thaler December 14, 2017 at 11:03 am #

I specifically mentioned ATT (aka “Ma Bell”) in my post.
            Electric power is a natural monopoly because you can’t have more than one set of poles on a street. Most electric companies are privately owned monopolies. Very few cities own their electric systems. The largest muni owned system is L.A.
            BTW – I am twice your age!
            You are right that almost all cities gave monopolistic licenses to Comcast, et al to operate in their domains.
            DSL is not a “modern” option – speeds are too slow. Satellite is simply not feasible.

TechSupport December 14, 2017 at 11:16 am #

Comcast is NOTHING like ma bell. Do you even understand how the electric company works? One company supplies the power while the other company delivers the power. You can decide who supplies the power and the government tells the delivering company what they can charge for delivery. There are many options apart from Comcast that you can choose. It is YOUR choice not to use Satelite or DSL. I know they stink but obviously you hate Comcast but you use them apparently so they must be better than the other options. Do you know why XM and Sirius were allowed to merge and not be called a Monopoly? It is because they are an option to AM/FM bands. Those are there competitors. AM may not be a good alternative to satellite radio but they are an option that we can choose. Look I get why some hate Comcast but you are going to be unhappy with any company. They do a great job for me. I will however jump ship and go to 5G home internet as soon as that is ready.
            Are you really 130 years old? That is amazing.

Mike Thaler December 14, 2017 at 1:20 pm #

In Northern Ca, – PG&E is a monopoly in 90% of the area for delivery of gas and electricity. They own the generating plants that produce most of electricity.
            You are right. There are choices. I could ride a horse rather than use a car. We live in condos in Oakland and Miami. Sat is not a choice. ATT does deliver internet (DSL) in both places – not fast enuf for 4K TV. In Oakland, we are one of the few that does have a choice. The whole bldg. got service from Google at $25/unit for 100Mbps up/down by WIRELESS. (I don’t understand the tech.) They put a small antenna on roof and signal is fed thru existing pair of phone wires to each unit. [Look up their subsidiary “Webpass”.]
            Anyway – we are WAY off topic.

Me December 13, 2017 at 9:35 pm #

So when Comcast decides( as partial owner of Hulu ) to allow Hulu to have fast speed and Netflix to be dial-up speed you’re cool with that? because that’s what they will be ale to do when NN is repealed.

Jason Smith December 13, 2017 at 6:34 pm #

So the FCC is voting tomorrow and will likely repeal Net Neutrality. This will allow ISPs to create Fee based “fast lanes” for high bandwidth hogs on their networks, such as Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and even streaming TV services such as Sling and PSVue. They also will now be allowed to throttle and/or reprioritize any traffic going through their networks, and we can bet bandwidth hogs like the formentioned content providers will be targeted. Anyone who believes Comcast’s statement today or any ISP who will abide by an Open Internet is just plain kidding themselves.

Keep in mind most ISPs are TV content providers themselves who have been hit hard by cord cutting this year, and we all can bet our butts they will do anything to stop the bleeding of subscribers from their own pay TV services to streaming. Streamers will raise costs to meet the pending ransoms from ISPs and keep their traffic flowing, bringing the total cost of streaming with an ISP to be on par with or more than getting a TV/Internet bundle from your ISP, otherwise throttling and network prioritization will kill their quality of service and ultimately their businesses. Either way the repeal of Net Neutrality is a win/win for Comcast, Charter, Cox, AT&T, CenturyLink, and the likes of them.

I normally am not of big government imposing regulations, but this one was passed with a good reason and should not be repealed. And this is what really grinds my gears!

Vegas Steve December 13, 2017 at 6:50 pm #

Because we all know what a Comcast promise is worth, right?

TV Barrington December 13, 2017 at 7:15 pm #

“…and have no plans to do so.”

Having no current plans today is vastly different than if they suddenly change their minds tomorrow. It might be a tiny bit more believable if they were to say they promise they will never.

After the FCC votes to remove the rule, legal teams are already prepared to challenge/sue. However, it’s reported this could take a few years for some type of court ruling. It would be interesting to see what might happen between now and when the court date finally happens. Probably nothing much, but if the case is lost, then it seems reasonable that all the “rest assure” statements will be gone, and the fees, tolls, caps, and/or blocking could happen with all of the ISP’s.

Sunflower December 13, 2017 at 9:22 pm #

Read the Nov 28, 2017 article from Nick Frieling ‘Me at Mises.org on net neutrality’. Very interesting to get the Libertarian take on this.

bplewis24 December 13, 2017 at 10:21 pm #

Comcast totally promises not to do any of the things they spent millions of dollars lobbying for the right to be able to do.

Sean Berends December 14, 2017 at 1:26 am #

Oh lord…

Doug December 14, 2017 at 7:46 am #

Every answer to the above questions should be understood to appended by a “not yet.” And a cable company can “promise” all they want, the truth is that a promise does not equate to a contract.

lunytunzfan December 14, 2017 at 10:00 am #

Do you believe Comcast? Do you believe the devil?

widmarker December 14, 2017 at 10:50 am #

If nothing will ever change, then what is the point of reversing net neutrality Comcast? To make your point remotely credible, answer this.

The scariest part of this is not really net neutrality reversal, as bad as it would be. Its that the shilling by Pai for the industry is so amateurish and flagrant and yet somehow happening anyway. Think of how many opportunities there are for less flagrant planted or paid off politicians to push for industry over the people, without such clarity and attention. Drug companies are a big one.

Michael D'Auben December 14, 2017 at 11:18 am #

So, we should take the word of a ceo in an industry that has an almost universal policy of lying to and misleading their customers? Yeah, right.

Rocksleeper December 14, 2017 at 11:59 am #

“We won’t throttle or block websites, we will be neutral!”
    “But you should allow us to be able to anyway..”
    “We won’t do it!”
    “But we want the ability to do it.”
    “I mean REALLY…we will be good! we won’t do it!”
    “But, you should really let us have the ability to do it”

-Comcast and major ISP providers

It’s like 4-year old saying, “I won’t eat the cookie! But you should let me have the cookie.. I promise I won’t eat it! But pwease can I have it?”

Richard December 15, 2017 at 11:12 am #

Riiiiiiiggghhhht. Because Comcast has been so forthright, customer centric and magnanimous in the past.