Chromecast2
We may earn a commission from purchases through links on our site. You can learn more here.

DIRECTV NOW Adds Chromecast Support on iOS

DIRECTV NOW has supported Chromecast on Android since launch. Now starting today iOS users can also access their Chromecast through their iOS app. To get access to the new Chromecast on iOS feature you need to update your DIRECTV NOW iOS app first.

Chromecast on iOS joins a growing list of supported DIRECTV NOW devices including:

• Apple TV
  • Google Chromecast, 2nd gen and higher
  • Amazon Fire TV
  • Fire TV Stick
  • Roku
  • iPad, iOS9 and higher
  • iPhone, iOS9 and higher
  • Android 4.4 and higher
  • Chrome 50+
  • Safari 8+

If you are new to the service DIRECTV NOW has four package options:

• Live a Little – 60+ channels
  • Just Right – 80+ channels
  • Go Big – 100+ channels
  • Gotta Have It – 120+ channels

Chromecast is not the only support that DIRECTV NOW is adding. Responded to a frequent customer request for a recording option by coming up with a plan for a DVR beta. A select group of existing customers have gotten access to the feature while the company tests out the new feature.

The company is also working hard to make improvements on existing features by asking for customer input. AT&T has been looking for feedback about buffering via phone interviews and participants for an in depth study at their offices in El Segundo. This feedback should lead to more improvements and potentially more user-friendly features in the future.

Disclaimer: To address the growing use of ad blockers we now use affiliate links to sites like Amazon.com, streaming services, and others. Affiliate links help sites like Cord Cutters News, LLC stay open. Affiliate links cost you nothing but help me support my family. We do not allow paid reviews on this site. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

9 Responses to DIRECTV NOW Adds Chromecast Support on iOS

WJ Falls August 29, 2017 at 7:27 am #

I was selected to try out the new DVR beta service. Only had a few minor hiccups, but so far, so good.

Cord Cutters News August 29, 2017 at 7:36 am #

William can you tell us more about it? Feel free to use the contact us button and email us some details. We would love to know what you think. Also size of the DVR? 50 hours? 100 hours? unlimited? etc would be great.

WJ Falls August 29, 2017 at 7:44 am #

Sure, I’ll try. Would it be easier to also send some screenshots? And the beta I have gives me 100 hours of recording time. Right now, I’ve only used it to pull up a future show in the guide section, tap the show for more details, and there’s a “Record” button just under the show/movie details. And on “live” broadcasts, if you tap the little dots in the corner, it also gives you the option to record. All of the recordings are stored on a tab within the app called, “My Library”. There, it gives you the option to play the recording, or slide left and delete it. And I just noticed that one of the shows I selected for recording, it only partially recorded the show. Reminds me of a power outage while recording on my set top DVR. LOL.

Cord Cutters News August 29, 2017 at 7:51 am #

Can you email us a screen shot? I would love to look into this! Thank!

mnsportsgeek August 29, 2017 at 7:54 am #

Are you able to extend the time of recordings past the scheduled end date or start them early?

WJ Falls August 29, 2017 at 8:06 am #

As of now, no. It only gives you the option to record, with no other options. Hopefully, they will give us that option in the future and also let us record a complete series.

mau47 August 29, 2017 at 7:30 am #

This will make a lot of people happy.

Daniel Richards August 29, 2017 at 10:43 am #

I don’t understand why it took them 9 months to add this, I’m not effected as I don’t use Apple devices (other then the Apple TV I received for signing up with DTVNow), but I can’t see any reason why adding cast support took so long, it doesn’t take this long to build entire apps from the ground up.

CJ August 29, 2017 at 12:26 pm #

Best news of the day! I tested it out briefly and liked the functionality better than Apple TV. On Demand specifically seemed to work better.