rokup1

DIRECTV NOW Coming to Roku in The “Next Few Weeks”

DIRECTV NOW is coming to Roku in the “Next Few Weeks” Per Chas Smith a Senior Vice President of Roku. This was stated during the TCL press event at CES today.

Chas Smith also added that Comcast’s Xfinity Roku Channel will also come to Roku players in the “next few weeks”.

More updates coming soon.

47 Responses to DIRECTV NOW Coming to Roku in The “Next Few Weeks”

Jeff McLean January 4, 2017 at 5:05 pm #

With all the errors on the apple tv I don’t know why they are expanding to other platforms.

Darren Bratton January 4, 2017 at 6:01 pm #

I’ve used it on the free fire stick they sent…the ‘catch-up’ is pretty useless, most shows I’ve tried to watch have maybe 1-3 episodes…will most likely cancel soon.

Norman January 4, 2017 at 6:05 pm #

DTVN roll out stories are less and less exciting. What’s up with Fubo’s expansion and the long promised Vidgo? So far, at less their no press is better than what’s been playing out at DTVN.

Dean Stibbs January 4, 2017 at 6:58 pm #

I have the 3 mos pre-paid sub for DTVNow, just to get the AppleTV. So glad I kept my Vue sub, too. DirecTV Now is pretty much garbage at this point. Lots of buffering, the VOD / Catch-up is severely lacking for TV shows, and of course no DVR (but I knew that going in).

skyvolt January 5, 2017 at 9:26 am #

I got it for the Apple TV too. I needed one. But the service is frustrating so I just comfort myself by saying, on the brighter side I got a cheap Apple TV. I haven’t reactivated my PS Vue account but I’ll be doing so right after the 3 months end in early March.

If Hulu or Google come up with a better service by March, I will have more choices. If PS Vue gets Viacom back by then, I will go back to them without questioning.

dy January 4, 2017 at 10:12 pm #

Now Xfinity wants to come out with a Roku channel?

Con Sorts January 5, 2017 at 8:31 am #

just my luck it will be limited to 4 core roku 3 or 4’s instead of all v7.5 software capable roku’s.

Will Johnson January 7, 2017 at 3:33 pm #

Hopefully, this “few weeks” will be before I have to pay for another month. I got it on discount because I have a chromecast and can use it now. Patiently (not really) waiting for the Roku app. I’m not seeing the buffering issues that everybody else is. I get just about the same buffering on DTVN as Sling. However I have dropped about 300 bucks on a new modem, router and 2 deep spot terminators, so that may have something to due with it. I’ve paid for 1 month, I’ll probably pay for 2, but I won’t be paying for 3. Hurry the F up!!!!!!!

Brian Wear January 8, 2017 at 3:10 am #

Hey try SFNTV hands down the best and most stable streaming channel on Roku ,try the 7 day trial. You have to logon to your Roku acct online then go to add channel and enter sfntv restart your Roku and it will show up. You can do the same with XTV just enter XTVIPTV in add channel for it… Xtv is free and has lots of cool stuff.

Jackie January 10, 2017 at 11:36 am #

I went on and got it with the free Amazon Fire Stick, just to make sure I got the special $35 deal. So, I’m using the stick now, but I really don’t like Amazon Fire TV’s interface. There’s just too much clutter. I can’t wait to go back to Roku! I just hope DirecTV Now doesn’t do like PS Vue — on the Fire TV, PS Vue had a channel/programming guide, but not on Roku (according to what I read, because Amazon used PS Vue’s app, while Roku built their own). I love having a programming guide, and I really hope they don’t lose it on Roku!

Michele Spory January 11, 2017 at 7:32 pm #

Same with me. I don’t like Fire Stick compared to Roku. I’ve been switching back and forth between the two just for Directv now.

[email protected] March 1, 2017 at 12:33 pm #

same here.. to me the firestick sucks….now its 3/1/17 and no DTVN for Roku!!! Q1 is almost done.

Daniel Richards February 25, 2017 at 1:28 am #

Roku didn’t build their own Vue app, ROKU DOES NOT MAKE APPS FOR OTHER COMPANIES, SONY used one of the TEMPLATES from the Roku SDK because Roku is notoriously hard to code for and Sony’s app developers are IDIOTS that probably can’t even code for Roku (just look at how poorly Vue runs on the Fire Stick compared to DTVNow and Sling) so using the SDK made it easy for them to put out an app, but is also the reason it TOTALLY SUCKS and looks like so many other Roku apps out there.

UncleNine March 8, 2017 at 11:09 pm #

Sorry, I just can’t agree with you re: “Roku is notoriously hard to code for…” Small companies like Plex and MediaMall have written (and support) feature-rich Roku channels. For a company like DirecTV (AT&T) to have problems with this is just very fishy to me. The high-school kids they probably hired to write the Roku channel is just another example of the deal-making (with Apple and Amazon,) and zero-investment mentality that goes back 100 years in AT&T. DirecTV (AT&T) just announced HBO for FREE for one year to their first-adopters. What’s up with that? C’mon DirecTV, get on the BALL and release the friggen’ Roku channel!

Con Sorts February 3, 2017 at 6:32 pm #

*crickets* it’s been a MONTH and still no DTVN on any Roku – so what’s the holdup?

MARC NEGRON March 14, 2017 at 6:41 pm #

Now its been TWO MONTHS and still nothing. 🙁

Justin Chapman April 17, 2017 at 11:35 am #

Now it has been THREE MONTHS and still no app.

Clint Sevilla February 6, 2017 at 2:40 pm #

Still waiting….

knowingisgrowing February 10, 2017 at 12:21 am #

Hahaha, its been a month. WTF.

cwjuhl February 14, 2017 at 8:11 pm #

Hmmm. This was from January 4. It is now February 14. A “few weeks” has come and gone and still no directTV now on Roku.

jjimg1474 February 15, 2017 at 6:30 am #

I hate to give up the $60 package that I got for $35, but if Roku is not available by noon today…Directv Now is gone. And if the constant buffing is present with the Roku as it is with Apple TV, Chromecast, and the Fire Stick, it will be gone. I have had enough!

leahsmomndad February 20, 2017 at 2:23 am #

lol

Nick Brown February 20, 2017 at 10:11 am #

Uhh…

Daniel Richards February 25, 2017 at 1:23 am #

“Next Few Weeks”, guess thats the same definition as there “SOON” that they’ve been saying for 2 months in regard to the REMOVED 72 hour rewind, someone needs to teach these idiots the definition of a “few weeks” and “soon”

John Greenfield February 26, 2017 at 10:20 am #

Is there an update to the DIRECTV NOW for Roku?

jeff February 27, 2017 at 11:15 am #

Hate it when they say a few weeks and its going on 2 months. Guess its the same as saying a few days that turn out to be a week

Steve Dunn February 28, 2017 at 6:07 pm #

They shouldn’t have announced it would be coming to Roku if they were not going to keep their timeline. Apple TV is inferior to Roku in picture quality and ease of operation. Directv Now needs to be reminded that the competition is breathing down their necks and will work on Roku from the beginning!!
    “Google Officially Announces Their New Live TV Service – Will Include Local Channels & DVR” It will cost the same as Directv Now per month.

MrLightRail March 3, 2017 at 4:04 am #

It’s now MARCH, and still no ROKU support!!!

knowingisgrowing March 3, 2017 at 6:28 pm #

next few weeks, next few months, never, same thing.

UncleNine March 4, 2017 at 10:58 am #

All I have to say is, “WTF?” DTV: Where is the friggin’ Roku channel????

n9yty March 4, 2017 at 4:22 pm #

They can’t even get the Apple TV client to play properly. Espedcially on-demand content, it CONSTANTLY freezes the video while the audio keeps playing. I read other reports of this, nothing unique to me. My iPad works fine, so I have to Airplay my iPad to the Apple TV to watch these shows. Pathetic.

Dale Atwater March 5, 2017 at 2:16 pm #

Hello?

Jdog March 7, 2017 at 1:51 pm #

Vaporware

knowingisgrowing March 9, 2017 at 8:44 pm #

This is hilarious, actually. I mean at 1st I was mad, but I’ve since cancelled and moved on. But really, I’d expect a ROKU mod to chime in , at least, on their official forums/blog and be like “ya, we’re confused too, checking with DTV, etc” but it’s just silence on both ends.

Bob Farrace March 13, 2017 at 8:22 am #

Make that two months…

SpiritualDrummer March 16, 2017 at 3:43 pm #

I saw that it was coming in the first quarter of 2017. They got two weeks left.

Bill_in_Tx March 16, 2017 at 8:09 pm #

When he said weeks did he mean 14? It is mid-March and nothing on Roku. I bought this damn Roku 4 because I thought I would be able to stream DirecTV Now and it has become a paper weight. I knew I should have just bought another Apple TV,

knowingisgrowing March 23, 2017 at 3:32 pm #

ROKU updated their blog from “1st quarter” to “2017”. They provided no other comments, just edited the original article.

Sounds like talks between ATT and ROKU are null.

UncleNine March 25, 2017 at 1:22 pm #

The “official” Roku blog on this topic was recently changed from “early first quarter” to “in 2017.” No more. AT&T/DTVN has said NOTHING. This is very fishy to me. Of course, it’s not Roku’s place to say anything. The Behemoth AT&T’s lawyers could tie up Roku for a decade if they wanted to.

The other comparable streaming services (Sling TV, Netflix, HBO NOW, and many more) all have Roku channels up and running–and running very well. In the total absence of -any- communication from AT&T, all I can say is, “Fishy.”

Nick Brown March 29, 2017 at 2:35 pm #

In fairness, those other streaming services have decent apps on other devices too. If we can judge the quality of DirectTV’s developers by the quality of their Android app, I can certainly see why it might take a while to get it working on Roku.

UncleNine March 25, 2017 at 1:27 pm #

The “official” Roku blog on this topic was recently changed from “early
    first quarter” to “in 2017.” No more. AT&T/DTVN has said NOTHING.
    This is very fishy to me. Of course, it’s not Roku’s place to say
    anything. The Behemoth AT&T’s lawyers could tie up Roku for a
    decade if they wanted to.

The other comparable streaming
    services (Sling TV, Netflix, HBO NOW, and many more) all have Roku
    channels up and running–and running very well. In the total absence of
    -any- communication from AT&T, all I can say is, “Fishy.”

Chad W March 26, 2017 at 2:09 pm #

It’s almost April. DirecTV looking like fools about right now.

knowingisgrowing May 22, 2017 at 8:08 pm #

lol…. going on June now. What a crock of shit.