Latin woman looking disappointed at her laptopscreen, sitting behind her desk at the office.

DIRECTV NOW Went Down After a New Build Was Pushed Out

Authentic scrambled reception on a TV screenFor the second time, this week DIRECTV NOW is down according to several of our readers and posts we found on Reddit and has been for a few hours according to reports for our readers. This outage is happening shortly after AT&T pushed a new build of the beta app out and it is possible there is some connection there. (Please note DIRECTV NOW has multiple servers. It is possible to have your connection be down but other DIRECTV NOW subscribers still have access.)

Update: Some readers are now reporting that the service is starting to come back online. It looks like DIRECTV NOW was down between one and two hours tonight.

Update #2: If your DIRECTV NOW is still down fully exit the app and relaunch the DIRECTV NOW app.

This outage comes a few days after the last outage one AT&T has yet to release a statement on. DIRECTV NOW also had issues last weekend but was not the only service to struggle this week. Over the weekend many live TV streaming services and even WatchESPN went down from over demand.

With this recent string of outages, it is starting to look unlikely that the new DVR will come out this month as we earlier predicted.

So what happened with all the recent outages?

As best we can tell over the weekend what has happened is a rush of new subscribers and unexpected demand in viewership has left streaming services struggling to keep up. This is not just from cord cutters but also cable subscribers wanting streaming access to their shows as seen with WatchESPN.

For tonight though its hard to say but it is very likely that it has something to do with the new update AT&T pushed out. It could be a coincidence but with the crash happening shortly after the build was pushed out makes it very likely that there is a connection.

According to reports over the last few weeks streaming services have been rushing to expand compacity to handle the demand. Why is it so slow in the day and age of on-demand hosting? Security is a big part of it. The contracts streaming companies have with the content providers don’t allow them to just put the content on any old server. These servers must be secure with a secure connection to prevent pirate streams coming from them.

So why this outage? Well at this time we are unsure it is very possible that it was a physical hardware failure or an effort to update the system crashed DIRECTV NOW.

We have reached out to AT&T and will update this post if we learn more.

Need cord cutting tech support? Join our Cord Cutting Tech Support Facebook Group for help.

34 Responses to DIRECTV NOW Went Down After a New Build Was Pushed Out

1. SinMidnight January 5, 2018 at 9:53 pm #

I use Fire Sticks to watch DTVN and they usually buffer for a second or two every 10 minutes or so. Tonight is the best it’s worked since I’ve gotten DTVN. Hasn’t buffered a single time in the last couple of hours I’ve been watching.

• SinMidnight January 5, 2018 at 10:27 pm #

Spoke too soon. Had a couple of minor buffers. Still nowhere near as bad as it usually is.

2. Mike Finley January 5, 2018 at 10:05 pm #

I do Roku for my DTVN, yesterday was horrible, worst it’s ever been, finally gave in and caught up on some Netflix, Mystery Classics, etc. Today really pretty good, very very few buffers, and the evening hrs. are the worst. C’mon AT&T, get this baby smoothed out, you’ll be glad, we’ll all be glad, we want this to work out, we like it!

3. Robin Carmack January 5, 2018 at 10:56 pm #

I am not having any issues tonight to this point on an Apple TV

4. Collin Miller January 5, 2018 at 11:07 pm #

The beta app is working fine for me on my Apple TV

5. TaiPeng January 6, 2018 at 12:55 am #

I use YouTube TV now. Hulu’s Boomerang has streaming issues. Youtube TV just worls. I can stream network TV. DTVN will never get any better or ever have DVR. I won’t wait for them to never achieve anything.

• Scott January 8, 2018 at 5:24 pm #

YouTube needs to expand device support. Once they do, I’m right there with you.

6. filmex January 6, 2018 at 7:17 am #

Sounds great! Where do I sign up ? I have so much money I am more than willing to fund DTVN’s efforts while they try and figure this whole thing out. They shouldn’t have to pay for their R & D on their own dime, should they.

• bellsfolly January 6, 2018 at 7:30 pm #

7. Lisa Teppenpaw January 6, 2018 at 7:34 am #

mine now has a pause button but no record button yet

8. NCAviator January 6, 2018 at 10:05 am #

You are confusing many things in this article. To my knowledge only the BETA DTVN DVR APP was updated last night. I got the email from AT&T and upgraded to build 439 on Apple TV. The regular APP was not updated. To my knowledge the new build had no new features. I also see no improvement in any of the usability challenges in the beta. Guide not staying on your selected filter for example. No indicator of recordings set in the guide as another. I also did not experience any playing issues.

When you report; please try to differentiate issues with the BETA and the production software and experiences.

I have received 3 new builds in the last two weeks. Some during the holiday week. I would not be surprised if AT&T is using off shore developers.

Here are the issues that I am still having with the beta on AppleTV.

1) Even when I have no recorded shows, my playing time usage shows 18 hours left instead of 20. It thinks for some reason that I have used 2 hours of recording.
    2) When I go to the guide, it always shows ALL shows even if I filter to FAVORITES. At least now all my local stations show in the guide. In Chrome, none of my local stations show in favorites.
    3) In the guide there is no indication that a show is set to record. No RED DOTS like most STB or DVR solutions.
    4) The WATCH NOW page does not update when the time/shows change. It still shows the old shows from when you last updated. Only work around I have found is to scroll over to GUIDE and then back to WATCH NOW.

9. Garry January 6, 2018 at 10:11 am #

Quit reporting on BETA, it is not news. BETA is a test to work out these issues before it goes live, and there will always be issues.
    Check your spelling before you publish. “expand compacity”.

• BMH72 January 6, 2018 at 11:11 am #

It’s not just the BETA. I have DTVN and I don’t have the Beta but I also had the connectivity issues.

• Joseph ewing January 6, 2018 at 11:42 am #

Who pays to be a BETA tester?

• Garry January 6, 2018 at 12:30 pm #

It’s an additional separate app FREE.

10. Rob Wolfenden January 6, 2018 at 10:13 am #

From the initial launch DirecTV now has had issues. Features to compete with the other services was one red flag. An industry term would be the promise of vaporware. Still haven’t seen it yet. Even the beta though it’s a beta at this point should be close to market but it’s functionality is no where near ready. I’ve been a subscriber since launch day in November 2016. I kept the service because I’m only paying $35 for the go big package. I’m hoping, but I believe the IT department needs to do an emergency evaluation of how they are handling releases, maybe they seriously need to read the Phoenix Project.

• James Webb January 6, 2018 at 12:39 pm #

Same here & I agree. What bothers me is that while all these other services have had DVR & other features DTVNow had all of 2017 to work on them. They waited too long to get started & are taking too long after the fact. If not for the Go Big promo I would not give them my money, but even with that I’m considering my options.

• Stephen D Irvine January 6, 2018 at 5:16 pm #

I started AT&T DirecTV NOW in1/2017. Service has never been good. Now 12 months in and no better. They have missed every deadline. I’m giving them ’til 2/1/2018 for the DVR. If no DVR and no improved service – I’m going to P S Vue. One more thing, I cancelled, in the past, three other AT&T services. AT&T Long Distance, AT&T Cellular Service and AT&T DirecTV Sat. Service. Looks like AT&T DirecTV NOW will be number four!

• trebor99 January 8, 2018 at 1:24 pm #

I’ve said it before, but it’s still applicable. The technical staff should be summarily fired, and the leadership should resign in disgrace…

• Rob Wolfenden January 8, 2018 at 1:59 pm #

If you (in general, not you specifically :-)) read The Phoenix Project, it may not completely be the technical group that’s at fault. When companies try to push products before they are ready to market, then you get crappy products that are always work in progress. As we are now. They released the DirecTV NOW product as it was in 2016. Now they are spending all there time fixing issue with that and trying to get features in the Beta. So instead of working on one project they are now doing double work so everything is slowing down in the system. And the usual cause is over-promising releases. They are promised by managers and Administration (ie. CEO, COO, CIO, to their board members and stockholders.

• Tom Austen January 9, 2018 at 12:23 pm #

In the days of the old Bell System, AT&T was considered a tech giant. The U.S. telephone network was the envy of the rest of the world, and the phone sets made by the Western Electric division were tops. Clearly something has changed…for the worse.

• trebor99 January 10, 2018 at 10:42 am #

It doesn’t matter where you lay the blame from a consumer perspective. What matters is DTVNow is crap, AT&T knows it’s crap and they don’t care. AT&T has priced their offerings well below market as a mean to entice high subscriber volume which neither their hardware of software can handle. None of this is rocket science, it’s just a poor implementation combined with inadequate capacity. AT&T should step up and refund everyone their money back.

11. Mark Russo January 6, 2018 at 10:31 am #

Buffering seems to occur more on highly rated shows. the more people watching the more buffering. DTVN really needs to get their act together i’ll give them one more month than i am switching services.

• BloodLust January 7, 2018 at 11:17 pm #

I said that months ago….One more month……Okay, One more month…..About 7 of those went by. We finally “cut the cord” on DTVN a few weeks ago and have zero issues now.

12. Soo Goh January 6, 2018 at 11:13 am #

Compacity is not a word. I think you mean capacity. This word is on all your DirecTVNow outage articles. On a different note, I’ve been quite happy with SlingTV.

13. Jack Astor January 6, 2018 at 12:13 pm #

Mine hasn’t worked right for about a week.

Every single channel shows up in the guide and when I select a channel to watch that is in my package it says I am not subscribed to it.

Only way I can change the channel is to scroll up and down. It is a total mess and DirectTV Now is no help at all.

Have cancelled my service and will not be returning anytime soon.

14. Sean Berends January 6, 2018 at 7:47 pm #

15. Robert Lyons January 6, 2018 at 8:39 pm #

Heck, I cannot even get to their website to cancel. It just shows a blank, black screen after the login.

16. trebor99 January 7, 2018 at 10:54 am #

The real question is, has DTVNow ever really been “UP?” What angers me is DTV knows it’s technically insufficient, but they’re focus is on expanding their subscriber base, not making it a usable experience. I assume their logic is offer it cheap enough and people will tolerate it.

• BloodLust January 7, 2018 at 11:15 pm #

That’s because they are *H*T company that only cares about gathering up the customers they are losing from Sat TV. They’ve had over a year now to up there streaming capacity and fix most of these “minor” problems. They have next to no tech support and I would guess 4 college nerd programmers working part time during their study hall break trying to “fix” things. I would imagine when most of these “new” subscribers getting a whiff of the crappy service and broken promises they will bail.

17. delow24 January 7, 2018 at 2:05 pm #

They have made some real backwards steps since the mid-December time frame. For the previous six months or so there was very little buffering, and not quite as many problems. Since December though, it has been frequent blue squares of buffering, grey screens of no connection, random drops of the feed, and the app being completely down. I am getting tired of constantly missing the program I was wanting to watch at 9pm ET and having to get on some stupid chat to India.

18. Tom Austen January 8, 2018 at 11:08 am #

A service that goes down during prime time clearly isn’t “ready for prime time.” All of the issues mentioned in the article and the user comments validate my decision to stick with Vue. It isn’t the cheapest service, but you obviously get what you pay for. Sony has been bashed for the dropping of Viacom and other favorite channels (when they should have been thanked for not caving in to content provider greed), the delays in adding local channels, the switch to uniform pricing (i.e., dropping the Slim discount), etc. Are you really better off with a $35 service that repeatedly crashes, buffers, and STILL doesn’t have DVR?

• Scott January 8, 2018 at 5:12 pm #

Nope! That’s why I dropped DTVN yesterday and am trialing both Hulu Live and Sling.

19. Scott January 8, 2018 at 5:22 pm #

Major problem I see, other than a crappy product, is that AT&T/DTVN has serious customer communication issues. With constant service problems they don’t seem to have a cohesive way to explain to their user base what the exact cause is and therefore offer the user any hope of eventual solution. I suspect as a result they are seeing serious attrition over the last several weeks. On the other hand, maybe that is their intended solution.