fire-tv-2

DIRECTV NOW Rolls Out Fire TV DVR Beta to All Beta Testers

Last night DIRECTV NOW expanded their DVR beta for the Fire TV to all DIRECTV NOW Beta Testers. In the past, only a select few beta testers had access to the DIRECTV NOW Beta Test on the Fire TV. There is one catch you need to be using a 2nd gen Fire TV box like the one pictured above. (We are not sure about 2nd gen Fire Sticks and will try to test that out shortly.)

To get the beta app you need to follow the instructions in the email sent out to DIRECTV NOW Beta testers last night:

Hello Testers,

Kicking off the new year to a good start!  We’d like to invite everybody with a 2nd generation Fire TV device to start beta testing.  Please see below for instructions on how to get started.  If you’re already testing on Fire TV, please disregard this message and keep on testing – we appreciate your feedback!

How to download the beta app to your compatible Fire TV device

Keep in mind that the Fire TV experience is not as far along as the other devices you’ve been testing, but it’s close!  We need your feedback to help make improvements, so test away!  Please note that the beta app is only compatible with 2nd generation Fire TV devices.

1. From your compatible 2nd Gen Fire TV device, navigate to search and type exactly “directv now” and hit select from the results
  2. Once results start appearing scroll to the right, then select the DIRECTV NOW Beta (invite only) app
  3. Once redirected to the beta app page, select “Get Free to download”
  4. After the beta app has downloaded, open the app and login with the User ID/Password you’ve already been testing with

If you have trouble downloading the app, please get help from one of our DIRECTV NOW CARE agents.  Just click here and select the ‘Chat available’ link at the bottom.  Don’t forget to let your CARE agent know that you’re a DIRECTV NOW Beta tester.

Need cord cutting tech support? Join our Cord Cutting Tech Support Facebook Group for help.

37 Responses to DIRECTV NOW Rolls Out Fire TV DVR Beta to All Beta Testers

1. Angelo Messina Jr January 13, 2018 at 8:13 am #

2. wildcatmo January 13, 2018 at 8:51 am #

Works with the fire stick.

3. bayportbob January 13, 2018 at 9:08 am #

more people sucking on the servers, this should mean they added more server capacity or this will show them with certainty that they might need to. the latest beta was acting up yesterday during the day for me.

4. SeaRover January 13, 2018 at 10:10 am #

Looks to me like DTVN has a winner for the Fire TV. I’ve been using PSVue for over a year and I’m a fan. But DTVN has a lot of little features that aren’t available on PSVue. Unless I find a show stopper, I’ll be switching to DTVN.

5. Kal January 13, 2018 at 10:59 am #

This one is a winner. New guide is great, channel switching very fast, no lags or glitches when watching recorded programs.

6. mcondor January 13, 2018 at 12:04 pm #

I agree with others that this is a significant improvement
    over the current Fire TV app! I am testing using 2nd
    gen Stick – it doesn’t show up as a possible load
    for the 1st gen stick.

The channel changes are very quick – channel surfing is
    now a possibility!

On the DVR front, my tester has 20 hours, but it DOES allow
    rewind and fast forward with 15 sec quick skip buttons on
    recordings.

Also I noted that the recorded shows are at about 1/2 live quality:
    30fps, vs 60fps live, and half the bitrate.

7. Scott Shell January 13, 2018 at 12:46 pm #

Alas, despite signing up for the beta I still haven’t been invited to participate. I even use a fire TV to watch DTVN.

• mcondor January 13, 2018 at 2:30 pm #

Just try downloading the app as instructed in the article. If your beta login
      works then you are in!

• Scott Shell January 13, 2018 at 5:12 pm #

No dice. I guess I’ll just have to wait.

8. REP January 13, 2018 at 1:44 pm #

It’s night and day with the Beta. It is what i hope it happens and it did. It loads the channels almost instantaneously and at HD quality right from the beginning. The only thing i wish for is thumbnails showing up when fast-forward or rewind. This is sorely needed and i have wrote them feedback.

9. mcondor January 13, 2018 at 3:59 pm #

Well all the recordings I made this a.m. for testing are now gone.
    Also all the future recordings I set are gone, plus I can not set
    any new recordings.

Until today that was my situation since the start of this past week.

• mcondor January 13, 2018 at 5:36 pm #

Just got an email with the Subject “Um, we goofed. . .”

Hi Testers,

We’re plugging away on updates to the beta program and found a problem with previously-recorded Cloud DVR programs and future recording settings for a small number of testers. Unfortunately, yours was one of the accounts impacted. What this means is that your previously recorded programs won’t play, and you’ll need to reset future recordings.

Although this is still a beta program and we’re still tidying up things here and there, things like this aren’t what we want your experience to be and we’re already working to ensure that it doesn’t happen again.

Our apologies for this. Thanks for hanging in there and helping us make this a better product by being a beta tester.

• Kevin B January 13, 2018 at 11:23 pm #

I had the same email. I also have been getting a lot of errors popping up with atv4. What’s strange is it worked great the first few weeks of starting beta and now it’s been going downhill. Hopefully just temporary.

• Mark Tiedemann January 14, 2018 at 3:51 am #

On my iPad I have been getting “something is wrong” error popping up all the time, this just started on Saturday.. I can click on ok, sometimes it will pop up again, but eventually it goes away, and the stream still continues playing.

• Mark Tiedemann January 14, 2018 at 3:51 am #

I was more surprised that they actually communicated something with us… I have had DVR issues in the past, but never any word from them. In fact, the issue they are reporting I did not even experience.

Hopefully they will continue that trend and keep us more updated as far as issues.

10. Bobby Movva January 13, 2018 at 4:51 pm #

Hi how are you guys downloading the beta app. I am searching Directv Now. It only shows the regular app

• Angelo Messina Jr January 13, 2018 at 8:16 pm #

It’s because it’s a invite only app you have to be invited to receive access to the Fire tv App Beta

• Bobby Movva January 13, 2018 at 9:19 pm #

I am already a Apple tv beta tester. According to the email I received I am supposed to search directv now in the fire tv search to see beta app

• Angelo Messina Jr January 13, 2018 at 9:35 pm #

You searched on the Fire TV app store is that correct

• Bobby Movva January 13, 2018 at 10:21 pm #

I am searching in the search in the top left of the main interface. The magnifying lenses in the corner

• Angelo Messina Jr January 13, 2018 at 11:15 pm #

I would suggest you to live chat Directv Now Customer Service so that they can help you download the app for your device

• Respected Citizen January 14, 2018 at 8:41 pm #

I had to type “directv now” in the search box. Saying it into the remote didn’t work.

• Mark Tiedemann January 14, 2018 at 3:50 am #

Do you have a current generation Fire TV? Those who have the 1st generation won’t see it if you search for it.

11. mnsportsgeek January 13, 2018 at 5:16 pm #

Happy to hear that the beta on FireTV is working great. I can only hope other platforms are not far behind. Too bad I don’t have a FireTV to test it out.

I got in to the Chrome beta and it’s lousy. Haven’t been able to get in to any other platform’s beta.

12. Cableguy January 13, 2018 at 5:30 pm #

CC is turned on each time I launch the beta app. A little annoying.

• REP January 13, 2018 at 6:28 pm #

Yea i notice that too. You have to turn it off using the FireTV settings under Accessibility.

• Cableguy January 13, 2018 at 6:41 pm #

Got it, thanks.

13. CoryinCali January 13, 2018 at 7:10 pm #

Anyone notice we have all the Starz channels (all of them). I cannot find any trial offering this weekend, nor am I subscribed to Stars, but they appeared in my guide today. And they work. Using Beta App….

Update, Starz does not appear in the Web Page Guide, only on my Apple TVs guide…

Personally, I subscribe to Starz directly because DTVNOW restricts to only two Stars channels on the Go Big package, which I have. You must have the expensive package to get all Starz channels. STUPID.

14. Lynnneez January 13, 2018 at 10:01 pm #

I don’t get it. I have had beta for Fire TV for a couple of months now for my Fire TV 3. When I got it , they didn’t specify a version of Fire TV but I have it on my Element Fire TV and also on my Fire TV 3 dongle. I specifically don’t have it on my Fire TV 2, which my Element Fire TV replaceed. Did they do Fire TV 3 before version 2?

Otherwise it works and looks almost the same as the regular Direct TV not in Beta on my Fire TV…still buffers way too much, still crashes except now I have DVR.

15. MrB January 13, 2018 at 10:19 pm #

Looks good. Not able to play football game but other channels work. Still buffers with ATT U-verse internet. Curious to see if DVR replay works later.

16. Mark Tiedemann January 14, 2018 at 3:49 am #

I downloaded and installed this the other day. My first thoughts: I am impressed! The streams all look great, (NBC is not working), channel changing is fast, the guide is fast, and it also starts over, so you can go from W’s back to A without having to scroll all the way back up.

With all the complaints I hear about the slow guide on the Apple TV, I was expecting the same thing.

You also have an option to sort the guide by the DirecTV channel numbers if you want that.

My only complaint is that accessing the guide takes more steps then what is needed. There are 3 buttons on the Fire TV remote (up, down, menu) that all point to the same screen, one of those buttons should just automaticlly go to the guide.

• REP January 14, 2018 at 12:52 pm #

Exactly.

17. Kirby Baker January 15, 2018 at 8:15 am #

Surprised at the speed of the app on the 2nd gen FTV Stick. I was expecting the worst experience in the guide, but its noticeably faster than either of my Apply TV 4’s (32G and 64G).

I wish the folks at Amazon would have had the foresight to add volume control to their remotes. Huge fail on their part. They have real estate on the remote face for buttons, or they could have used buttons on the side of the remote similar to cell phones.

• bloosheep January 15, 2018 at 9:19 pm #

There are two devices that piggyback on the Fire TV remote to provide TV control (volume, source, power, etc) — the Sideclick and the Mission TV Remote Add-On for Fire TV (they need a better name). I have the Mission TV model and it’s convenient.

18. John Smith January 16, 2018 at 8:39 am #

I’ve been a DTVN beta user on Chrome for a while now… They had promised to add me for the Fire TV 2nd gen, but never did until shortly after I chatted with DTVN customer service to complain about that a couple of days ago. Then I got the 2nd email the next day with the instructions for using the beta on the Fire TV.

Easy to download and install on the Fire TV 2nd gen box. Only gripe is, about half of the programs / series that I initially attempted to mark for DVR recording drew error messages from the DTVN Fire TV interface, saying “Whoops something went wrong.” Couldn’t discern any pattern between the choices that would mark for recording and those that failed.

Among the fails, an ABC primetime series, a Fox primetime series, and two USA primetime series. But at least, the couple of NFL playoff games that I marked for recording on CBS and Fox seemed to be accepted, though I haven’t checked back yet to see if the recordings “stuck.”

One small but good thing I noticed re the Fire TV beta is that once you select the Channel Guide to display just your favorites channels (as opposed to all channels), it sticks with that setting in the beta. In the regular Fire TV DTVN app, annoyingly at least for me, every time you re-enter the app, it automatically reverts back to the all channels setting for the Channel Guide.

19. Rey White February 3, 2018 at 1:09 am #

Just received an email that there are updates for the Directv Now Beta app. How are we to update the software? Is it done automatically? For my smartphone, I just download the updates. For the Fire Stick, there is no way to download the updates. Does anyone know how to make sure I’m updating the software just by continuing to use it?

20. John Smith February 4, 2018 at 8:19 am #

I got the same DTVN email. In typical DTVN fashion, for both Chrome browser, Android and Fire TV platforms, the email talked about improvements in “end-card functionality.” I’ve used DTVN on both Chrome, Android and FTV, and I have no idea what that means!!!! I wonder how many other of their subscribers are equally baffled by what they’re talking about.