Happy young woman watching television on sofa

DIRECTV NOW is Sending Out More DVR Invites Tonight

Did you miss out on the first few rounds of DIRECTV NOW DVR invites? Well, go check your email as AT&T is sending out a massive number of DVR invites today.

If you want to see if you got an invite to the DIRECTV NOW beta make sure to check the email address you gave AT&T and look in your spam to make sure it didn’t end up there.

Here is part of the email that is going out to new beta testers today:

Based on your signup response and app availability, in the next 24 hours you will be provided access to the DIRECTV NOW Beta app for the following device(s):

• Apple TV (tvOS): You will receive a separate email invitation from ‘TestFlight’ in the next 24 hours.  Once received please visit the beta FAQ for instructions.
  • Amazon Fire TV/Stick: You will receive a follow-up email with further instructions in the upcoming weeks.  You will not have access to the Fire TV beta app at this time – please hang tight!
  • Desktop Web (Chrome and Safari only): For testing on web, please follow these instructions.

Did you get a invite? Leave us a comment and let us know.

Please follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more news, tips, and reviews.

Need cord cutting tech support? Join our Cord Cutting Tech Support Facebook Group for help.

45 Responses to DIRECTV NOW is Sending Out More DVR Invites Tonight

1. TheEnd December 13, 2017 at 9:07 pm #

But not on Roku of course not smh

2. Christopher Smith December 13, 2017 at 9:11 pm #

Just received my Beta invite tonight. Will find out in 24 hrs on what device I have been accepted into. Looking forward to testing this soon and provide feedback.

3. JenH December 13, 2017 at 9:17 pm #

Got an invite about 4 hours after I cancelled my subscription. 🤔 Coincidence perhaps? I only signed up for that 2 months of 50% off promo they had just around Halloween. The latest email said I have to be an active user in order to have “a chance to be among the select few” at participating in the beta program.

4. Mountaindewz December 13, 2017 at 9:42 pm #

I just received an invite! I have a question about the beta.

Will I still be able to use my regular DTN Apple Tv app? Or will the beta version become the default?

I really want to try it, but curious if this is in connection with the other app or if it completely separate.

• Max Kamm December 13, 2017 at 9:54 pm #

Yes it doesn’t replace the other app

• LMan December 14, 2017 at 8:47 am #

Yes, you can use both the Beta and the Non-Beta versions of DTVN. The Beta versions icon is white and clearly states Beta. Your need to log into the new beta app the first time you launch it.

• Scott Blanchard December 14, 2017 at 8:57 am #

Completely separate. The icon is white and has “BETA” at the bottom vs the black icon of the standard app so its easy to tell them apart.

5. On The Spot December 13, 2017 at 9:43 pm #

Got an invite on this round as well, No Roku (yet, at least according to the form) and no Android TV either, so we’ll see if my Android Tablet or the Web Interface gets me in.

6. Joe Siegler December 13, 2017 at 9:49 pm #

They sent out some invites a week ago – I got one of those. Filled it out, but never heard anything, so I guess I didn’t make the cut, apparently. 🙁

• Joe Siegler December 14, 2017 at 10:28 am #

Filled it out a second time, and this time I got in, so I’m on iOS as well as browser.

I have 20hrs, and also can’t fast forward. I haven’t seen any missing channels from the regular product, however.

• muledoggie December 14, 2017 at 10:49 am #

Same here. Never got the response after filling out the invite last week. Maybe I’ll get a new one, too. I’m 4k Apple primary but also web and IOS.

7. Max Kamm December 13, 2017 at 9:57 pm #

I received one 2 hours ago however it bugs me that it’s only 20 hours. It’s also bugs me that Freeform, Disney, and Nick Networks you cannot fast forward through DVR

• TechSupport December 14, 2017 at 10:59 am #

We will see what it looks like when it is officially released but it is looking like I will stick with PS Vue without History.

8. Mark Rose December 13, 2017 at 10:30 pm #

I received the invite today, but with no Roku interface I’m not interested.

9. Angel Gonzalez December 13, 2017 at 11:55 pm #

Guess nvidia shield tv to good for DIRECTV tv now still no apps 🤔
    Only got it for my apple tv 4 gen and my firestick 3gen the looks good tho

• TechSupport December 14, 2017 at 11:04 am #

Nvidia is a small market. Why would they waste time on it right now? I would rather they get Amazon, Roku, and Apple going then work on the other obscure devices.

• Angel Gonzalez December 14, 2017 at 12:14 pm #

Yea but amazon tv and roku run slow when using the app apple run it fast and nvidia to

• TechSupport December 14, 2017 at 12:18 pm #

The majority of users use Amazon and Roku. It would be a terrible business decision to not focus there first. We aren’t talking about what the better device is we are strictly talking about business.

10. dtl316 December 14, 2017 at 12:57 am #

Got my invite! Love this beta!!

11. Brandon December 14, 2017 at 2:00 am #

Downloaded the beta tonight. Guide is slow/clunky on appletv and some slowness in general with navigation. Also missing my local nbc station. Reported all those issues and looking forward to recording some stuff. iPad version is a lot smoother.

• Scott Blanchard December 14, 2017 at 8:46 am #

Apple TV 4K > Also missing local NBC. ABC is there. We don’t yet have Fox and CBS yet. While I have several issues to report, most are just general UX related, fortunately, I didn’t find the slow/clunky you encountered.

1) Only 20 hours of storage
      2) Recording a series takes too many clicks and screen overlays. This needs to be made simpler and available from the guide.
      3) FF/RW not intuitive and totally bypasses the Siri remote’s swipe gestures. You have to click on the touchpad, then move the cursor over to the distinct icon for FF or RW. Way too clunky and breaks the Krug “Don’t Make Me Think” rule for UX.
      4) Can’t see scheduled recordings in a list. Only see recordings in progress and past recordings up to the 20 hour allotment.

• Ryan December 14, 2017 at 9:18 am #

I too noticed that some channels in current product are not in the beta. I don’t see any CBS networks (CBS Network On Demand) or CBS Sports. One of my locals is also missing in the beta.

• NCAviator December 14, 2017 at 12:19 pm #

Got my invite data last night. Installed on AppleTV and Chrome. Am also missing the NBC local station in guide. Interestingly when I search NBC it shows up, but when I try to play it says not able. Also my ABC station does not show up in Favorites even though I have selected it. Has the Pick Heart, but not showing.

For me the BIG MISSING FEATURE is that when viewing GUIDE; it does not have an indicator for what you have set to record. You have to click on the show to see. All other DVR solutions show an indicator. Most use a RED DOT.

• Brandon December 15, 2017 at 1:04 pm #

I really dislike the pictures in the guide. It’s cumbersome and adds little value. Makes scrolling more clunky on appletv.

• Scott Blanchard December 15, 2017 at 9:02 pm #

Totally agree. They should make that a user defined option like the favorites filter. The jumps are jarring and not smooth. Bad UX and over designed.

12. Ryan December 14, 2017 at 8:43 am #

I too received the invite last night. Crossing my fingers for those that are still waiting get an invite.

13. LMan December 14, 2017 at 8:53 am #

Installed the beta on both an iPad and Apple TV without any issues. The updated guide is nice, although it took a few minutes to figure out the how things work on the Apple TV. No more swiping up or down. It appears everything is controlled using the menu button. I have only recorded one show so far. When playing it back it said the fast forward feature was disabled on this program. I also don’t see anyplace indicating how much storage I actually have.

Certainly a move in the right direction. If it comes to increasing the monthly cost I can do without the DVR.

• Scott Blanchard December 14, 2017 at 9:05 am #

Once you click the menu button you do have swipe enabled. You just can’t swipe from the live TV and immediately get the tray and menu like you can with the non beta app. In my opinion that’s a wasted click. I prefer the way its accessed on the regular app. I use that all the time to switch between currently watching live TV programs.

• LMan December 14, 2017 at 9:53 am #

Excellent, thanks for the DVR info Scott. Direct TV’s beta help section doesn’t offer much information. I agree clicking the menu button does seem like an extra step. Maybe people were having issues with the swiping up and down, hoping this would prevent accidental swipes. I know it’s a challenge for my in-laws when they visit.

14. JoeRaiderXX December 14, 2017 at 9:38 am #

The people that got the 20 hour DVR seem to have a much different experience than the people that have the 100 hour DVR. Maybe DTVN is setting up a two tiered system; the 20 hr DVR for free and the 100 hr for a fee. The 20hr users cannot fast forward recordings (except for local channels).

Can a 100 hour user confirm that they can fast forward their recordings and rewind live TV?

• LMan December 14, 2017 at 9:56 am #

I also thought the 20hr may be a free tier. If you can’t forward anything expect local channels (something I still don’t have) it’s not much different than On Demand shows.

15. swkerr December 14, 2017 at 10:08 am #

The only thing available for me now is the Browser based beta and the Android app. (not Android TV just phones and tablets) Played around with the Beta Browser version this morning and setup a few recordings. There is no ability to set things like on keep one episode or only record new episodes. So…at 20 hours it is going to be pretty useless. Had issues setting up recording for some show which I suspect I can not do because of on demand versions but get an error not an explanation. No option to record team favorites or extend past end so sports recording also looking iffy. Hopefully the Playon functionality will not be broken when this roles out for real cause right now it is pretty unworkable.

I also have got only one local (ABC). I had the NBC station (WRAL) for a week or so but then lost it. My YouTube TV now has everything but Fox. I suspect that issue is with Fox and not the affiliate since the owner of the Fox station owns the NBC station which is available. The YouTube TV is looking like a real winner if the beta is any indication of what DTV Now with DVR is going to look like.

I plan to give Hulu another try in a few months to see if they have made any progress. I had Playstation Vue awhile back and it just did not meet my needs and seems to have gotten worse based on what I have read. I have not tried Dish since the DVR beta so maybe give it another try before making a final call on a winner.

• Malignar December 14, 2017 at 10:19 am #

With there appearing to be restrictions on FF commercials and pausing live tv FF live tv etc, I will be switching to Youtube TV when the Roku app comes out. I may get philo as well but I would only be getting it for HGTV/A&E/Nick which I can likely live without.

• swkerr December 14, 2017 at 3:52 pm #

Ya, Now that I have had a chance to watch the DVR recording I can see that there appears to be no FF. I can pause or skip back but FF is disabled. And that means watching all 15-20 min of adds on a 60 min show. This is really a deal killer. With YouTube TV there are some on demand titles with adds you can not skip but even those are short adding only a few minutes of adds to each show.

16. Elvis Black December 14, 2017 at 11:04 am #

downloaded the beta this morning for apple TV and IOS, 20hr dvr and I too am missing some of my local stations as well as Pop. TV OS guide is clunky but IOS works well. setup a recording for tonight looks like might just be an 88 day beta.

17. mcondor December 14, 2017 at 11:45 am #

I agree with all the comments below (can’t see scheduled, can’t ff, etc)
    However to add some worthy praise – the channel changing speed is
    up to par with satellite, you can actually browse the channel lineup.

On the release version it usually takes at least 10 seconds on a good
    day to flip to the next channel.

– Mark

18. mcondor December 14, 2017 at 1:51 pm #

I posted my earlier comments by using the Chrome browser version.

I just downloaded the Android version onto my phone, and the biggest
    difference is the is _will_ let me fast forward through the recordings
    I made this a.m, while the Chrome browser will NOT as others have

Since there is speculation that at&t may have a free and pay version
    of the DVR, in that case maybe the android version is still the pay
    version?? Just speculating too!

– Mark

• JoeRaiderXX December 14, 2017 at 4:48 pm #

FF works on my devices now iOS but it didn’t work yesterday , so maybe it was just a glitch.

19. Bob Loblaw December 14, 2017 at 4:06 pm #

Why exclude Roku? Roku is the device they sent me for free when I signed up.

20. Dave Enna December 14, 2017 at 5:08 pm #

Got the invite, loaded it up. Seems to stream fine on the Apple TV 4k. Doesn’t seem to stay set to ‘favorite channels.’ At this point only allows 20 hours of recordings, hope that increases. I don’t think you can fast-forward through a program until the recording is complete. That messes up the way I watch time-delayed football games, to skip the commercials but stay near real time. I like the new guide format, gives more information on each show. Some of the links have moved around, initially confusing.

21. Kirby Baker December 14, 2017 at 5:14 pm #

I find it sort of interesting that recordings details show the DirecTV satellite channel numbers in the Library.

• Scott Blanchard December 15, 2017 at 9:06 pm #

Interesting. I know that their “next gen” platform which this is based on is suppose to be a unified UI across all their services. Perhaps they are pulling from the same data set but forgot to filter for device.

22. Phoenix2013 December 14, 2017 at 5:42 pm #

I received my invite yesterday. Works well on Chrome desktop but on my Android phone, live TV doesn’t play..

23. G.D. Armour December 14, 2017 at 8:37 pm #

I got an invite but when I try to log in, it says my account may be disconnected. Any ideas?

24. Respected Citizen December 15, 2017 at 9:36 am #

If you’re curious about the interface but haven’t been selected (or weren’t invited), the link to the Chrome / Safari instructions let me look at the interface and watch things, but not record anything.