Cable TV

Cable TVToday we release our monthly side by side look at the major live TV streaming services. In this list we look at Fubo TVSling TV, Hulu’s live TV betaYouTube TV, PlayStation Vue, and DIRECTV NOW with the hopes that we will make picking the right one easier.

*Note this list is uptodate (as best as we can make it) as of October 11th 2017.

Are you on a mobile device? Struggling to see the chart? Here is a PDF you can download for easier viewing.

First you should look at which of these services works on the devices you own?

Streaming Player Sling TV PS Vue DIRECTV NOW YouTube TV Hulu Beta Fubo TV
Roku X X  X X X
Fire TV X X X  X X
Apple TV X X X X X
Chromecast X X X X X X
iOS X X X X X X
Android Phones/Tablet X X X X X X
Android TV X  X  X
Xbox One X X
PlayStation 4 X

All of the services offer local channels in different markets. You can find out what locals are available in your area by visiting their sites.

Next, you should check to see which service has the channels you want?

Channel Sling TV PS Vue DIRECTV NOW YouTube TV Hulu Beta Fubo TV
Viceland X X X X
WE tv X X  X X
 Fox Deportes X
Weather Channel X X
WeatherNation  X X
YES  X  X  X  X  X X

*YouTube TV also includes access to YouTube Red.
*Hulu also includes access to Hulu’s on demand service.
*CSN is now NBC Sportsnet.
*Found a error? Please email us and we will fix it.

Number of Streams

DIRECTV NOW offers two streams.

Sling TV will allow you to stream one or three streams at once depending on what package you sign up for. You can also use your Sling TV login for some apps such as WatchESPN.

PlayStation Vue will work on five devices at once but some channels will not work outside of your home network. You can use your PlayStation Vue login on different apps such as WatchESPN.

YouTube TV allows for 3 streams at once both inside and outside of your home.

Fubo TV allows 2 streams at the same time.

Hulu live TV beta starts with 2 streams but you can add more for $14.99 a month.

DVR

DIRECTV NOW has a DVR in closed beta testing. AT&T has announced plans to launch a DVR in the fall of 2017.

PlayStation Vue offers a 28-day DVR and after 28 days the recording is removed.

Sling TV has a DVR and most of their channels have on-demand versions of the aired shows. Sling TV is offering 50 hours of DVR space with no time limit on how long you can keep a recording for $5 a month.

YouTube TV will keep shows for 9 months but replaces DVR recording with on-demand versions when available.

Fubo TV offers 10 days of cloud DVR and you can record 10 shows at once.

Hulu live TV beta starts with 50 hours of storage. If you want more storage or the ability to fast forward you can pay $14.99 a month to get that ability.

So what service should you pick?

Hopefully, this guide has helped you find the right service. If you are still wondering which is the best for you and your family the best thing to do is to try the free trial for Fubo TVSling TV, YouTube TV, Hulu, PlayStation Vue, and DIRECTV NOW offer. Our suggestion is to give them a try and see if you like them. Check each service’s site for current prices because they keep changing. (Note: The PlayStation Vue charges an extra $10 a month for some markets.)

61 Responses to DIRECTV NOW vs Sling TV vs PlayStation Vue vs Fubo TV vs Hulu vs YouTube TV – Updated October 2017

mikkeee October 12, 2017 at 8:11 am #

PlayStation Vue added CBS Sports recently and your list doesn’t reflect that.

stumpy579 October 12, 2017 at 8:21 am #

NBC Sportsnet Philadelphia NOT available on Sling or DTVNow.

Marc Shaffer October 12, 2017 at 8:33 am #

For me the key is local channels. I have DirecTV Now and currently get zero local channels. I’m looking at Hulu to solve this. I tried Sling when it first came out, but didn’t like it.

King_Android October 12, 2017 at 10:08 am #

Try it again I didn’t like it either but since they revamped the UI I love it

Ryan Ot October 12, 2017 at 10:21 am #

What didn’t you like about Sling? I have had it since its release and while the first couple of months were a bit difficult to deal with, it is perfect now. I have tried DTVN and Fubo since and didn’t like either as much especially when you compare the price of Sling to the others.

filmex October 12, 2017 at 8:47 am #

And you should also note that while Vue’s DVR storage is for 28 days, every time the program in question is repeated, the clock starts ticking all over again. In that so many shows now offer marathons to get viewers caught up, many popular shows stick around for weeks following the initial 28-day period.

Regarding DirecTV, there’s an interesting article in today’s Hollywood Reporter with the headline, “Cord Cutting Rears Its Ugly Head”, which discloses while AT&T gained 300,000 digital customers in the last quarter, it lost 390,000 traditional video subscribers for a net loss of 90,000 in the most recent quarter.

analyzethis October 12, 2017 at 12:42 pm #

They aren’t making any money on their now service either so numbers wise it’s not one for one.

rohanissimus October 12, 2017 at 9:09 am #

Good info would have been even better with price comparisons

Ryan Ot October 12, 2017 at 10:22 am #

I think they vary to much with the different tiers and add on packages.

David Sosa October 12, 2017 at 9:56 am #

I’m with PS Vue because it has my ABC, CBS, FOX locals. I am just missing NBC, CW, Univision, Azteca, and Bein Sports. If I had those it would be perfect. Sling has those for me so for about $10. I use the antenna for those put wish I had everything in one place. Having dvr for locals is a huge plus. At this point no streaming services have everything that I want but Vue is the closet.

Yellowhat October 12, 2017 at 5:01 pm #

What market David Sosa?

Dave Sosa October 12, 2017 at 7:07 pm #

San Antonio market

pumpnethyl November 20, 2017 at 2:56 pm #

I use Vue, and also subsribe to the SlingTV International sports package to get BEIN. It’s $10 per month and is a good companion to Vue

Chris Jones October 12, 2017 at 9:57 am #

Playstation Vue does include Comedy Central. Additionally, and most importantly, I can take Playstation on my mobile devices outside of my home network, with only a handful of stations that don’t work, but 98% of my channels work on my iPad while out and about.

JGaLaXY October 12, 2017 at 9:58 am #

Im pretty sure Fubo blocked me from watching NFL on CBS outside the house, but will let you watch anything not sports?

Slices Right October 12, 2017 at 10:30 am #

DTVN has Showtime. It’s not “X” above.

Steve-P October 12, 2017 at 10:30 am #

“*Note Chromecast will work on any Chromecast supported device like Android TV. We did not include YouTube TV on Android TV as there is no Android TV app for YouTube TV.” I will say this isn’t entirely true. For example, I have Nvidia Shield (android TV) and I CANNOT ‘cast FilmStruck to it. I reached out to the powers that be and they confirm that although FilmStruck can be chromecast to some devices, it will not cast to all. (eventually they made an app for it for Nvidia Shield) A hard lesson. I think future articles should say whether ‘casting to specific devices has been tested. Because it’s not as simple as saying all services with chromecasting will work on all chromcast capable devices

Inland October 13, 2017 at 11:39 am #

Need to know when it will be available on the Nvidia platform.

Adam Duff October 12, 2017 at 10:51 am #

DTVN has Showtime and your list doesn’t reflect it.

Herman222 October 12, 2017 at 11:24 am #

This is great for summary comparisons. You can also check out http://www.suppose.tv for another interesting way to compare the various services.

FranchisePlayer October 12, 2017 at 1:24 pm #

That is a great site. Thank you.

Mark D October 12, 2017 at 11:25 am #

I tried them all and the one i picked wasn’t my top choice. On Hulu and Directv i ran into too many annoying buffering issues. Slingtv was the final choice. All tried on Roku @ 100mbps

Rob October 16, 2017 at 3:26 pm #

But what about the picture quality on Sling for sports, which I found to be poor? Was that your experience as well?

Mark D October 18, 2017 at 11:47 am #

Yes. my speed is at the top level too.

Jason Shores October 12, 2017 at 11:35 am #

Is there a reason Centurylink Streams nationwide service is not included? I believe the Hulu Live Beta is also available on the Xbox 360.

Fred Koot October 12, 2017 at 12:09 pm #

Yeah I guess they should be included. Missing to many channels for me, but a similar service.

TaiPeng October 12, 2017 at 12:44 pm #

You have to be a customer and they don’t compete in every market so they are a regional competitor. The list is for national competitors only.

Fred Koot October 12, 2017 at 1:07 pm #

They are national, just checked I m not in their market and I could sign up with one local.

TaiPeng October 12, 2017 at 2:23 pm #

“They are national. I’m not in their market.”? Therefore they are not by definition national.

Fred Koot October 12, 2017 at 3:05 pm #

Yes they are national. You don’t need to be in their Internet area.

TaiPeng October 13, 2017 at 3:27 pm #

Is that the streaming service with only MSNBC for news?

Jason Shores October 12, 2017 at 3:30 pm #

Oh ok, I signed up for there service last week and I live in Indiana. Never was a customer before. So maybe they changed it. I do appreciate what you guys do, thank you.

Cruz October 12, 2017 at 11:58 am #

I have Sling, but the only downside is that the picture quality is not that great for watching sports. Vue has a better picture quality, but their UI was very disappointing so that’s why I’m with Sling.

Kevin Jordan October 12, 2017 at 12:11 pm #

Are you using a Roku? That’s the platform I hear that Vue isn’t great on. I used it on a Fire TV and it was pretty good there.

Cruz October 12, 2017 at 12:28 pm #

Yes, I was using roku. Didn’t have a fire stick at the time. I may try it on the fire stick. Thanks. The ironic thing is that the sling platform isn’t great on fire stick, much better on roku.

Chauncey Plummer October 16, 2017 at 7:16 am #

What you’ve heard is correct! Vue’s menu on roku is awful. hoping sony makes some changes soon

Kevin Jordan October 12, 2017 at 12:16 pm #

I definitely haven’t found a perfect one yet. YouTube TV has all my locals, but lacks some things like Turner stations which would be nice for the baseball playoffs, I ended up signing up for a DirecTV Now trial to watch those. I’ve used Playstation Vue before, but it doesn’t quite have all my locals (missing NBC currently despite being a Scripps owned station which they have deals with for other networks) and I have to get the local Fox Sports through Fox Sports Go as they don’t have the actual station on there. Hulu doesn’t have all my locals and it’s missing AMC which is a dealbreaker for me. Sling doesn’t have my locals and they have probably the lowest picture quality. DirecTV doesn’t have all my locals either and the fact that they don’t have their DVR fully rolled out is probably costing them a lot of potential business as they’re the last to the game on that. If Vue ever gets my local NBC, I may switch over to that again and I could probably even get my parents to switch off their overpriced Spectrum TV too it if that were to happen.

TaiPeng October 12, 2017 at 12:42 pm #

I love DTVN but I haven’t decided on my preferred device yet. Apple TV seems to be a horrible experience.

bbock October 20, 2017 at 4:21 am #

I was initially DirecTV Now, but dropped them due to the lack of DVR and their on demand and 72 hour rewind thing did not work at all during my membership. They did have a great package price though. I will go back to them once they have DVR, but I wish they’d offer me the price they had on launch. I dropped them because they were not delivering what they promised and they never offered any make good.

pumpnethyl November 20, 2017 at 3:00 pm #

The Amazon Fire TV box has the best interface. I’ve tried Apple TV 4, Android, and Roku. The Amazon box also has access to a lot of add-on channels. I use Vue, and it works great on the Fire TV box

Vicki McAllaster Camp October 12, 2017 at 12:36 pm #

Sundance TV is available on tv.youtube, for me – needs a check mark 🙂

TaiPeng October 12, 2017 at 12:38 pm #

So Nvidia Shield would be considered Android TV? They have no DTVN app? I hate Apple’s app and want to use a gamepad. Amazon Fire TV 4K’s cable is too short for my liking.

Fred Koot October 12, 2017 at 1:08 pm #

The shield runs Android tv

FranchisePlayer October 12, 2017 at 1:11 pm #

Please add NFL RedZone to your listing of channels.

Steve Allison October 12, 2017 at 1:50 pm #

You didn’t include the only decent news show on tv…OANN….in your chart…..weird…..

Larry November 8, 2017 at 10:22 am #

I noticed that too. When I dropped PS Vue and subscribed to DirecTV Now, I was pleasantly surprised to find they had OANN in their lineup. Otherwise, I’d have considered a standalone subscription.

Chris Hill October 12, 2017 at 4:26 pm #

Playstation vue is accessable on Kodi with a add on in the official Kodi store, (yes it’s legal) you still have to log into psvue with your account credentials.

Digital Edge October 12, 2017 at 5:54 pm #

Why no direct tv now on android tv? I don’t understand why. May have to dump direct tv now and go with vue. I love my android shield.

1TRN1 October 12, 2017 at 6:28 pm #

I did not see any comparison on video quality. I’ve tried both DirecTV Now and YouTube TV. When looking at the same channel on both systems, YouTube loads much faster and has a higher picture quality than DirectTV now on 3 different devices (a computer, a phone, and tablet). YouTube also has a slicker user interface. I also have 5 local channels from YouTube vs 1 from DirecTV Now. Because of this, I am dropping DirecTV. I’ll be missing some channels but I believe at some point YouTube will add another tier of service with additional channels.

NotMyCombOver October 13, 2017 at 1:15 am #

Don’t see number of streams offered. If Hulu live went to three streams instead of two to start with I would give them a try, but until then I’ll stick with the five Vue gives by default.

ron4tx October 15, 2017 at 3:30 pm #

The channel comparison is not apples to apples. Some channels are on different price tiers.
    For example, Turner Classic Movies is on Direct TV Now’s basic tier, whereas on PS Vue, it’s only available on upper tiers.

Rob October 16, 2017 at 3:28 pm #

Would you please add a picture quality comparison, especially for sports? That would be very helpful!

bbock October 20, 2017 at 4:16 am #

Having to pay extra to fast forward is just the dumbest, greediest thing I’ve seen. And it’s not a little amount of money either. Screw Hulu.

Nick October 25, 2017 at 6:00 pm #

Playstation Vue is currently the best

Rob October 26, 2017 at 8:16 pm #

fubo offers 30 hours of DVR space included which can be stored indefinitely. For $10/month more, you can get 500 hours.

Steven E. Callihan October 30, 2017 at 11:50 pm #

My must haves: CNN, ESPN/2/3/U, and Pac-12 Networks. Only Sling TV has all three. Everything else I want I can get over the air or on my Roku (Netflix, Amazon Video, et al).

Brian Nelson November 10, 2017 at 8:12 am #

Needs updated. YouTube TV now works on XBox and Android TV.

pumpnethyl November 20, 2017 at 2:54 pm #

BEIN sports is not included. Please add as I’m interested in availability. Playstation Vue dropped the channel earlier this year and I subsribed to the SlingTV International sports service to get BEIN. BEIN has Spanish, Italian, French, etc. soccer and Cricket, so it’s a good addon deal for ex-pats. I’m a MotoGP fanatic so I need BEIN.