Couple watching videos on a laptop at home

When Is DIRECTV NOW’s New DVR & App Coming Out? We Answer Your Questions

It’s fall 2017 and that is when AT&T said the new DVR for DIRECTV NOW would be released to all subscribers. But where is it? Recently I have been flooded emails and comments about this from subscribers wanting to know where the new app and DVR are.

Remember AT&T said the new DIRECTV NOW DVR would come out in the fall of 2017 but didn’t give any exact date. The good news is that we have a few hints.

So when will the DVR be released to all subscribers?

Although no official date has been set for the DVR and new app to roll out, as best we can tell it will be released in late fall 2017. (Release is always subject to delays if the company finds issues during beta testing.)

From talking with beta testers and looking at the beta roll out to new devices it still looks like it is at least weeks if not a month or two away. It is also just as possible that it may be delayed because with all new software it can take longer than expected.

Hopefully, this answers everyone’s questions. With so many emails and last night’s Q&A being flooded with questions about the DIRECTV NOW DVR I wanted to take a moment to address this issue in one post for everyone to see.

Want to learn more about the DIRECTV NOW DVR? Click HERE.

Please follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more news, tips, and reviews.

Need cord cutting tech support? Join our new Cord Cutting Tech Support Facebook Group for help.

28 Responses to When Is DIRECTV NOW’s New DVR & App Coming Out? We Answer Your Questions

1. filmex October 5, 2017 at 7:01 am #

Late fall will become “end of fall” which will become “early winter”.

DirecTV made one of the best DVRs out there. My guess is they are stalling out trying to offer a better DVR than the one DTVN is currently offering, but not one so good it will lead their satellite customers to break the cord to save money. DTVN is the only streaming service with an incentive to offer a DVR, but not a very good DVR.

• Kirby Baker October 5, 2017 at 7:39 am #

Honestly I think DTV has other plans. They have said they want a unified platform, to the extent that you cannot tell which service you are using (satellite vs. streaming) and there are a lot of financial reasons for them to shift all subscribers to streaming. Their satellite fleet is aging, most of their birds are nearing the end of their useful life. Satellites arent cheap, and neither are uplink centers. Add on top of all that all the hardware subsidies in every subscriber’s home, and I think its obvious that a streaming option is a much cheaper option for them. Their last 4 satellites (DirecTV14, DirecTV 15,ISDLA-1 and ISDLA-2) have a total price tag of about $1.8B and a maximum useful life of 15 years. 14 & 15 already have used 3 years of life up.

Then on top of that, look at their SAC (subscriber acquisition costs). In 2014 it was nearly $900 per sub. SAC for DTVN subs has got to be under $200 (assuming a free device deal). Just seems like a whole lot more can happen with an internet based service than a satellite based service, at a lot lower cost.

• Mulligan October 5, 2017 at 7:58 am #

Definitely agree with your thoughts. They know the true rural satellite customers will not have the broadband initially to make the switch. 5G wireless to the home may change this but for now I believe they are building a long term platform that will have upfront challenges but the cost of running/maintaining long term makes it superior. Add in the innovation and the in house AD’s/data they can extract/ customize on the new platform.

The legacy systems are just that. Distributors and content creators have seen the shift but its how do they properly navigate this transition without losing all the lucrative legacy “older” consumers. Its really just the beginning of how TV can transform on a interactive streaming platform.

• Stewey October 5, 2017 at 12:19 pm #

Rural broadband is getting better. I live in the middle of nowhere and was recently able to get 20mbps down/10mbps up internet at my house. Within the next few years I look for the rural divide to start going away.

• NashGuy October 5, 2017 at 1:40 pm #

Interesting thoughts. I think you’re right. By the time the current satellite fleet becomes obsolete (late 2020s?), AT&T will be out of the satellite TV business. Early next year, AT&T is going to launch another live streaming service similar to DirecTV Now, running on the same unified platform. Sounds like a key difference will be that it supplies the customer with a dedicated STB and remote customized specifically for their service rather than forcing you to access it via an app on a retail device. AT&T’s CEO has admitted that smaller, less expensive channel packages will become the new norm. Part of how they’ll offer that is through customized targeted ads — only possible via internet streaming — which will cost advertisers more per ad.

• Bob Loblaw October 6, 2017 at 3:26 am #

They can shove that dedicated STB where the sun don’t shine.

2. Mulligan October 5, 2017 at 8:01 am #

With the state of the current Beta app its going to be a while. Unless the next new DVR beta app update includes vast improvements, people will be unhappy. I like where they are headed with annoucing DVR and future platform for DTVN, but right now it needs a lot and I mean a lot of work.

3. swkerr October 5, 2017 at 8:07 am #

I want the DVR function but I hope it does also break Playon. I have been subscribing to shows in Playon and the whole process has been working great. I watch everything in Emby or Plex and can skip adds etc. I worry about DVR really being On-demand and not being able to skip commercials.

• icwhatudidthere October 5, 2017 at 12:09 pm #

Oh wow, I didn’t even know PlayOn could record DTVN!

• Scott October 6, 2017 at 9:48 am #

It that’s the case, game changer. I suspect its not, or DTV legal would have already shut it down.

4. Texas Longhorns October 5, 2017 at 9:05 am #

I hope the DVR is on Roku. I heard it may not be.

5. Lyntill October 5, 2017 at 10:10 am #

I’m not as concerned about this as I once was. DTVN has a few shows on demand and so far I’ve found the rest on Hulu on Demand. The one exception to this is CBS but I only watch 1 show on that network. If I miss it, oh well. I’m saving $95 a month and that makes me happier than Blue Bloods does. I refuse to pay for the CBS app on principle.

• Bob October 5, 2017 at 12:30 pm #

Likewise; they can create as many All Access app only series as they like; won’t be watching. Shame too cause I liked the first eppy of ST Discovery

• swkerr October 5, 2017 at 1:43 pm #

I would get it if I could see the value but I have an antenna and Emby. Plus Youtube TV on demand. They are going to have a lot more content to get me to bite on a subscription.

What I am not sure about is something like the MGM Stargate service. Get access to the back catalog and a new series for $20. This seems like more of something I might go for if the reviews for the new series were good.

• NashGuy October 5, 2017 at 1:47 pm #

It’s a bit of a hassle, but if you have a computer available in your home, you might try creating a free Plex account and installing Plex Media Server on it. Within Plex Media Server, install the CBS “channel,” which is a plug-in that fetches free video from, funnels it through Plex Media Server on your computer and makes it viewable within the Plex app on various devices connected to the same wifi network. My smart TV has a Plex app and so does Roku, Apple TV, Fire TV, etc. So last night I watched the pilot for “Me, Myself and I” in the Plex app on my TV, using the free CBS channel. It was decent HD quality and contained no commercials!

6. REM October 5, 2017 at 10:28 am #

I have been beta testing that platform and it’s not close to being ready.
    I think DTVN wants to take their time and really get not only the DVR right but also the new platform.

7. Andrew Lindeman October 5, 2017 at 3:58 pm #

Last I heard you can only schedule recording individual episodes and not series. Is this still true? I hope this gets changed before released!

8. Robin Dickey October 5, 2017 at 4:41 pm #

Maybe Direct TV Now should spend more time and resources reliably providing the services customers are already paying for instead of adding more services that will put users in buffering hell.

• DesignatedJizTowel October 5, 2017 at 9:47 pm #

I haven’t seen more than 3 seconds of buffering on DTVN in months. And even that is rare. Maybe you should have a look at your streaming devices and home network.

• Robin Dickey October 5, 2017 at 9:58 pm #

Well, my internet service is provided by AT&T, which also owns Directv Now, averages 48Mbps. I’ve experienced the problem on my Vizio Smart TV, 1 Dell Laptop, 1 Roku, 1 Chromecast, 1 Samsung Note 8, 1 Samsung S8 Active, 1 Asus Zenpad 8 and a Mac Pro Workstation. No other streaming service I subscribe to including Hulu, Vudu, Netflix or Amazon Prime Video experience the same buffering issues. So given all those factors, I’m comfortable saying that Directv Now is the problem, not my devices or internet service.

9. IndependentGuy October 5, 2017 at 8:59 pm #

We’ll, that repetative post of no information was worthless b.s. hope you’re not paid to write this dribble.

• DesignatedJizTowel October 5, 2017 at 9:45 pm #

At least Luke contributed more than you did.

• Scott October 6, 2017 at 9:42 am #

What was the comment? Now deleted. The story title proposes to answer questions. What was answered? A more accurate title would have been “Directv Now DVR to Arrive Late Fail – We Think”. But don’t mislead readers with clickbait headlines and propose that you have answers that you clearly don’t.

• IndependentGuy October 9, 2017 at 3:47 pm #

Exactly. Thank you.

• IndependentGuy October 9, 2017 at 3:46 pm #

By saying nothing, and repeating it like four times so it resembles an article? “Look. Something coming some time in the future”. Whoo hoo.

10. Elijah Mikaelson October 5, 2017 at 11:05 pm #

If Sony hasn’t updated the horrific PS Vue Roku UI by the time DTVN releases it’s DVR to the public, DTVN what most likely get my future $$

11. Josh October 6, 2017 at 4:34 am #

So. .. really you have nothing to say. I swear this site does so many non informational posts just to get clicks.

• Scott October 6, 2017 at 9:46 am #

But that was a doozie of a headline wasn’t it?