Group of young people watching soccer match
We may earn a commission from purchases through links on our site. You can learn more here.

Disney Announces New Details About Their New ESPN Streaming Service

Group of young people watching soccer matchFor about a year now Disney has been talking about a standalone subscription streaming service for ESPN. During the recent earnings call with Disney we got new details about the ESPN standalone streaming service.

The Good News

The new standalone ESPN streaming service will include about 10,000 live regional, national, and international sporting events every year. The service will be delivered through an “enhanced” version of its WatchESPN app with BAMTech powering the back end of the service.

BAMTech is the company Disney recently purchased that powers many popular sports apps including MLB.TV.

The Bad News

The bad news is it looks like the service has been delayed. Disney is now planning to launch the service in early 2018. No explanation for the 2018 release date was given, and it could be anything from contract delays with sports groups to issues getting the back end ready.

We also still do not know what sports will be included with the service. What we do know is it will not include content currently on ESPN channels. So don’t expect any NFL or NBA games to be part of the service at launch.

If you want a live feed of ESPN’s current channels you will still need to subscribe to a service like DIRECTV NOW, PlayStation Vue, or Sling TV.

For now we need to wait to see what the pricing will be and, more importantly, what sports you will be able to watch with the new service.

Disclaimer: To address the growing use of ad blockers we now use affiliate links to sites like Amazon.com, streaming services, and others. Affiliate links help sites like Cord Cutters News, LLC stay open. Affiliate links cost you nothing but help me support my family. We do not allow paid reviews on this site. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

27 Responses to Disney Announces New Details About Their New ESPN Streaming Service

Nathan John Ganiere August 8, 2017 at 10:08 pm #

it works as well as MLB.TV does, already not interested, or I should say the lack of wellness…….

Dave August 9, 2017 at 1:39 pm #

I’ve had MLB.TV for the last two seasons and never had an issue. (Well besides not being able to watch my hometown team).

What problems have you had?

Vegas Steve August 9, 2017 at 4:16 pm #

Some people have breakups in the feed, but I think it has more to do with their ISP. I know I switched ISP’s awhile ago (when I had MLB) and it became pretty stable.

Evan August 9, 2017 at 4:20 pm #

What’s more boring than baseball or any sport? Talk shows in which they talk about athletes. Celebrity worship is so boring is it not? Just show games. Golf Channel gets it right.

Craig W August 9, 2017 at 6:58 am #

No NFL no NBA? NO Thanks ESPN. They just don’t seem to get it. They’re not the only show in town anymore. Sure they were once King of the mountain but not anymore. Now that there are so many ways to get sports legally ESPN is becoming irrelevant. They need to rethink their plans for a new service because they no longer have a product that people ” Cannot live without” . Sadly I’m sure the top brass at Disney will put a premium price on the service too, only quickening their own demise.

Evan August 9, 2017 at 1:01 pm #

I just redeemed my preorder of Guardians the Gallaxy 2 on iTunes. No way I am paying Disney a monthly fee for that. Disney Channel has been declining in quality for me. If I love a Disney movie I just use iTunes. This is a stupid move on their part. Just like their Disney movies app was.

mr Dave August 9, 2017 at 7:00 am #

Disney will charge an arm and a leg for this service!!!

Evan August 9, 2017 at 12:58 pm #

Why would anybody buy it?

Ben M August 9, 2017 at 7:42 pm #

Exactly…”it will not include content currently on ESPN channels”…..then what is the point? There are only two reasons to watch/subscribe to ESPN – NFL games and college football bowl games. If the service offers neither that it is useless.

Pebo Bryson August 9, 2017 at 8:31 am #

Lets hope they add a lot of bass fishing and maybe competitive snoring

Evan August 9, 2017 at 1:02 pm #

Well they won’t add golf. Golf Channel is an NBC operation.

Vegas Steve August 9, 2017 at 4:15 pm #

Oooooooooo…. competitive snoring! Where do I sign up? 😉

billgannon August 9, 2017 at 9:01 am #

The Entertainment and Sports Programming Network, has become the Entirely Socialist Progressive Network. That said, I’d always had heard that sports and politics were never to cross on air. Seems that was right back then, but now not so much.

Joseph ewing August 9, 2017 at 9:07 am #

Disney has this change coinciding with the end of their contract with Netflix. Since they won’t re-up that contract, both stocks dropped yesterday.

Losing Disney content on Netflix and paying for an additional service from Disney is no move in the right direction for the consumer.

Disney’s smart.

Vegas Steve August 9, 2017 at 4:14 pm #

I was with you up until you said ‘Disney’s smart’. More like Disney’s greedy.

Joseph ewing August 9, 2017 at 4:32 pm #

Like it or not, Disney has a fiduciary responsibility to their shareholders.

While it’s not in my best interest, their doing the right thing.

Vegas Steve August 9, 2017 at 4:34 pm #

In the short term, you could be right, they might make more money. In the long run, people will flee from overpriced entertainment, just like they are leaving cable now.

Joseph ewing August 10, 2017 at 6:57 am #

Flee where? As more and more consolidation happens (as we’re seeing with Discovery), other options will vanish.

If you’re a parent and your little kids want to watch Disney programming, you’ll pay. If not (like me), you can avoid it.

Vegas Steve August 12, 2017 at 2:06 pm #

Flee as in how former cable customers have fled. You got with an antenna and Netflix/Amazon. Maybe you rent/buy a few Disney titles, or borrow them at your local library. Your ‘Flee where?’ question is the same one the cable companies posed and it’s why they are losing customers.

Evan August 9, 2017 at 12:57 pm #

So this means cheaper non sports skinny bundles for those of us who hate subsidizing sports right? No sports bundled with news and entertainment? This also means basic tiers will not include the several varients of Disney channels. That is fine I watch Nick more. Now if Discovery could sell their stuff separately that woukd be great. I hate Doscovery, Travel Channel, Food Network, Cooking Channel, etc… Discovery is the worst cable network. Too much boring reality TV show garbage. I would like more Viacom. They used to have a 24 hour country music video channel on Vue. Besides news I like music video entertainment with current top 40 artists.

Vegas Steve August 9, 2017 at 4:13 pm #

Whoo boy, ‘cheaper non sports’? This is Disney, where nothing is reasonable ever since Walt died, may he RIP.

Evan August 9, 2017 at 4:18 pm #

Disney is doing the same thing CBS is doing which means they will be a separate product and no longer bundled with anything else though. I don’t see how this makes non sports bundles more expensive. You can choose a streaming package from Disney or select an non Disney skinny bundle. Disney is of course different as they are not a local channel.

Vegas Steve August 9, 2017 at 4:30 pm #

Well, because Disney must create/manage a streaming service, there will be a higher cost to them, which will be passed on to the consumer. I also think the CBS streaming service is way overpriced, but you can see where these things are headed by looking at them. $10 a pop will add up quickly. Knowing Disney, they will think they are worth the HBO/Showtime rates and ask for $15. (no, I don’t think HBO is worth that either)

But hey, that’s just IMHO, if you think it’s gonna be better, I hope you’re right.

Evan August 9, 2017 at 4:34 pm #

Right but $10 Viacom and a $10 20th Century Fox bundle would be $20. Much less than we pay now for example.

Dave August 9, 2017 at 1:41 pm #

Will someone please find a way to let me watch my hometown MLB team?

I subscribe to Directv NOW AND the MLB.TV service and because of outdated media models I can’t watch the team that plays 3 miles from my house.

Vegas Steve August 9, 2017 at 4:10 pm #

Use a VPN. I know the MLB TV app (at least on Fire TV) works with that. BTW, I get blacked out of SIX teams on MLB.TV. It’s why I didn’t re sub. I could use a VPN, but I’m thru dancing to get what I paid for.

Vegas Steve August 9, 2017 at 4:09 pm #

On the ABC news this morning, they said it was rolling out in 2019, not 2018. If so, I bet it’s a contract issue.