rey__bb_8_star_wars_the_force_awakens-HD-1600x900
We may earn a commission from purchases through links on our site. You can learn more here.

Disney Pushes Back Against Apple’s Plans to Sell 4K Movies For HD Prices

This week Apple announced that they planned to offer 4K movies for the same price as HD movies. They even promised to upgrade HD movies to a 4K version for free if available.

Now it seems like that may not happen for Disney movies. The Wall Street Journal is reporting that Disney has not agreed to Apples proposed plans to sell movies for HD price.

Currently, Disney sells its films and their Star Wars along with Marvel movies in 4K on other digital stores, such as Wal-Mart Stores Inc.’s Vudu, for around $24.99. Apple wants to push the price of these services down to about $19.99 or less for 4K HDR movies.

Disney is also getting ready to launch their own streaming service in 2019. The new streaming service will offer access to Disney movie and shows along with content from Marvel and Star Wars.

Disney is also well known for holding off on deals like this to see how others will respond.

For now we will have to wait and see what will happen next but for now it looks like Disney is not onboard with Apple’s plans.

Disclaimer: To address the growing use of ad blockers we now use affiliate links to sites like Amazon.com, streaming services, and others. Affiliate links help sites like Cord Cutters News, LLC stay open. Affiliate links cost you nothing but help me support my family. We do not allow paid reviews on this site. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

12 Responses to Disney Pushes Back Against Apple’s Plans to Sell 4K Movies For HD Prices

Evan September 14, 2017 at 10:56 pm #

Corporate greed. $25 for digital downloads with no bonus content? I’ll stick with iTunes. $15 for HD movies is bad enough. TV Shows @ $30 are too expensive. They want movies to be as expensive as TV shows. $30 for 10 episode seasons is bad.

Daniel Richards September 15, 2017 at 12:41 am #

plus the lower bitrates make the 4k meaningless, makes it an even worse value, might as well buy the Bluray, it will be a higher bitrate and cheaper.

Kravimir September 15, 2017 at 10:36 am #

That’s like comparing apples and oranges though. I think you may be exaggerating things a bit. 4k content is unlikely to use H.264. The video codecs used for UHD have a higher compression ratio. Which services are you saying stream 2160p at a lower bitrate than the bitrate they use for 1080p?

Daniel Richards September 15, 2017 at 2:47 pm #

even H.265 IF any streaming service is using that to compress the video files only cuts the required bitrate in half compared to h.264 and since 4k is 4 times the amount of pixels that would still be DOUBLE what a regular bluray would play at and 4k content on Netflix runs around the bitrate of Bluray discs, so it might be slightly better then regular Bluray but it’s a FAR cry from UHD Bluray disc, of course if you go out and buy the cheapest 4k TV you can get it’s not gonna matter because the black levels and other aspects of the TV itself are so poor you won’t see the difference, but if you buy a QUALITY TV then you will see it, believe me I’ve streamed my share of 4k content and while better then 1080p streaming it is not 4k disc level because it’s running at less then half the bitrate of the 4k disc.

President Crude September 15, 2017 at 3:04 pm #

Yea, that Apple is really greedy wanting 28% profit on everything they sell.

Evan September 15, 2017 at 5:40 pm #

Nope Disney is. $25 for 4K movies? Hell no! I’ll stick with $14.99 HDTV iTunes movies.

Vegas Steve September 14, 2017 at 11:05 pm #

I suppose it’s just me, but I thought $20 for a movie in any format was outrageous in the first place. And they want MORE??? Wow.

Evan September 15, 2017 at 9:49 am #

I pay $10+ for movie tickets now. I luckily don’t go often because 2017 is a bad year for movies. Where are all the blockbuster movies anymore? Same boring movie troupes. Does Hollywood not need to make profits anymore? So many bombs this year.

Vegas Steve September 15, 2017 at 11:34 am #

I guess I also don’t understand the idea of buying a movie. Other than a few favs or classics (or maybe kids), do people rewatch these purchased movies? There seems to be so much content floating around that I can’t get to all my unwatched stuff.

Evan September 15, 2017 at 11:38 am #

Sure. Times of year. Horror movies get rewatched. Lots of old content on demand though and always only arbitrarily determined classic movies. Buying movies means I get to choose the newer titles.

Kawshik Ahmed September 15, 2017 at 12:26 am #

What 4K movie does Disney have outside ‘Guardian of the Galaxy 2’ ? None

President Crude September 15, 2017 at 3:11 pm #

Disney owns or distributes movies and TV programs from over 15 different studios. Not to mention many of the other movies can be make 4K. My own thoughts are 4K is a useless format unless you are on a 70 inch or bigger screen. Fox, ESPN, and a couple of cable companies have tried 4K sports and gave up almost immediately.