Netflix Mindhunter

If you have been reading the news the last few days you likely saw a host of stories talking about how there is a 40% chance that Apple will buy Netflix. This is one of the stories you need to take with a little skepticism.

At the heart of this story is a Citi analyst who said that there is a 40% likelihood of Apple acquiring Netflix. The way you read many of these stories you would have assumed that there was some type of inside source leaking these plans. The truth is the only reason the Citi analyst thinks this will happen is because Apple has the money.

Could Apple buy Netflix? Yes, it’s possible but it is just as possible that Apple would buy Tesla, Hulu, Activision, Electronic Arts, or even Disney. Why is that just as likely to happen? Apple has around $250 billion in cash right now that they could use if they decide to buy a company.

The truth is we may not want Apple to buy Netflix. Just this week Apple acquired Shazam and Apple cut off access to Microsoft’s Cortana to the now Apple owned Shazam. This raises the question if Apple buys Netflix would they cut off non-Apple devices.

So will Apple buy Netflix? According to all reports, the two companies are not even talking. So for now it is possible but not as likely as many of the news stories out there would like you to think.

Need cord cutting tech support? Join our Cord Cutting Tech Support Facebook Group for help.

25 Responses to Editorial: Sorry, Apple’s Probably Not Going to Buy Netflix & Cord Cutters Probably Don’t Want Them To…

1. Fred Koot January 6, 2018 at 8:49 am #

Think is time to rename the site Cordcutter rumours

2. David Batten January 6, 2018 at 9:50 am #

Apple NOT buying Netflix would be a good thing!
    I would also go on to say that Apple buying anything other than an outhouse would be a bad thing.

• AK January 6, 2018 at 10:28 am #

Why? Oh, you just hate Apple. Got it.

• David Batten January 6, 2018 at 12:24 pm #

I would explain. But oh, your probably an iSheep. Got it.

• SanityChecker January 6, 2018 at 12:32 pm #

Apple does tend to restrict content to within their ecosystem. May not happen with Netflix but wouldn’t want to find out.

• Vegas Steve January 7, 2018 at 10:55 pm #

Oh, insulting outhouse now are you? For shame! 😉

3. AK January 6, 2018 at 10:27 am #

Contra? Spellcheck and proofread before posting.

4. Fred Koot January 6, 2018 at 10:49 am #

If they bought Netflix and limited to Apple devices, it would put companies like Roku out of business

• Joseph ewing January 6, 2018 at 11:38 am #

Or Netflix. The truth is, the number of Apple TV devices pales in comparison to others. And folks like me who own 5 Rokus will not go out and purchase a bunch of expensive Apple TVs.

• Me January 6, 2018 at 4:13 pm #

Actually I’d still use my Roku and cancel Netflix. Not buying Apple TV. How long does Netflix last when they lose 75% of their customer base?

• bellsfolly January 6, 2018 at 7:27 pm #

Maybe 5 years ago, but I don’t think that would be the case today. Plus, if Apple were to buy Netflix (God forbid!) and limited it to only those who buy their overpriced streaming device…uhhhh, bullet meet foot (!)

• Rocksleeper January 7, 2018 at 3:46 pm #

It would be a boom in Amazon Prime streaming…and more competitors would then enter. It would be a ruin for netflix.

I’m not buying a $100+ apple device just to connect to my smart TV for ONLY Netflix…nor will most Americans. Show me what I can stream with my current SmartTV or a $35 Roku, Firestick, or Chromecast.

• Stephen D Irvine January 8, 2018 at 11:57 am #

If it was true that could be part of the plan.

5. RonV42 January 6, 2018 at 11:11 am #

I wouldn’t want Apple to buy Netflix, they would make it excusive to AppleTV and cut off everyone else.

• SanityChecker January 6, 2018 at 12:37 pm #

Actually Amazon stopped selling Chromecast devices (yet sells Roku and others) so Google responded. Amazon started the ‘war’.

6. tbird2252 January 6, 2018 at 11:51 am #

I have been an equity trader for over 40 years handling my personal accounts. One thing I have learned from merger/acquisitions, hostile takeovers etc. is to expect the unexpected.

7. TaiPeng January 6, 2018 at 11:56 am #

I don’t Netflix. Bad content with an extreme liberal bias. I am glad Apple did not buy Netflix.

• SanityChecker January 6, 2018 at 12:34 pm #

Isn’t Apple as liberal as it gets of tech companies?

• Dean G January 7, 2018 at 8:52 am #

You’d be best to ignore him, he’s a nut case in every sense. Clearly in need of serious medication. He thinks any woman in a position of power is a lesbian. His comments are truly ones that should be looked at by medical personnel.

• Me January 6, 2018 at 4:15 pm #

Good god. User blocked for stupidity.

• DesignatedJizTowel January 8, 2018 at 9:27 am #

Blocked him months ago.

8. bellsfolly January 6, 2018 at 7:25 pm #

“Sorry, Apple’s Probably Not Going To Buy Netflix”….No need to be sorry, dude. I’ll be damned glad if they don’t.

• Vegas Steve January 7, 2018 at 10:55 pm #

I’ll second that one!

9. Rocksleeper January 7, 2018 at 3:39 pm #

Apple acquired Shazam and Apple cut off access to Microsoft’s Contra service access use Shazam

*Cortana

And I’m not sure what the rest of that sentence is saying. Not sure what “Microsoft’s Contra service access use Shazam” means.

10. Tom Austen January 8, 2018 at 11:38 am #

Doesn’t Apple have enough on its hands with BatteryGate? After the awful experience I’ve had with Windows 10 and other Microsoft products, I’d prefer to see Apple go back to basics and make the iMac the desktop computer of choice.