playstation-vue-screenshot-05_1920
We may earn a commission from purchases through links on our site. You can learn more here.

Explaining PlayStation Vue’s Error 1014

playstation-vue-screenshot-05_1920If you have hung out on any forums about cord cutting or PlayStation’s new streaming service called Vue you will have seen posts about Error Code 1014. This error seems to prevent people from using their PlayStation Vue service. Many of our readers have even been affected.

Some people receive the error from the day they subscribe. Others have suddenly found that they could no longer use their PlayStation Vue subscription one day.

Many have contacted Sony, which has yet to find a workaround. Sony is telling people to cancel their subscriptions and sign up again. Many users are saying taking this action did not work for them.

What is Error 1014?

Before we go any farther let us point out that Sony has not officially addressed PlayStation Vue. We talked to a PR rep from Sony who passed us on to someone higher up. Emails stopped when we asked about Error 1014. (It has been several days now without contact.) So everything from here on out is just a professional guess based on our research.

From the best we can tell Error 1014 has to do with one of two things (or both): location and number of users.

Location

It is likely that Error 1014 has to do with Sony being unable to determine your location. PlayStation Vue needs to know your location in order to match your location to the one you registered. Many believe that PlayStation Vue is having issues detecting the location for many new users, creating the Error 1014.

It is even possible that during set up a location data set is somehow being corrupted creating an Error 1014 due to some database error.

Number of Users

You are limited to five streams at one time. Many have wondered if the Error 1014 is somehow being caused by PlayStation Vue incorrectly detecting the number of devices playing at the same time. There’s no real proof of this, but it’s a popular option.

What do we think?

We think the issue is likely due to Sony’s location detection causing the Error 1014. All the evidence points to Sony having trouble picking up on where you are located. This could be caused by many things—from the way they do the detection to the way your ISP manages IPs.

What can you do if you get a 1014 Error?

Sadly there is not much you can do because Sony seems unable to fix it for many people. We do recommend you contact Sony directly and let them know you have the issue. The more people who complain the more likely a fix will be made. Hopefully you are one of the lucky ones who see the error but it later goes away.

We will update this post as soon as we learn more. If you find a fix, please leave it in the comments.

Need cord cutting tech support? Join our new Cord Cutting Tech Support Facebook Group for help

Disclaimer: To address the growing use of ad blockers we now use affiliate links to sites like Amazon.com, streaming services, and others. Affiliate links help sites like Cord Cutters News, LLC stay open. Affiliate links cost you nothing but help me support my family. We do not allow paid reviews on this site. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

22 Responses to Explaining PlayStation Vue’s Error 1014

Frank H April 19, 2016 at 7:01 am #

Thank you for posting this. There has been no updates from Sony. I have contacted them daily in support chats and I am told to keep waiting. Originally they said it would be 3-5 days and they are working on it. Only would tell me that it is being escalated. I am ready to cancel and keep my cable service. No real News reporting was done on this. So thanks for escalating this in the blogosphere.

Frank H April 20, 2016 at 7:25 am #

Just updated that I cancelled and received a full refund. I’ll try in a couple of weeks if they get this sorted out. I have to say that this does not look good for scalability and the customer service lacked transparency. The reps were nice and apologized. But they lacked information to give me as to the status of the problem and time to resolve.

My 2 cents

Mike April 19, 2016 at 4:04 pm #

I have also had the consecutive 1014 error experience with Playstation Vue using an Amazon Fire TV. However, the problem seems to independent of the platform used, according to one or more Sony tech reps (I talked with about 9 of them in the course of finding a solution). In any event, the solution described by Chris above was apparently the same as the one that finally worked for me yesterday, 4/18/16. After I described my problem to the latest Sony rep, he asked about my location and the zip code I was using for the app. Once he confirmed this, he told me to disconnect the power from my Fire TV; he then proceeded to somehow reset my account location details from his end. This took only a couple of minutes. He then told me to reconnect my Fire TV and logon to Playstation Vue; this time, at the point where I had been continually getting the error message, a licensing agreement screen showed up for the first time. Thereafter, I was able to quickly complete the registration process in about 2-3 more screens an finally access the Playstation Vue home screen. I’ve had no further problem with the app. The Sony rep asked me to spread the word about this fix approach to anyone else I knew who might be having this issue. Hope this is of some use.

Michael April 19, 2016 at 5:59 pm #

Hey Mike, I have both a Fire TV & Fire TV Stick….wondering if you know, would I be able to travel ( say with the Fire TV stick), and have access to Playstation Vue in hotels or homes of family members when traveling ? Not sure if this “location issue” would cause problems for me when I’m on the road with my job.

sam April 20, 2016 at 10:20 am #

Michael, from what I have read your sticks will only work on your home ip address and not in any hotels. You could use the watch anywhere apps in hotels with your fire stick/tv like watch travel tv, fox sports go etc….

Michael April 20, 2016 at 2:45 pm #

Thank you Sam !!

Bob April 21, 2016 at 7:43 pm #

This is amazing. so many people with the exact same issue, and no help from Sony. We cancelled our account three times and started new ones to no avail, the IP address for the system is static so I tried to change it to DHCP but that didn’t work, I tried Fire TV and Fire TV Stick (that was a no help suggestion from Sony). this s instance. And all because Comcast and YES are too greedy to make a deal. In our case, after hours of being on hold during several phone calls, not one representative (all but one very nice and tried to be helpful) admitted that they had seen this problem.

Darren turner April 22, 2016 at 7:08 pm #

Same old story…2 hrs later, and on 3rd rep…he finally admitted that they knew about the problem! Says he will prolly be in trouble for same! Refund processed, hoping for good news at some point

Keith C April 23, 2016 at 10:10 pm #

Same thing happened to me. For three days I got a 1014. I tried to chat with support but my online ID wasn’t recognized as valid. It was in my profile correctly. So I went on the Sony Vue forum and found dozens of people with the same issue. I finally reset to factory defaults, reinstalled the app and rebooted my router (I use a VPN for work) and it worked for some reason. I still don’t know why. Sony is screwing this up big time. If you subscribe and it works. good for you. If it doesn’t, you are on your own.

Sharlotte April 24, 2016 at 3:34 pm #

For those still having problems here’s a quick solution, go back to Sling. They now have all the same channels multi stream up to 3 devices $20. I got tired of going a week then having to pray to God someone at playstation would help and signing up with 4 different emails is ridiculous and is NOT a solution. Sony isn’t acknowledging anything really. Very sad because it could be a great service if we could actually use it.

Keith C April 24, 2016 at 4:52 pm #

They don’t have ESPN on multistream and they don’t have NBCSN at all which is one reason why I switched to Vue. Also, no DVR capabilities and the few channels that support rewind, pause or FF time out after the show time is over. I found the whole Sling experience very frustrating about what channel can do what. Vue doesn’t have FYI, but does have the rest of the channels I watch and I can record shows for later. I am done with appointment TV. At least Sling support exists though. I haven’t seen that with Sony Vue, so far. Trying to deny the problem exists and piublicly ignoring the issue is going to catch up with them and it may be about to.

Akela May 6, 2016 at 3:31 pm #

Exact same experience– Chat; CSR over phone; try and try again. NEVER anything but “1014” error. Gave up, considering Sling but seems to be a poor choice — still hoping for a fix. Please post here if one occurs.

walter May 11, 2016 at 11:03 pm #

It looked like the ip address zip code did not match with my home location, I went into my account info and changed my city to match the ip city and it worked. I don’t know if it will last as I talked to my internet provider and was told that they move blocks of users around so it could change. I’ll just have to keep my fingers crossed.

Matt May 17, 2016 at 7:32 pm #

How did you determine the ip address zip code? I am having similar issues!

Walter May 11, 2016 at 11:12 pm #

It appears that the problem is the ip address zip code does not match the home zip code, I went into my account info and changed my city to match that of the ip address. IT WORKED, don’t know if it will last but I have my fingers crossed.

Nick the trick May 30, 2016 at 7:32 pm #

Same here. May 30 2016, Sony still has no solution. It’s Sony geo location service that’s corrupted. My ip shows correct location, Sony website shows my correct location, but during location determination process picks up location 250 miles away from my home address. Different pricing and different local channels, if I am able to start it anyhow.

Market/customers won’t tolerate this, I guess similar service is being cooked by others but without this issue. No media company can survive nowadays with such poor handling of problems. Sony handles it as a network company in 2001.

george j kraus jr June 9, 2016 at 2:13 pm #

Here is the solution,for me anyway, 1)cancel your account 2)open new account using a different email address but BE SURE to allow psvue to detect your zip code and use it even though it is not correct(In my case I live in CT. and my zip code showed a NY zip 3)enter your real billing address with your credit card info 4) uninstall psvue app and reinstall before loging in with your new account and you will not get the 1014 error. Only problem I’m having is that New York’s core plan cost $10 more as I just found out when my trial ended. I called billing and they said NY was $10 more and I told here I lived in CT but I used the NY zip code in order to get service.I asked her if the 1014 error has been corrected and she said “they were working on it” I told her to leave it alone as I was afraid that I would get the 1014 error again. I love the service,although using the amazon fire stick is not as easy to navigate as a ps box, and until they fix the problem I’m willing to pay the extra 10 bucks. Way better deal than any place to get all the channels and on demand and recording many shows also once you get the hang of it. The whole problem is that I have a dynamic ip address through my internet service provider, optimum.net, so sony detects that I live in NY. It is as simple as that and dollars to donuts I’d be willing to bet if you try this method you will be up and running. As I said before, to me it’s worth the extra $10 and maybe later I can get credit for my over payment. If this works for you please post so others will see.The main thing is to accept the zip code detected by sony when you sign up at psvue.com/plans. Good luck, it is a great service but will be better once this issue is resolved. Do not waste your time with customer support as you will be wasting your time. Two hours only to be told that the service is not yet available in my area and to check back. BS as my neighbor across the street that has a static ip address through a different internet service provider had no problems signing up.

Ez June 27, 2016 at 9:07 am #

when signing up, you say it’s ok to use real zip in billing info, are you using the ‘detected zipcode’ in the personal location info? there are two stages where they ask for location; personal and billing. I’ve been through it 10 times already with my initial account and want to make sure i get it right on this new account. Also, are you using a different CC on the new account?.

Donna June 27, 2016 at 9:32 am #

A couple of months ago I bought a Fire tv and signed up for Vue, I returned the Fire tv and cancelled Vue, so sad? I then went to Sling, it was O.K. But not Vue. Low and behold Roku got Vue. So I signed up again, this time I left everything as Vue showed even tho it showed me in another state (close but no cigar) as I proceed in the signing it asked me for my billing zip code which I entered correctly. Everything is wonderful? NO error code, it’s been a couple of weeks now, I am full of confidence. Lol
    I

sharkoparko June 28, 2016 at 11:27 am #

Alright, Alright. The only fix for amazon stick is to leave what zip codes put you in. Problem with that is when you watch national TV and they switch at certain spots to local TV, you will see commercials and news, weather for that other location that you dont care. I have had it for a month. I like the service and video quality. Now running on 2 Amazon sticks. I like the option that you can put TV everywhere, garage, patio, etc and have “cable” witout running cables, receivers, etc.

PS vue reps are kinda cocky. No fix to have correct location unless you have fixed IP from ISP. I have xfinity Comcast. To my knowledge only commercial accounts have this option and it cost $10 extra a month. SO for now will live with the weather forecast for that 300 miles away city?!?! It did not work for me with cancelling accounts, etc to have correct zip. Browser on my PC shows correct location but it is the stick that report to PS some other location.

I had problem with PS billing page as well, the only fix; buy Gift cards from amazon 2x$20 for the $39.99 monthly fee. You can also buy them in the retail grocery stores Kroger, etc.

I am not sure if it draws internet when on pause or just keep buffering. I just click Home button on stick remote when I turn the TV off.