Today I got my hands on the 3rd gen Fire TV. One of the most popular questions I get is should you upgrade to the 3rd gen Fire TV from the 2nd Gen Fire TV.
Well, I could talk about it but showing you is probably the best way to do this. So here is my head to head review of the Fire TV 3rd gen vs the 2nd Gen:
Here are some details from the 3rd gen Fire TV’s Amazon listing:
- All-new Fire TV with 4K Ultra HD and HDR support in a compact and portable form factor.
- Experience true-to-life picture quality and sound with access to vivid 4K Ultra HD up to 60 fps, HDR, and Dolby Atmos audio.
- Enjoy tens of thousands of channels, apps, and Alexa skills with access to over 500,000 movies and TV episodes from Netflix, Prime Video, YouTube, Hulu, HBO, SHOWTIME, STARZ, and more. Subscription fees may apply.
- Use your voice to easily find, launch, and control content with your Alexa Voice Remote or pair Fire TV with an Echo device for hands-free content control.
- Do more with Alexa by playing music, ordering a pizza, and controlling compatible lights and other smart home devices—just ask.
- Prime membership unlocks thousands of movies and TV episodes, including Thursday Night Football, Amazon Original Series, Amazon Channels, and ad-free listening to millions of songs with Prime Music.
- No cable or satellite? No problem. Use an HD antenna to get free broadcast networks like NBC and PBS or watch live TV and sports with subscriptions to Hulu, PlayStation Vue, and Sling TV.
- Simply plug into an HDTV and start streaming in minutes. With an ultra-fast processor and 802.11ac Wi-Fi, you can rely on smooth and responsive performance.
So should you upgrade to the 3rd gen?
If you have an HDR TV I would upgrade to the 3rd gen Fire TV. HDR brings a noticeable improvement in image quality. If you do not own an HDR TV I would not upgrade at this time. The 2nd gen Fire TV is faster and has more features than the cheaper 3rd gen Fire TV does not have.
If I was buying a new Fire TV and you want to use it for streaming videos I would buy the 3rd gen Fire TV. With more TVs adding HDR support I would buy the 3rd gen so you are ready when you upgrade your TV.
Need cord cutting tech support? Join our new Cord Cutting Tech Support Facebook Group for help.