High Castle Amazon

First Look: Amazon Prime Video on The Apple TV

Six months ago today Apple announced that the Amazon Prime Video app was coming to the Apple TV. Today that became a reality with version 5 of the Amazon Prime Video app. With this addition of the Amazon Prime Video app on the Apple TV, it ends a long standoff between Amazon and Apple.

Here is your first look at the new Amazon Prime Video app on the Apple TV:

“There is nothing that excites us more than delighting our customers, and we are thrilled for them to stream Prime Video on Apple TV,” said Mark Eamer, Vice President of Prime Video. “The app arrives just in time for the highly anticipated new season of The Grand Tour, which launches on December 8th, and Prime Video members streaming on the Apple TV 4K will have the exceptional viewing experience of 4K HDR.”

Here are the Version 5.0 release notes:

• Watch on your Apple TV directly by downloading the separate tvOS app (requires Apple TV 3rd generation or later).
• Universal Search now supported – search for Prime videos using iOS search (US, CA, AU, NO, & SE only).
• iPhone X support.

You can find the Amazon Prime Video app on iTunes HERE.

Please follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more news, tips, and reviews.

Need cord cutting tech support? Join our Cord Cutting Tech Support Facebook Group for help.

18 Responses to First Look: Amazon Prime Video on The Apple TV

1. Nathan John Ganiere December 6, 2017 at 10:50 am #

yeah, tested it, app works great…….kinda fire tv like layout on the apple tv……….

2. PaperCoyote December 6, 2017 at 11:04 am #

I know it is a matter of personal opinion, but on the ATV4K, this is the best experience I have had with Prime. I have used it on Rokus, Fire TVs, the Shield TV, Xbox, PS4 and various TV’s and other devices. This version is quick and feels less cluttered probably because it doesn’t have the buy/rent items and Amazon isn’t trying to push that content. It is clean, fast, and a much more pleasant experience. I am very happy with what Amazon has done with this app. Integration with the ATV TV app is awesome and UHD playback of Movies Anywhere purchases works great. Kudos to the team at Amazon.

• Karl Childers December 6, 2017 at 11:12 am #

Glad to hear that it works with Apple’s TV app. Can’t wait to try it out this evening when I get home.

• SS December 6, 2017 at 11:13 am #

Yes, the biggest problem with Amazon Video on other platforms is usually the cluttered interface. But this seems like the cleanest app they’ve ever made.

• jmgnyc December 6, 2017 at 1:55 pm #

I agree, plus there’s no banner ads floating around everywhere to confuse you as to what is content and what’s an ad.

• Fred Koot December 6, 2017 at 3:14 pm #

Ironically I find Fire t.v.the worst interface for Amazon Video

3. Matt December 6, 2017 at 11:57 am #

Just tested it out and find a major problem, everything is in stereo and not Surround Sound. How can this happen?? Picture is great though….

• jmgnyc December 6, 2017 at 1:54 pm #

I contact Amazon support and was told they are aware of the issue and are working on it.

• Matt December 6, 2017 at 3:36 pm #

Awesome, thanks!!

4. TaiPeng December 6, 2017 at 12:03 pm #

Does this require another TVOS update?

• Matt December 6, 2017 at 12:09 pm #

5. jmgnyc December 6, 2017 at 12:38 pm #

I’m so happy I can retire my Roku now and use ATV for everything. While HDR is looking great from Amazon on an ATV 4K, there seems to be a bug where it is only outputting stereo while the Amazon app itself and Amazon’s webpage on the ATV app clearly state it’ll do 5.1 surround. Hopefully it’ll be fixed soon.

• vesalius December 6, 2017 at 12:50 pm #

Same here. Hope they fix soon, but quite happy overall to be just go to the TV app and find Amazon Prime shows among the video options on the shelf and up next selections. Now if Netflix would ever get over themselves and integrate!

The conspiracy theorist in me wonders if the uptick in Google vs Amazon friction is at least in part directly correlated to the decrease in Apple vs Amazon friction.

• SS December 6, 2017 at 1:18 pm #

Google is finally starting to fight back probably because they’re trying to push Google Assistant/Home to overtake Alexa/Echo.

Before that, Amazon wasn’t really a big threat to Google so they let Amazon do whatever they wanted including choosing not to sell Chromecast.

With Google products leaving Fire platform and Amazon Video coming to other platforms, a lot of people won’t see the need to have Fire TV. They can get a Roku or Apple TV instead. So, Amazon is going to hurt in the end.

6. Andrew Lindeman December 6, 2017 at 1:55 pm #

Hooray! Now I just want the Apple TV HDHomeRun app and DirectTV cloud DVR and I will be in cord cutter heaven! 🙂

• JGaLaXY December 6, 2017 at 4:03 pm #

the Channels app? for HomeRun?

• JoeRaiderXX December 6, 2017 at 5:20 pm #

I use AppleTV, Tablo (tvOS app), and DTVN. Using AppleTV to control my Tv is way better than flipping from cable box to TV or DVR to run amazon prime. Plus, there are more options and the apps are quicker and smoother.

7. Steve Flippo January 5, 2018 at 10:43 am #

I would like to cut my cable. I still want some channels, but I don’t want espn, cnn, msnbc, bet, or MTV because I disagree with their politics. Any suggestions?