Roku Stick 4K

First Look: DIRECTV NOW Beta on Roku

Yesterday AT&T started rolling out invites to test the DIRECTV NOW app beta on Roku players. Now, this is just testing the app, not the DVR.

According to the emails going out, the DVR will come later. “The True Cloud DVR is not available for Roku devices yet. We’ll let you know when it’s ready for Roku device testing. In the meantime.” The email goes on to say “You can stream live channels and on-demand content. · You can set recordings from your Roku device, but at this time you can’t view your playlist or playback any recordings on it.”

Thanks to great readers here is your first look at the DIRECTV NOW Roku Beta:

Now I am sure the link to the beta will be made public soon. Just remember DIRECTV NOW has locked down the beta to invited testers only. So installing it on your Roku right now will just take up space.

Now, as best we can tell only a handful of invites have gone out to a few lucky beta testers.

Please follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more news, tips, and reviews.

Need cord cutting tech support? Join our new Cord Cutting Tech Support Facebook Group for help.

16 Responses to First Look: DIRECTV NOW Beta on Roku

1. Robert Kreutzer January 26, 2018 at 11:30 am #

I got the invite and installed the beta, but it will not allow me to log in. I even logged out of my regular DTVN and logged back in just to make sure I was using the correct user name and password … but still can’t get in. Any suggestions?

• Steven Jones January 26, 2018 at 4:39 pm #

isnt working on web either.

• Jeff January 27, 2018 at 9:30 am #

When I got the DTVN Beta they made me use a different username than my regular DTVN (which was my phone number). I missed that tidbit in their instructions, so you might want to check that just in case.

2. ROSSIE TAYLOR January 26, 2018 at 11:45 am #

I got the invite as well but without the Cloud DVR what the point.

• Shawn Latimer January 26, 2018 at 11:50 pm #

picture quality on the beta is much better for me

3. Nathan John Ganiere January 26, 2018 at 3:37 pm #

sad thing is works better on ROKU or Fire TV than the Apple TV which constantly throws various errors………

4. Steven Jones January 26, 2018 at 4:13 pm #

i dont think its the login, just doesnt do anything

5. streaming_in_oklahoma January 26, 2018 at 7:59 pm #

“You can set recordings from your Roku device, but at this time you can’t view your playlist or playback any recordings on it.”

Kinda sounds like that song from the ’80s….you can look at the menu, but you just can’t eat.

6. Chris January 26, 2018 at 10:44 pm #

Why cant they just make the guide like their satellite guide?

• JD Campbell January 27, 2018 at 10:00 am #

I wondered that too. I like how regular DirecTV puts the current show playing at top & waterfalls the Guide below rather than overlay whole screen.

• Chris January 27, 2018 at 11:42 am #

IMO the sat guide is the best in the business so I’m sure they’d like to have a top shelf guide in the market that is eventually going to kill cable and satellite. Why not try to have the best product available now. Unless the guides are heavy on resources then I don’t see why this should be a problem. But then again all of the streaming services I have tried have severe issues with guides.

• Greg Robinson January 29, 2018 at 10:17 am #

Complete with every other channel being a 24/7 informercial? I fell for the “Breaking Bald” click bait more than once!

7. Margaret January 27, 2018 at 11:06 am #

I would consider going with DirecTV Now in a heartbeat and change my cell service BACK to AT&T, but the cell service in our area with AT&T sucks so I changed to Verizon. If/When it improves, then I would consider changing.

8. Bill January 28, 2018 at 5:50 pm #

I am a beta user for iOS and tvOS, I wonder if I am able to install the Roku new beta app. Can someone please pose either the app name or the channel code to add so I can try.

• Karen Bliss January 31, 2018 at 12:32 am #

To get the beta app for the roku go to. and use this code 2q5mg6x then go to system update then go to restart in the system and it should work using your dtvn credentials. Mine works awesome

9. brian reasoner January 29, 2018 at 2:12 pm #

we already use the directv now app on Roku we love it