Roku Ultra 2017

First Look: DIRECTV NOW Roku Beta

A couple of weeks ago AT&T started rolling out invites to test the DIRECTV NOW app beta on Roku players. Now, this is just testing the app, not the DVR.

According to the emails going out, the DVR will come later. “The True Cloud DVR is not available for Roku devices yet. We’ll let you know when it’s ready for Roku device testing. In the meantime.” The email goes on to say “You can stream live channels and on-demand content. · You can set recordings from your Roku device, but at this time you can’t view your playlist or playback any recordings on it.”

Now thanks to our readers we can give you a first look at the DIRECTV NOW Roku Beta Channel running live:

Now I am sure the link to the beta will be made public soon. Just remember DIRECTV NOW has locked down the beta to invited testers only. So installing it on your Roku right now will just take up space.

Now, as best we can tell only a handful of invites have gone out to a few lucky beta testers.

Please follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more news, tips, and reviews.

Need cord cutting tech support? Join our new Cord Cutting Tech Support Facebook Group for help.

14 Responses to First Look: DIRECTV NOW Roku Beta

1. Scott Jenkins February 6, 2018 at 11:28 am #

I’m a beta tester for the other devices. I found the roku beta link and installed from the roku website, signed in and works for me using the username and password associated with my beta account.

• Chris February 6, 2018 at 8:00 pm #

Ok. Thanks?

• Olden Maineiac February 7, 2018 at 9:27 am #

What’s the link, would like to try to compare with Fire TV.

2. Craig Smith February 6, 2018 at 11:29 am #

The guide overlay isn’t dark enough. It almost looks fully transparent to the video playing which is distracting. Also? Wow! I can’t tell whether it’s server issues? Or BETA issues? But something wasn’t 100% here…

3. Fred Koot February 6, 2018 at 11:41 am #

We are approaching a year and a half since Now has launched. Any progress?

4. Soyntgo4it February 6, 2018 at 11:55 am #

I have it and it still Buffers and very Laggy, I just canceled the service it is my last month. No DVR if they change before it officially cancels I will reinstate.

5. Garry February 6, 2018 at 12:40 pm #

I am one of the Lucky ones to get ROKU BETA, have been on IOS. I am very pleased with it. DVR is not something I will use anyway so not an issue. Watched Super Bowl, not a blip. Been watching ROKU BETA, think I like most is HD picture. I’m glad I chose DTVN. I have tried all the rest and this is my choice. No more FREE trials, decision made.

6. Steve February 6, 2018 at 12:50 pm #

I like the Roku beta, but it is the beta. I like being able to highlight a stream and see the details of the program. I do not see how to set up recording although I realize that this feature is not yet active. I get occasional buffering, but nothing as distracting as it used to be. I think that a lot of people experience buffering due to equipment that is insufficient. I have a Linksys EA7500 router that I highly recommend. I also have microwave Internet service. The cable goes directly from the antenna into the router. There is no modem. Fortunately, not one instance of buffering during the Super Bowl. I am going to stick with Directv Now. I think that over time they will create a useful, reliable product. We’ll see.

7. Iphart February 6, 2018 at 1:13 pm #

Now they are offering $10/month for 3 months.

8. Jeffrey February 6, 2018 at 2:58 pm #

DTVNow needs to get Profiles like Netflix. We go streaming, I don’t want my Fav shows getting mixed with my Kids and vice versa.

9. mike reynold February 6, 2018 at 7:48 pm #

tried them all sling hulu live direct now all with free trials cant cut right now but direct now has 60 channels for $35 when they get dvr online it might be a game changer for all fyi i had very little buffering problems sling didnt have my channels hulu not enough channels wat i need want

10. Blue_Sky February 6, 2018 at 8:21 pm #

It’s not that it’s a beta it’s that its DirecTV Now. Aka lag city.

• Marie February 6, 2018 at 11:16 pm #

Yup no matter what I use it lags.. not my internet. Everything else works perfectly..use sling wish I could use DirecTV now just sucks too much!!

11. Tony February 7, 2018 at 2:05 pm #

Have you guys done a review of the Fubo Roku app?