Roku Streaming Stick w_remote
We may earn a commission from purchases through links on our site. You can learn more here.

First Look: DIRECTV NOW on Roku

The long awaited and much demanded DIRECTV NOW Roku channel is finally here after months of promises. Today AT&T made it official and released a DIRECTV NOW channel for Roku streaming media players.

Here is my first look at the new DIRECTV NOW:

Here is the breakdown of the different DIRECTV NOW packages:

• Live a Little: 60+ channels: $35 a month
  • Just Right: 80+ channels: $50 a month
  • Go Big: 100+ channels: $60 a month
  • Gotta Have It: 120+ channels: $70 a month

We may never know the full story as to why DIRECTV NOW on Roku was delayed. Though it likely has to do with AT&T’s efforts to get it right and make sure the service was stable when it rolled out to the massive Roku user base.

“Roku is a leader in streaming entertainment and millions of homes in the U.S. have Roku devices,” said Brad Bentley, executive vice president and chief marketing officer, AT&T Entertainment Group. “DIRECTV NOW is about bringing customers entertainment their way, so launching on the Roku platform was an important part of our strategy.”

“AT&T’s robust DIRECTV NOW service is an incredible offer for our customers who expect premium streaming entertainment at a great value,” said Steve Shannon, general manager, content and services, at Roku. “Getting consumers to the content they want the most has always been our focus.”

Disclaimer: To address the growing use of ad blockers we now use affiliate links to sites like Amazon.com, streaming services, and others. Affiliate links help sites like Cord Cutters News, LLC stay open. Affiliate links cost you nothing but help me support my family. We do not allow paid reviews on this site. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

25 Responses to First Look: DIRECTV NOW on Roku

mnsportsgeek May 30, 2017 at 1:27 pm #

I see the teams playing are listed in the sporting events. That can come to Apple TV anytime now, please.

Looks like there is a bit of loading when moving back and forth between certain menu options. I’ve never seen that on Apple TV.

Iphart May 30, 2017 at 6:02 pm #

Which. Roku do you have?

sdreamer May 30, 2017 at 1:45 pm #

>.> Can’t believe it doesn’t support older Roku Sticks…

Craig May 30, 2017 at 1:55 pm #

“Roku TV 4K models (Me: Not the 1080p models), the Roku Ultra, Roku Premiere+, Roku Premiere, Roku Express, Roku Express+, Roku Streaming Stick (model 3600R), Roku 4, Roku 3 and Roku 2 (model 4210). We will continue to work with AT&T to add support for more Roku devices in the future.”

JGaLaXY May 30, 2017 at 3:29 pm #

Sooo this doesn’t work on the Roku 3?

mau47 May 30, 2017 at 3:37 pm #

According to that list it includes the Roku 3. Did you try adding it to se if it works for you?

Eugene McCormick May 30, 2017 at 5:58 pm #

It works on mine. Glad too. Sick of waiting.

JGaLaXY May 31, 2017 at 9:52 am #

i read it wrong, everything is fine

Lynnneez May 30, 2017 at 11:47 pm #

Works great on my Roku 3.

HeyRadar May 30, 2017 at 5:11 pm #

I can believe it. The older sticks were a great idea, but are dog slow.

Elvis Black May 30, 2017 at 2:25 pm #

oh wait so the Roku TV that I purchased in December before the 4k models came out is not supported?

mau47 May 30, 2017 at 2:51 pm #

There have been 4k Roku TVs for at least a year if not more, but yes currently the only TV’s supported are the 4k models with more supposedly coming at a later date.

Finn of yore May 30, 2017 at 8:12 pm #

I bought my 4k Roku tv a year ago.

Tyson Treasure May 30, 2017 at 2:32 pm #

no bandwidth limiting why is sling tv the only service who gets this, plus i pay $30 more for the same channels except discovery, fox news and a few others…no thanks

Bill Eastman May 30, 2017 at 5:36 pm #

They have a GUIDE on Roku. Lets see how long it will take PS Vue to get a guide on Roku. I tthink the extra wait was worth it to have the GUIDE

Nathan John Ganiere May 30, 2017 at 6:20 pm #

Bill, at least on ROKU DIRECTNOW is usuable on Fire TV still unstable and don’t work for me, long as it’s working on my ROKU which it is might rejoin in on the DIRECTVNOW fun, LOL, may just have to invest in another ROKU device for other room……

Bill Eastman May 30, 2017 at 7:10 pm #

Check Groupon for refurbished Roku 3 and 4 and others

Nathan John Ganiere May 31, 2017 at 12:00 am #

yeah will be looking for a deal from somewhere…….

AstroMonster May 30, 2017 at 9:36 pm #

DirecTV Now works perfect for me on the FireTV box. Are you using the stick instead?

Nathan John Ganiere May 30, 2017 at 11:58 pm #

it’s garbage for me on FireTV box and I got 2 of them works like trash on both of them……….

Nathan John Ganiere May 30, 2017 at 11:59 pm #

ROKU working flawless, may have to pick up another for other tv if I stick with this now………

AstroMonster May 31, 2017 at 6:51 am #

Then you have something going on besides DirectTV Now.

Do you have Kodi or Google Play Services sideloaded to your FireTV box?

Lynnneez May 30, 2017 at 11:59 pm #

Surprising how much better this is than the fire tv version. For one, every time I explore the menus or click on a program to see available episodes, what I am currently watching no longer stops playing like on the fire tv version. The pause is a bit weird as it just shows a cover shot of the show instead of a frozen image of where I paused. Also, I can’t seem to restart any shows and there are virtually no episodes of anything available other than what is currently playing. However, the quality of the stream is definitely higher quality for me than PSVUE. If only they got the DVR working this would be one of the best services available (next to PSVUE for me).

IBWTF May 31, 2017 at 12:07 pm #

I signed up for a trial minutes ago & canceled it minutes after. Using it on the newer Roku streaming stick, doesn’t work on my older one. The app is a bit sluggish with all of their, menus/guides etc. The navigation isn’t as smooth, I hate the actual navigation as well. There is no mini guide, The actual guide looks clean but takes too long to fully load & scroll through. I get why SlingTV’s guide is the way that it is, it makes more sense on Roku vs this crap. The pictures are actually helpful vs seeing a bunch of titles. But other than that, the channels play nice. I will be keeping SlingTV.

chuck_fu June 3, 2017 at 10:35 am #

I tried setting up an account with them on my tablet for I don’t know how long & have yet to accomplish anything. WTF? Do I need to dust off my laptop and use windows to accomplish this cryptic task? I do all my other streaming media accounts on my tablet is it a mystery to get this task done? :p