Fire TV 4k

Update: Google Breaks YouTube on Amazon Fire TV Browsers

The fight between Google and Amazon just took a new turn today as Google cracked down on Fire TV users once again. Today Google blocked Silk or Firefox browser to access YouTube.com version made for smart TVs.

Update: AFTVnews has posted a new story saying the YouTube.com/TV support for Fire TV browsers has been restored.

Now if you try to access YouTube.com/TV on a Fire TV through the Firefox or Silk browser you will be redirected to the desktop version of the site. According to Elias Saba from AFTVnews who first reported this change “By blocking access to the version of YouTube made for television browsers, Google has deliberately made browsing their website an unusable experience on Amazon Fire TVs, Fire TV Sticks, and Fire TV Edition televisions.”

This fight over YouTube and Amazon has been going on for some time. A few months ago Google pulled the YouTube app from the Echo Show. Back in November 2017 YouTube app returned to the Echo show but Google didn’t release that app it came from Amazon and Google didn’t learn about it until they saw it in the press according to TechCrunch.

The standoff heated up in early December as Google announced plans to pull the YouTube app from the Fire TV on January 1st 2018. Amazon responded by adding a browser to allow access to the web version on the Fire TV. Now Google has countered by blocked the Fire TV’s browsers from access the made for TV edition of YouTube.com.

Back on December 15th The Verge reported that Google and Amazon are in talks to keep YouTube on the Fire TV, but as of today it looks like nothing has come from these talks.

Please follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more news, tips, and reviews.

Need cord cutting tech support? Join our Cord Cutting Tech Support Facebook Group for help.

14 Responses to Update: Google Breaks YouTube on Amazon Fire TV Browsers

1. Cooper McChester January 22, 2018 at 6:16 pm #

Anyone try the chrome browser on firestick? Also here is a work around

• DesignatedJizTowel January 22, 2018 at 9:02 pm #

Good info. Thanks.

2. Ottis DA Da aD January 22, 2018 at 6:17 pm #

Google is one petty company when it comes to their apps. Similar thing happened when Microsoft made a YouTube app for Windows mobile years ago. Why not just make & keep an app like other successful companies such as Netflix & Hulu. But then again Amazon did remove twitch from Roku.. sigh

3. charles perry January 22, 2018 at 6:21 pm #

Dropped Firefox from my apps as soon as it happened. Can’t believe how petulant and petty Google is being. Until this is solved, I’m using my Roku to access YouTube.

• Rocksleeper January 22, 2018 at 6:39 pm #

According to the article… It’s already solved.

• charles perry January 23, 2018 at 8:48 am #

Yes it’s back but all my bookmarks are gone. Thanks for nothing, Google! BTW, I have no intention of reinstalling the original YouTube app until Google takes the block down.

• chad January 23, 2018 at 8:37 am #

Considering Amazon had workarounds to bypass the Google Play Store and pulled Google Chromecasts from their store (while selling Apple TVs), I’m not sure they are being petty. In fact, they probably should do a lot more.

• David Batten January 23, 2018 at 8:46 am #

Amazon has been violating the Android OS terms of use licensing in its use of Android as the core of all the Amazon Fire products. This has been going on since day the first product hit the shelf.
      Google created Android and gives it freely with a few requirements and Amazon is violating them.
      Google finally said enough and drew a hard line in the sand. No one can blame them for that.

4. Teddy G January 22, 2018 at 6:24 pm #

The two internet giants sulking

5. REP January 22, 2018 at 6:56 pm #

I never used Silk to go to Youtube. There are other ways to get there and Google can’t stop me haha.

• James Grayson January 22, 2018 at 10:32 pm #

I only used Silk to see if it would work, and it does, Now I will try Firefox.

• James Grayson January 22, 2018 at 10:37 pm #

Yep, works on Firefox.

6. James Grayson January 22, 2018 at 10:27 pm #

I just used the Silk browser to access YouTube on my FireTV. I didn’t try Firefox, but I bet that will work also. As I said before, I don’t think YouTube wants to start blocking browsers.

7. Teddy G January 25, 2018 at 6:38 pm #

Just an FYI. I wanted to come back to this post and send anyone with a FireTV a helpful suggestion. If you are familiar with sideloading apps, then look for an android apk called “apktime”. It’s an app that provides access to another android app store. Once installed, in the “FireTV” section you will find another app called “S-Tube” This is a pixel by pixel clone of the official Google Youtube app. However, this app isn’t blocked by Google and it works perfectly on FireTVs. I installed it earlier this morning on my 2nd gen FireTV box. It works better than the Amazon’s version of Youtube app ever did. No need for a 3rd party web browser. Good luck.