Hallmark_Channel.svg

Hallmark Channel: “No Future Plans To Join Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon Prime”

Hallmark_Channel.svg
The Hallmark Channel is one of the last channels to hold out on online distribution for the majority of their movies and some TV shows. And they have no plans to join Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon Prime.

When cord cutters and potential cord cutters say what held them back, the Hallmark Channel often comes up as one of the reasons people keep cable. It is listed as the second main reason people keep cable, especially older viewers. The first are live events, such as sporting events.

In an exclusive interview on the Internet & Television Expo 2015 show floor Cord Cutters News talked with staff from the Hallmark Channel. Hallmark staff made it clear that they “Have no future plans for new online distribution.” Hallmark representatives clearly stated that Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime were not part of their future strategies. They also clearly pointed out that their focus is and will continue to be cable providers.

At a time when most networks are moving to offer their content to the quickly growing cord cutting market, Hallmark runs the risk of being left out. They do sell some of their movies and TV shows on services like Amazon, however, none of the Hallmark Originals appear on such services.

It will be interesting to see how long networks like Hallmark can hold out before they join a service like Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon.

16 Responses to Hallmark Channel: “No Future Plans To Join Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon Prime”

Casey July 5, 2015 at 1:55 am #

How disappointing. The Hallmark Channel is doomed if it doesn’t engage in an online distribution model i.e., Netflix, Amazon, Hulu. The channel is one of my favorites. However, due to price gouging by DirecTV, I switched to AT&T — yep, soon to merge with DTV — but just found out that AT&T Uverse doesn’t carry Hallmark Channel. Was hoping to still watch HC online, but can’t. So, now they have one less viewer, which may not matter much at first, but it is a trend that will only continue into thousands of less viewers … just Google “Hallmark Channel not on Uverse.” It’s so short-sighted of Crown Media, it’s something that could easily be rectified. Offering an online option would actually GROW your audience beyond your limited cable distribution. So long Hallmark.

Jim August 9, 2015 at 5:03 pm #

I totally agree. I was thrilled when AT&T picked Hallmark back up a few weeks ago. Now I have to do some major financial redistribution, and cutting the cable is one of those things. I went to streaming services, and am losing Hallmark just weeks after getting it. I love watching it with my Grandmother when I visit on weekends, and am sad to have it go away so soon. Well the said they wouldn’t come back to AT&T anytime soon because of contract disputes, so I don’t think they can stay out of the streaming biz for long.

Off to enjoy my last few movies before the cable cuts off on Tuesday.

Maggie September 2, 2015 at 7:43 pm #

I tried contacting Hallmark with some criticism two days ago. I told them I cancelled cable after 20 years because channels were not ala carte. My cable provider said it was the networks fault, REALLY!

Could not find any contact at USA channel. I’m pretty sure they are owned by one of the networks.

Johnathan October 2, 2015 at 3:12 pm #

Hallmark owns their own online video service called Feeln.com – I don’t know why they didn’t mention it. There’s another service called PixL TV which is available on Dish Network and YouTube, pixltv.com and they show a lot of the movies that aren’t carried on Feeln, and sometimes the movies air on PixL TV before they are even shown on Hallmark TV.

James March 22, 2016 at 6:14 pm #

Feeln.com only shows a selection of Hallmark Hall of Fame movies. You don’t get access to their full library as far as I can find out. If you are addicted to their holiday movies, for example, you are out of luck.

Rich in Lindstrom April 22, 2016 at 2:24 pm #

I heard recently that the channel was sold and will be under new management. I can only hope that they will see the error of their ways and either offer an ala carte offering or as part of something like Sling TV.

The current policy seems very short-sighted. In the same way someone might hold on to stock in a buggy whip manufacturer because this automobile thing is probably a fad. 🙁

Lee Gibson August 25, 2016 at 12:15 pm #

Hallmark Mysteries Channel is the sole reason I haven’t dumped my cable and gone to streaming. Sooner or later, though, I’ll have to let it go and go to stream. I don’t get it. These people are committing suicide.

Prasoon Singh August 25, 2016 at 8:50 pm #

My parents just cut the chord and we got SlingTV and the Apple TV. I’m surprised it’s taking Hallmark to join Netflix. My parents do not want to spend another five bucks a month for one channel on top of $30 a month with Sling and CBS.

Michele Smart August 30, 2016 at 7:29 am #

feeln does not carry the current Hallmark channel shows.

Michele Smart August 30, 2016 at 7:29 am #

I do have the Feeln.com as mentioned it does not contain their current
    shows..Hallmark.. channel only older movies, tv shows etc. Not current
    shows… When Calls the Heart, etc. Also, I have Sling TV which
    carries ESPN ESPN2 AND now ESPN3.. for sports broadcasts. Netflix has
    great movies/TV shows, however they are past Seasons that are
    available. Whatever I have beats COMCAST for $189 a month, I will just
    have to live without Hallmark channel. Comcast is the biggest ripoff
    company, people need to cut the cord. They start you off at a
    reasonable rate then keep increasing cost with nothing extra, in fact I
    reduced my channels etc to get better price and they still kept
    increasing….No thanks.

Coleen Behr September 12, 2016 at 10:45 am #

You can watch the shows on your computer so whats the deal about not going to Hulu or Netflix??????

mel82178 November 21, 2016 at 3:36 pm #

I know this is an old article, but I was just reviewing my SlingTV package and you can now get both the Hallmark Channel and Hallmark Movies & Mysteries as part of the ‘Lifestyle Extra’ package for an additional $5 per month. The package includes 11 channels in total (Cooking, DIY, E, FYI, Lifetime Movie Network, Oxygen, VH1, Vibrant, and WE TV as well). Not a bad addition at a minimal cost.

Hope August 22, 2017 at 1:11 am #

Thank you so much for you comment! It was like you had read my mind!! Exactly what I was looking for!

cb2000a May 7, 2017 at 3:54 pm #

Cable is dying. Streaming is the future.

Hope August 22, 2017 at 1:34 am #

I haven’t had cable television for years. I read an article tonight about Hallmark and viewer ship going through the roof. I had forgotten how much I liked Hallmark, was able to sign up through Sling…Thanks to the poster below me!

Collette Lemons November 4, 2017 at 1:24 pm #

Bothered me at first but Hulu has Turner Classic Movies so I am over Hallmark trying to force me to stay with cable or use Sling which is a nickel and dime version if cable… I imagine they will all get like that…. Eventually…