HDHOmeRun Duo

HDHomeRun Announces the CONNECT DUO+ OTA DVR

This week at CES SiliconDust announced the CONNECT DUO+ network DVR for over-the-air TV with 250 GB of storage.

“With our latest out of the box tuner solution free OTA TV has never been easier to access. Users can now record directly to the built-in 250Gb storage of the CONNECT DUO+ using our preloaded DVR engine*,” SiliconDust said in their announcement. That will allow you to record 60 hours of HD OTA TV. If you want extra storage you will need to connect to a network storage as the CONNECT DUO+ does not allow an external hard drive to be connected.

The new CONNECT DUO+ DVR allows you to stream your antenna on two devices simultaneously, enabling you to watch live TV and record a show at the same time. It comes preloaded with the HDHomeRun engine to DVR recorded content directly on your CONNECT DUO+ DVR. (There is a monthly fee for the guide data.)

With this new DVR from SiliconDust, you can stream your recordings and antenna to Windows 10, Android tablets and phones (4.4.2), Android TV streaming boxes and devices (5.0), TVs with Android OS, Fire TV OS television, Apple OSX (10.11), iOS (v10), and screen mirror to compatible Samsung and Apple devices. Device support includes Sony PS3 and PS4, XBox One and XBox One X, and Nvidia Shield Pro. (At this time there is no Roku support.)

This is the first time you will be able to use the SiliconDust DVR without having to have a second device to manage the recordings.

Need cord cutting tech support? Join our Cord Cutting Tech Support Facebook Group for help.

31 Responses to HDHomeRun Announces the CONNECT DUO+ OTA DVR

1. Fred Koot January 14, 2018 at 10:02 am #

There is a monthly fee for the guide data.)

The fee is $35 a year and includes the dr service and 2 weeks guide data. 4hrs guide data is free.

2. Fred Koot January 14, 2018 at 10:19 am #

You still need to manage the recording through the apps.

This is the first time you don’t need a secondary device to store recordings

3. Silicondust HDHomeRun January 14, 2018 at 11:06 am #

Couple of notes
    HDHomeRun DVR is $35 per year per household with unlimited playback to supported devices

As we are a network tuner, the onboard Stoarge is network accessible. Once you grow past the 250g on board. We recommend a NAS box (i.e. WD My Cloud) or other supported external storage device

This is a great start to your set up, begin with Duo+ and add more of our tuner only boxes to increase your tuner count as needed (previous generation or new)

24 hours of guide come free with Live TV
    14 days of guide once you activate your DVR subscription

The app on each and every client acts as the controller from any cross platform device in the home

• Cooper McChester January 14, 2018 at 11:55 am #

Thanks for posting here. It is nice to see companies talking about their products in this more personal venue

• William Lewis January 17, 2018 at 1:37 pm #

can we get an approximate date when this product will be available? link in the article takes you to the HdHomerun Connect Duo at Amazon (not the Duo+ with DVR storage). i checked the Silicondust website and it doesn’t have the product listed. since it was just introduced at the CES 2018 conference, it doesn’t appear to be availble for purchase yet.

4. Jeff Zacharias January 14, 2018 at 11:09 am #

They still need to have an Apple TV app to support their DVR.

5. SleepyD January 14, 2018 at 11:26 am #

Sounds great. Too bad I bought another Tivo on Black Friday. I tried the Connect before I bought the TiVo. It is a great device.

• Cooper McChester January 15, 2018 at 11:55 am #

May I ask, how much was the Tivo on Black Friday? I never thought of waiting til then to buy one

• SleepyD January 15, 2018 at 10:07 pm #

They had the white 500 GB Bolt with Vox for $139.99. The normal price is $199.99 for the Bolt and $39.99 for the Vox remote. They also had a deal on the monthly service fee for $9.99. I’m digging it so far. I just wish it wasn’t white. I can’t believe somebody thought that was a good idea.

• Cooper McChester January 16, 2018 at 9:35 am #

Thanks for the reply, When they come out with 3.0 OTA DVR, I will wait il black Friday and see if it looks low enough to buy… A white box…LOLO.. I agree with you on that. Too bad they don’t make cases for them

6. Greg S January 14, 2018 at 12:07 pm #

This is a step in the right direction, but without any sort of onboard transcoding that I can see, it will require a high performance router, device support will be limited still (no Roku as mentioned in the article), and I don’t think one would be able to stream from outside the home.

For those using HDHomerun, I still think the better play is HDHomerun with a Plex server; way more flexibility.

Or for now a Tablo, which has some trade-offs but the widest device support and remote viewing.

Hopefully someone will get the formula right soon. I’m curious to see how the new AirTV plays out.

• William Lewis January 17, 2018 at 1:48 pm #

do you use Plex for your DVR? if so, have a question. If not, sorry to bother. Plex support is, to say least, a disappointment. If you go to their facebook page they just point you to their forums and from what i’ve seen it relies mainly on its subscribers, not actually tech support or anything. I live in Washington DC and do subscribe to Plex and have been trying their DVR but their program guide/DVR scheduler runs in Pacific Time zone. So if i try to record an 8pm EST show i end up recording the 5pm News. My Plex server (windows 10 machine) does show the correct time for my time zone. from the Plex forums this looks like a this is a common problem and users have to go in and try to code a fix for it. i have uninstalled and reinstalled several times

7. Timothy Lenz January 14, 2018 at 2:32 pm #

No Roku support and no HDMI out. So no way to get it to our TV’s

• Fred Koot January 14, 2018 at 3:08 pm #

That’s Rokus fault. They refuse to decode mpeg 2. You can use Roku running through a Plex or Emby server.

• SHSPVR January 15, 2018 at 8:45 am #

Sorry Fred that wrong the mafia want a arm and leg for License

• Fred Koot January 15, 2018 at 10:22 am #

Mpeg 2 license is pennies and they wouldn’t have to because the app developers would pay

• SHSPVR January 15, 2018 at 10:37 am #

Sorry Fred it doesn’t work that way and just so you know all app developer are relying on the CPU power for decoding and not on board Hardware MPEG-2 decoder and not pennies you should take look at below link and that part of it

8. CordCutting2017 January 14, 2018 at 3:52 pm #

You could just get the Quattro w/ 4 tuner support https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hdhomerun-connect-quatro-tuner-black/6079602.p?skuId=6079602 and then build a Plex server to subscribe to Plex Pass for a one time fee of $120 https://www.plex.tv/features/plex-pass/ and get so much more. SD products open the door to possibilities but, settling for 250GB and $35/yr just for a guide is a weakness. During Dec the Quattro went down to $99 on sale and since it’s only at best buy it’s a bit captive. If you’re going to spend money on something like this for the tuners that could be obsolete in a couple of years with OTA 3.0 coming to market sooner than later… it’s best to just get the tuners w/o the HDD and just setup a NAS of some type which some of the new routers on the market can do just by plugging in your USB Drive and setting it up.

• William Lewis January 17, 2018 at 1:50 pm #

do you use Plex for your DVR? if so, have a question. Plex support is, to say least, a disappointment. If you go to their facebook page they just point you to their forums and from what i’ve seen it relies mainly on its subscribers, not actually tech support or anything. I live in Washington DC and do subscribe to Plex and have been trying their DVR but their program guide/DVR scheduler runs in Pacific Time zone. So if i try to record an 8pm EST show i end up recording the 5pm News. My Plex server (windows 10 machine) does show the correct time for my time zone. from the Plex forums this looks like a this is a common problem and users have to go in and try to code a fix for it.

• CordCutting2017 January 17, 2018 at 1:57 pm #

When you first setup the DVR the EPG should be asking for you to confirm your zip code which will tie it down to the correct time zone. Try deleting the tuners and readd them to Plex. I had an issue with the EPG not populating correctly and ended up removing and adding them back to fix it. The program selections will still be there when you add them back.

• William Lewis January 17, 2018 at 3:26 pm #

ok will try that. thank you

• William Lewis January 18, 2018 at 6:38 pm #

It took me a few tries of uninstalling and reinstalling the plex server software and a few attempts at setting up the live tv and DVR function but looks like it’s finally picking up the correct guide data.

• CordCutting2017 January 18, 2018 at 6:42 pm #

You should have been able to keep the server software in place and just remove the DVR / Tuners and re-add them to pick up the correct zip code for the EPG to be in the correct time zone. Either way you got where you wanted to be with the correct time zone 🙂

• William Lewis January 19, 2018 at 11:32 am #

Ok. At least it’s up and running and didn’t have to read my libraries. Thank you for the help. Also do we have a release date for the connect Duo+ device?

9. T-Man January 14, 2018 at 6:14 pm #

My Win8 with media center is working just fine as my DVR thank you. I’ll never use any service that requires a monthly fee. EVER

• Fred Koot January 15, 2018 at 7:46 am #

Once Windows ends support for Media Center, you will have to pay at least a one time fee.

• SHSPVR January 15, 2018 at 8:39 am #

Nope you do know there are other way to get free EPG in Windows Media Center

10. rayjay99 January 14, 2018 at 7:40 pm #

This might work with HD Homerun being the only Competitor to Tablo, with Simple.tv gone. But as Silicon Dust themselves said in a Comment to this post they Still want you to have a Network Hard drive box to get more Storage. I say I am happy with Tablo more. All I have to do is plug a 2 terrabyte hard Drive in to my Tablo and I’m good. I Think when Simple.tv shut Down Silicon Dust should have bought its software. Because network storage is hard to do. Why I love Tablo.

11. SHSPVR January 15, 2018 at 8:50 am #

To me I wouldn’t waste one cent on this now if it had a removed harddrive that can upgrade to any size then it may be good seller how as dual tuner I would still pass

12. mojozulu January 15, 2018 at 6:15 pm #

Add video out connectors and you have a winner!

13. William Lewis January 17, 2018 at 1:23 pm #

make sure if you click the hyperlink in the article for product in amazon you double check what comes up. amazon does not sell the Duo+ yet. the hyperlink in the article takes you to the basic Connect Duo product. (key is the price, i doubt that SiliconDust (parent company) would sell a tuner with a 250gb hard drive for $99.)