If you’ve ever tried to stream a TV show or watch a movie while traveling, you may have found that getting your Roku, Fire TV, or Apple TV to connect to the hotel’s WiFi isn’t always that easy. Luckily, you can use your PC or Mac as a mobile hotspot when connected to the hotel’s WiFi network with a few simple steps, allowing you to connect your devices to the Internet and start streaming. This makes connecting your streaming player to your hotel WiFi a lot easier.
First, connect your laptop to your hotel’s WiFi network and follow these steps to share your WiFi connection with other devices.
If You Have a PC
- Select Start > Settings > Network & Internet > Mobile Hotspot
- For Share my Internet connection from, choose the Internet connection you want to share
- Select Edit > enter a new network name and password > Save
- Turn on Share my Internet connection with other devices
- To connect on the other device, go to the Wi-Fi settings on that device, find your network name, select it, enter the password, and then connect.
If You Have a Mac
- Click the Apple Icon on the top menu bar > System Preferences
- Click Sharing
- Click on Internet Sharing, tick the box for Wi-Fi
- Turn on internet sharing by ticking the box for Internet Sharing
- Click Start on the popup menu
Connect your device to your mobile hotspot and you’ll be ready to catch up on your favorite TV shows or kick back and relax with a movie.
Which streaming device you like to use when you’re away from home? Let us know in the comments!
Did you know we have a YouTube Channel? Every week we have a live Cord Cutting Q&A, and weekly Cord Cutting recap shows exclusively on our YouTube Channel!