Hulu

Hulu is Eliminating Hulu Plus

Hulu

Update: Hulu officially pulled the plug on Hulu Plus on June 16th 2015. No worries if you are a subscriber the only thing different is that it is just called Hulu now.

In a surprising move, the Hulu CEO announced last week that Hulu will be removing the “Plus” from their premium service. Hopefully this is just the start of some major changes at Hulu to address some of the main complaints about the service.

In a recent interview, Hulu CEO Mike Hopkins said having two brands is confusing. “We’re going to be Hulu minus the Plus.”

Many are speculating this may be part of a massive redesign of the Hulu site and service. Maybe even finally follow through on their plan to reduce the number of ads they show. Only time will tell, but Hulu is clearly working toward something big under their new CEO.

A name change for Hulu makes good business sense, because Hulu Plus has a poor reputation and this change, along with a few others, could be what Hulu needs to regain their spot as the second-largest streaming service in the United States. A spot that they lost to Amazon Instant last year.

Nothing truly seems to be changing—at least for now. Similar to countless other services, Hulu will continue to offer a free option but many of the features still will be hidden behind a pay wall.

So the question now is what changes would get you to subscribe to Hulu?

Please follow us on Twitter or like us on our new Facebook page.

20 Responses to Hulu is Eliminating Hulu Plus

Les Wilder May 29, 2015 at 9:23 am #

The only thing that will bring me back would be the removal of all advertising. I could put up an antenna and view all the shows I want for a lot cheaper than paying Hulu, if I wanted to watch the ads that go with over the air broadcasting.

Anon May 30, 2015 at 2:07 am #

But you wouldn’t be able to watch them at any time you wanted, pause, rewind, etc.
      I actually enjoy the adverts they display and I haven’t actually had that many display.
      Less than the amount that they show on regular television.
      For $8 a month I can’t complain. There are other streaming services that cost $20+ for way less content.

Raymond May 29, 2015 at 10:37 am #

Definitely eliminate the ads for paid features. I have absolutely no problem with the ads, even the amount of them, when watching free programming. (nothing is actually free). But if I have to pay to view something there better at least be a drastic reduction in ads if not a complete elimination of them.

And, as with all things Internet TV related, if they find a way to present some live sports events without having to be a cable subscriber then I’ll pay for it in a heart beat.

Kerry Maxwell May 29, 2015 at 11:13 am #

To me Hulu Plus = The Criterion Collection, and as long as they don’t touch a hair on it’s head, I’ll keep paying my $7.99 a month. Any changes to the deal re: Criterion would likely have me dropping the service like a hot potato. I occasionally use it for the odd Comedy Central show, or SNL hilights, and the ads don’t bother me in that setting.

Andrew Schaefer May 29, 2015 at 2:14 pm #

Thing is, I can watch the latest episodes of shows already for free with ads. Fox, ABC, NBC, CBS, Comedy Central all have their own apps that show everything free with ads. And those ads are far less annoying and repetitive.

Jeff May 29, 2015 at 2:27 pm #

I love Hulu Plus, and there are already much fewer ads than there used to be. I basically use it as a DVR that never misses the beginning or end of the shows. The movies are just a bonus.

Gern May 30, 2015 at 11:35 am #

I was a Hulu subscriber last year for 2 months. I dropped it because was much harder to navigate and find good content on their service. One major problem with Hulu is that much of their content is littered with small video clips only. It is a deception and I got tired of spending so much time trying to find full shows and seasons of shows.
    I hope they eventually change to providing more consistent content and remove the video clips clutter.

Mark June 1, 2015 at 11:46 am #

Agree with this fully. I was for 2 months as well, but it was just too hard to find what to watch.

Angela June 1, 2015 at 12:08 pm #

We watch Hulu Plus on our Roku 2. We do watch it a lot…when the streaming works. Through our Roku 2 or Amazon Fire stick we watch many different streaming services – Amazon, Vudu, Hulu Plus, HBO Go, WWE Network…to name a few. Hulu Plus is the only one we have consistant streaming issues with – sometimes resulting in not being able to watch it at all. The issue is not on our end because we have no trouble with anything else. When it works, however, I do like much of the content it has. I do wish they were a little more consistant though. Some shows they have every single episode made, some shows only have the current season, some shows only the last 5 episodes. I had a 1 year gift card so we’ll see if there is improvement in the coming months. Otherwise we may also be cutting the cord come December.

Admin June 1, 2015 at 12:31 pm #

We hope you do cut the cord! Let us know if you have any questions about canceling cable.

Brian January 11, 2016 at 9:50 am #

How does this affect Hulu 2 tier pricing?…if you are paying for Hulu Plus but now Plus goes away, how is pricing going to be affected?

Deadpan June 1, 2015 at 7:38 pm #

Opinion automatically discarded based on viewing of WWE.

sir jorge June 2, 2015 at 4:14 pm #

Way to be closed mind-dead.

Karen July 8, 2015 at 3:20 pm #

I have tried Hulu Plus in the past, with a free 2 wk. trial. I wanted to give it a try again, now that they added Seinfeld to the site. So, currently, I am paying the $7.99 per month. But, due to streaming issues, which wasn’t a problem until after about the first wk., I may have to cancel it. I really like some of the shows they offer, but if it takes up too much time, just with loading one 20 min. show, plus in navigating their site, I have to say, “Forget it!” 🙁

Willys June 17, 2015 at 2:32 pm #

So,what about the Hulu that wasn’t plus? I was able to access programming for lots of TV programs that weren’t on Hulu (now minus plus). Will that be integrated in the ‘H/minus plus, called something different, or lost forever, or other?

jjimg1474 February 22, 2017 at 10:11 am #

I was a fan of Hulu before Hulu Plus. There is no other service like Hulu Plus, I have never had a streaming issue with Hulu Plus and I have been with them from the beginning. To be fare, I have no streaming issues with Amazon, Vudu, HBO Go, Netflix, Sling Tv, or PlayStation Vue. However I can’t say the same about Directv Now. Also no issues with CBS All Access.

Virginia Kennedy May 19, 2017 at 5:49 pm #

I have streaming issues with Hulu plus. It’s takes much longer to stream Hulu than it does NETFLIX and Amazon. I find NETFLIX is superior in streaming, variety and choices. I spend most of my time on Netflix followed by Amazon, then Hulu.

Virginia Kennedy May 19, 2017 at 5:55 pm #

No thank you. Ads will ALWAYS be annoying. I will gladly pay a couple extra $$ for no Ads. The whole reason behind signing up with Roku

notsofastnow November 21, 2017 at 6:03 am #

I cancelled my subscription after the Criterion Collection moved to FilmStruck. Hulu offered the best combination of cheesy old sci fi and art house film — sadly, no longer.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. R.I.P. Hulu Plus - May 29, 2015

[…] As of last month, Hulu had 9m paid subscribers to their Hulu Plus program. As of last week, Hulu CEO Mike Hopkins announced that they’d be killing the Hulu Plus program. […]