Hulu Handmaid

Hulu Is Launching a New Guide for Their Live TV Service

Yesterday Cord Cutters News had a great opportunity to meet one on one with Hulu to look at what they are up to.

One of the biggest announcements Hulu made was that they are working on a refresh of their live TV service including a new guide. This all comes because Hulu has been listening closely to feedback from their subscribers.

Cord Cutters News did get an early look at the new interface what we can say is the new user interface will resemble the TV guide you remember from your days with cable TV.

With this new interface, you will be able to look forward and quickly see what is on not just right now but looking forward to what is on tonight and tomorrow. An easy to use guide like this is something many Hulu subscribers with live TV have been demanding since it first launched, and Hulu says they have listened and want to offer a product their subscribers want.

Here is what you can expect with this new Hulu:

Stop Suggesting

Two other big new features are coming. First, you can ask Hulu to “Stop Suggesting” a show or movie you don’t care about. This will let Hulu know you have no interest in the show or movie and to never show it again as a suggestion.

Remove from Watch History

You will also be able to remove shows from your Watch History. No longer will you have to worry about who will see that movie you just watched. Now you can just remove it from your history, and it will vanish like it was never there.

Already Watched

Hulu will also allow subscribers to manually mark shows as watched that you didn’t stream on Hulu. That will allow Hulu to build a better understanding of what you enjoy and stop recommending shows you have seen without any negative results on your future suggestions.

Push Notifications

You may have already recently noticed push notifications from Hulu. Look for more options to enable push notifications for favorite teams or shows you select to be notified about.

When Will This Come Out?

Hulu says look for these new features to hit Hulu sometime in spring of 2018.

Need cord cutting tech support? Join our Cord Cutting Tech Support Facebook Group for help.

Disclaimer: To address the growing use of ad blockers we use affiliate links to sites like Amazon.com and others. Affiliate links help sites like Cord Cutters News, LLC stay open. Affiliate links cost you nothing but help us support our families.

37 Responses to Hulu Is Launching a New Guide for Their Live TV Service

Stoneule January 10, 2018 at 8:58 am #

How about an android TV app?

bplewis24 January 10, 2018 at 10:32 pm #

Still waiting for an app for my Shield to start the free trial.

JeffO January 10, 2018 at 9:04 am #

How about that!

Samuel January 10, 2018 at 9:25 am #

Hulu is on a high. I hope they keep the momentum going in 2018! Exciting news!

seanbperiod January 10, 2018 at 10:06 am #

Forgot to mention that the LiveTV Guide will only display a few hours- so you can’t look ahead for the DAY less the week or 2 weeks like every other DVR/Guide in existence. Really makes the whole DVR/Guide thing less useful than ever. Why does Hulu hate it’s LiveTV customers?

Cord Cutters News January 10, 2018 at 10:14 am #

That is not correct the NEW guide (that is not available to the public yet) will allow you to look farther ahead than the current one.

seanbperiod January 10, 2018 at 10:20 am #

How much farther?

According to techcrunch:

“The Live TV guide, which was demonstrated to us on a TV interface, will be accessible through a new lightning bolt icon at the top left of the main navigation – likely right after the “Home” icon, or at least towards the front of the line of navigation choices, if not the second item.

Once clicked, you’re taken to a different interface that more closely resembles the TV guide you may remember from your cable box. Except, instead of offering scrollable rows of channels and programming that extends out for weeks, Hulu’s guide will only focus on what’s on now and in the next couple of hours.”

Cord Cutters News January 10, 2018 at 10:33 am #

According to Hulu you will be able to see what is on tomorrow.

seanbperiod January 10, 2018 at 10:53 am #

Perfect. So customers can spend more time on Hulu everyday, programming the DVR. So innovative! How about instead of trying to reinvent the guide or severely limiting it, do what everybody expects the guide should do based upon years of experience with regular cable guides. Vue, Sling, and YoutubeTV can do it. Why not Hulu?

b_e_q January 10, 2018 at 12:14 pm #

I originally had a (half joking) theory that Hulu’s network owners would not let Hulu cannibalize their traditional customer base.

That they would only let Hulu attract millennial cord-nevers or whatnot, who might not miss the traditional UI. Perhaps as part of their content licensing terms…

So the bosses and programmers at Hulu took that mandate and went “all in” on a new approach?

Fred Koot January 10, 2018 at 1:34 pm #

The guide issue is they don’t want to pay royalties to TiVo. Hulu is trying to see what they can do to avoid being sued again.

Rocksleeper January 10, 2018 at 4:10 pm #

TiVO has sued every streaming service…it’s their only way to get a revenue stream. Trying to avoid being sued by TiVO will make you a very….very limited streaming service. TiVO will sue for categories, searches, authorization methods, anything they think they have a prayer on. If you want to try to not upset TiVO….your streaming service will basically be ALL your content on one screen…with no search or categories…and just make the user dig through hundreds of thousands of programs to find the on they want.

But TiVO has lost in court a good bit lately…losing patents. Netflix did a huge blow to them a few years back…invalidating a lot of their patents (including “search” and “categories”). So…Hulu just needs to suck it up and make guide…like EVERYONE else is doing.

SS January 10, 2018 at 4:33 pm #

Why on earth is TiVO even allowed to patent things like searches? and grids and categories? These are things used in every day to day life and are core part of web content. Whether that content happens to be TV shows or otherwise, it shouldn’t matter. They should change rules on how they allow patents

Rocksleeper January 10, 2018 at 5:22 pm #

Pretty much what the courts said in the TiVO/Netflix case..and dissolved the patents.

Remember, when TiVO came out…they were the only DVR in the game. So…patents for that type of technology was easier to get. The courts have now dissolved many of those patents, saying exactly what you did “This technology is now generally needed for multiple types of services.”

SS January 11, 2018 at 9:36 am #

I hope the courts and whatever committee is in charge of patents fully dissolve all those patents soon. TiVO should come up with actual products instead of relying on patent lawsuits as their business model.

JeffO January 10, 2018 at 1:22 pm #

As long as they provide a guide so that you can find the damn live tv its a win

Joe in Virginia January 10, 2018 at 2:38 pm #

I use Hulu Live and just don’t get these complaints. Even without a guide you just add the shows you want to your list and they record. If you miss one all the other episodes before you set up your recording, then they are probably available on demand. I just browse the networks every once in a while to see if there are any new upcoming shows I might be interested in. Also I have never had any issues with buffering. Hulu really has tried to do something different and my hats off to them.

NashGuy January 10, 2018 at 3:55 pm #

Yeah, Hulu never intended people to “collect” shows for later viewing (whether on-demand or cloud DVR) by scrolling through days’ worth of listings in a live program guide, they way one does with a cable DVR. They intended you to do it through their existing poster-art menu system. But old habits die hard and a lot of Hulu’s new live TV subscribers, I’m sure, are coming from cable DVRs.

Michael Allbritton January 10, 2018 at 10:07 am #

This is good news, and I hope Hulu is able to release the new guide sooner rather than later. Hulu is probably my most used VOD app and when I subscribed to the live TV service I liked having it all in one place. But the biggest thing I didn’t like was the difficulty of finding live content to watch, especially during the American football season. So a live guide will be a welcome addition and I might just re-subscribe once it gets added.

Robert Severs January 10, 2018 at 10:16 am #

There’s a fine guide for Hulu at http://www.streamingtvguides.com

SS January 10, 2018 at 10:36 am #

Hulu wastes so much of my space suggesting garbage I’m never going to watch. And they make suggestions the first thing on the screen and force you to navigate to another tab to find your stuff. And even when you find your stuff, there are so many sub-tabs to go through to finally get to the episode list.

With Netflix and PS Vue, all you have to do is a simple scroll to get to your show (which will usually be at the top or middle of the home screen) and click on the show to view episodes.

TV Barrington January 10, 2018 at 10:56 am #

I tend to agree.

I typically have shows that I want to watch on Hulu, but it is a little bit of a pain to get there, compared to other streaming services. Make a service easy for the viewer to get to what they want to see, and making things easier encourages the user to use their service more often, and can be an incentive for the user to stay with a service longer. I think this is one reason why Netflix and Sling are easy to navigate around (I can’t speak about Vue LOL).

If the user wants to find something different that they want to watch that’s not on their viewing list, the user is typically smart enough to look around their streaming service. I do this with the Google Play streaming app when I want to find a movie to pay to rent.

Garry January 10, 2018 at 11:42 am #

I have tried all of the streaming sites. HULU asked for Profiles to be set up and a list of things you like to watch so they could do suggestions for you. I stopped right there and cancelled my FREE Trial. Like you I want to just scroll and pick what I want to watch.

Michael Dubanowski January 10, 2018 at 10:41 am #

Doesn’t really matter what any of it looks like or how it functions until they deal with the live buffering problems. It was unbearable and I had to cancel the live portion of my account. I hope they get it working better because I really liked having everything in one place.

AK January 10, 2018 at 10:45 am #

I know this site is a Roku haven, but the buffering issues are almost exclusive to the Roku. It is what it is. Get a better box. Yes, BrightScript is an issue.

Michael Dubanowski January 10, 2018 at 10:56 am #

BS. I’m using a FireTv box that works flawlessly and i’ve had the issues on that and Ruku. This is clearly a Hulu not ready for even beta issue.

Aaron McBroom January 18, 2018 at 2:34 pm #

I am not denying that the app devs at Hulu need to do a better job for the Roku, or FireTV. Sling, PSVue all have devs that leveraged BrightScript better (although the PSVue UI is totally different and lacking due to BrightScript and other Roku shortcomings). A cheap box is a cheap box

I am just saying that it is a fact, that if you have a Roku, Hulu will buffer like crazy. BrightScript is an issue. I am on a 50/5 connection via Wifi and I have zero buffering on my ATV. If you want to make this an “Apple hate” discussion, that’s fine, but it is what it is.

Rocksleeper January 10, 2018 at 12:42 pm #

PS VUE seems to have found a way to stream on Roku pretty flawlessly… And Sling had very little issue when I had it. I have DTVN at the moment which buffers some on Roku, but not as much as when I had Hulu.
        And all three stream at a higher quality 60fps for sports channels. Hulu streams at the lower quality 30fps..yet still had more buffering issues. So my football games on Hulu both looked crappy and buffered. Perhaps people just need to get a better app?

Darren Bratton January 10, 2018 at 2:56 pm #

That is one of the reasons it should be a free month & not a week. A week isn’t enough time for me to figure out if it’s worth it.

NashGuy January 10, 2018 at 11:36 am #

Luke, any word on AV improvements coming? When will Hulu offer 4K UHD on more devices beyond the two game consoles that they debuted the feature on a year ago? How about HDR? Or even Dolby Digital 5.1 audio? Hulu has a great catalog but they lag so far behind Netflix, Amazon and others when it comes to high-quality video and audio.

Fred Koot January 10, 2018 at 11:58 am #

Screw Tivo’s greed

Rocksleeper January 10, 2018 at 12:48 pm #

I just bought 4 months of DTVN so I could get the free Apple TV. If Hulu offers a real and usable guide for Live TV, gets 60fps for sports, and streams a little better on my devices… I’ll give them a try at that time.

James Grayson January 10, 2018 at 1:01 pm #

Dog gone it!!! Hulu just showed me Lost. Here I go again, hours and hours of Lost. Jack, Kate, Hurly, Sawyer, Ben,Sayid and John Locke.

Darren Bratton January 10, 2018 at 2:57 pm #

If they offer a month free trial I will give it a try, a week isn’t enough time for me. I also wish that when u add a show to the watchlist online, it should also show on the Roku app, but it doesn’t.

Me January 11, 2018 at 1:59 am #

Hate the regular Hulu interface. Only paying $5.99 honestly can’t even justify it at this point. Says it has shows for many networks then go to that network page very few shows. And few I watch. Basically Hulu is braodcast TV shows except CBS and old movies that just got dropped off of Netflix.

Don Canaan January 15, 2018 at 11:54 am #

Get rid of your new screen selection. The old one was terrific

Aaron McBroom January 18, 2018 at 2:29 pm #

Be careful not to say anything negative about Roku here. Luke will remove your comment.