Hulu Handmaid 2

Hulu Has Officially Started to Roll Out 60 FPS

Since Hulu launched their live TV streaming service it has been capped at 30 frames per second (FPS). This means some live sports looked a bit jerky versus at 60 FPS as it is only showing half the data.

With 60 FPS you will see a far smoother stream especially when there is fast action happening. Now Hulu has announced they are testing 60 FPS in what they are calling Phase 1 of their 60 FPS. (Hulu says they will be rolling 60 FPS out in phases.)

Here is the announcement Hulu made yesterday.

Today marks the beginning of Phase 1, and you will now be able to see the following in 60fps:

• CNN
  • CNN International
  • HLN
  • TNT
  • TBS
  • TCM
  • TruTV
  • Cartoon Network
  • Adult Swim
  • All SHOWTIME channels
  • About half of our available FOX affiliates
  • All of our available NBC affiliates, as well as New England Channel News

*Please note that individual FOX/NBC affiliates may temporarily revert back to a 30fps version in order to bring you the most stable playback stream.

The following devices are also enabled as part of Phase 1:

• iPhone/iPad

• Apple TV

• Xbox One

• Fire TV

• Samsung Tizen TV

• Nintendo Switch

Please follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more news, tips, and reviews.

Need cord cutting tech support? Join our Cord Cutting Tech Support Facebook Group for help

10 Responses to Hulu Has Officially Started to Roll Out 60 FPS

1. Rocksleeper February 8, 2018 at 8:43 am #

No roku or sports channels (where it really makes a difference).

At least they are making progress on this… But still not quite there for me to switch.

• Scott Morris February 8, 2018 at 5:00 pm #

Yeah…the two biggest omissions…sports and the roku. Must be baby steps or something

2. Dean G February 8, 2018 at 9:33 am #

I’d prefer to see them roll out a new UI or roll back to the old one. That’d be great.

3. Kevin Jordan February 8, 2018 at 9:34 am #

Hopefully this won’t increase buffering issues.

4. LMan February 8, 2018 at 10:37 am #

Does anyone know how you can test the FPS your receiving? Not sure if their is special software that will do this.

• Rocksleeper February 8, 2018 at 11:00 am #

There is software for fps.. But the easiest way is fo watch the tickers on the bottom of the screen. (like CNN)

If it is a little blurry and jittery… It is 30 fps. If it is smooth and clear… It is 60 fps

5. Joe in Virginia February 8, 2018 at 11:59 am #

I tried it out last night on my Fire TV on CNN and you can really tell the difference. I feel like Hulu is really trying to listen to its beta customers (except the ones that keep complaining that they hate the new UI – which I actually really like).

• Rocksleeper February 8, 2018 at 12:15 pm #

I guess I’m just a sucker for being able to see what is on for all the channels several hours out or longer so I know what I want to DVR. Not going to one channel…look ahead for only a couple hours. Then another channel…look ahead for only a couple hours. Then another channel…look ahead for only a couple hours…etc.

They really do need a grid option for people that actually want to see when stuff is on and DVR it hours or days in advance.

The new interface is pretty…but sure seems like I’m doing a lot more clicking to get anywhere than I was before.

• Joe in Virginia February 8, 2018 at 1:08 pm #

They are working on the grid guide (it is on the website beta now). I usually just look through the programs available on the channels under their individual channel screens every once in a while and see if there is anything new or interesting. I’ll then add it to “my stuff.” If I missed any of the shows that have already aired, I can just watch them on demand.

• Rocksleeper February 8, 2018 at 3:52 pm #

But that’s the issue…it’s pretty, but completly lacks efficency and ease of use.

If I want to record Walking Dead (Let’s pretend they have AMC just for this argument), a football game, The Flash (not sure if they have CW)…all of which I know play on the same week, just at different times….then it shoud be easy to set all those recordings from one screen.

I should be able to open a guide that has “date/time” as one row and channels in another. Then go to AMC/Sunday, click record. Then go to CW/Wed, click record. Then go to Discovery/Thursday…click record. Go to ESPN/ record. I should be able to do all of that from one screen in a matter of a minute.

Hulu’s current interface would have me go to each channel…then find the show…then add to “My Stuff”, then add it to DVR. Then back out of the channel. Got to the next channel. Go to the the next show. Add it to “My Stuff”….etc.

The first method takes 4 clicks to set the DVR with all those shows. Open grid…highlight the shows you want, click record (one ‘open’ click for channel guide, one ‘record’ click for each show in the guide). Hulu’s method takes a click per channel, and click per show, and a click to “add to My Stuff”…..then 2 click to back out back to the channel screen. So it takes 5 clicks just to set one show and get back to the channels…whicl the other method takes 4 clicks total.

If that works for you…great. For a lot of us, we rather have effeicency and ease in the interface than pretty splash screens.