tablo_dvr

Interview: A Conversation with the Founder & CEO of Tablo DVRs (Nuvyyo)

Today I am excited to share with you a conversation I had with Grant Hall, the CEO of Nuvyyo, the company behind Tablo DVRs.

Recently Nuvyyo has seen huge growth, and I had the opportunity to talk with Hall about his thoughts on the world of broadcast television and the success they have had with their Tablo DVR.

If you want to hear the full conversation, you can find it on YouTube here:

Highlights:

There are a few really interesting highlights we learned about Nuvyyo, so let’s take a look at them.

First, over the last three years Nuvyyo has had a growth rate of 268%. That is a crazy growth rate that most companies can only dream of. It clearly points to the strong growth of over-the-air TV as cord cutting continues to take hold.

Second, Rokus are solidly the most popular streaming devices with Tablo DVR owners, followed by the Fire TV and the Apple TV.

Third, the average view time for Tablo DVR owners on Roku is 4.7 hours per user per day.

These are just a few of the highlights from our conversation and details Tablo sent us. I encourage you to take a few minutes to listen to our interview with Grant Hall, the CEO and founder of Nuvyyo.

Need cord cutting tech support? Join our Cord Cutting Tech Support Facebook Group for help.

22 Responses to Interview: A Conversation with the Founder & CEO of Tablo DVRs (Nuvyyo)

1. Joseph Blow November 6, 2017 at 7:49 am #

having issues with the youtube video. will not play.

• Cord Cutters News November 6, 2017 at 10:53 am #

Give it a try now should be working for you.

2. Carl Collie November 6, 2017 at 7:58 am #

I like my Tablo, been very happy with it, I bought it with the plan that I would lose my local channels on Playstation Vue when I moved from Charlotte, NC to Raleigh, NC. Fortunately that did not happen, but I still use the Tablo for recording the local news, PBS, NBC, and the CW, My only complaint is it is a little slow to load when looking for shows to record and start up. I keep hearing Vue is going to realign the local channels based on geographic location, so if that happens I am covered, thanks for a great product.

3. David Batten November 6, 2017 at 8:59 am #

Tablo is still missing a very important function. No 5.1 audio! To many, 5.1 audio support is just as important as an HD picture.
    And Roku’s are the most popular for Tablo owners because Roku’s do not and can not process MPEG2. Do to the transcoding requirement. No other OTA device supports Roku’s

• TV Barrington November 6, 2017 at 12:39 pm #

“No other OTA device supports Roku’s”

And, I truly wished Tivo directly supported Roku. I recently took a 2 week trip, and I took my Roku with me to watch Sling and Hulu, but I quickly found that I wished my Tivo Roamio OTA had the ability to feed my Tivo recordings to me, so that I could watch my shows and local news. I know that some folks have installed extra equipment so that they can watch things through Plex, but over the decades, I tend to have gotten where I’ve grown tired of having to jump through a bunch of expensive hoops. LOL

Anyway, at the time that I was trying to decide whether I wanted to go with a 4 channel recorder like Tivo Roamio or Tablo, Tivo seemed more appealing, but somehow I totally missed the fact that you can watch Tablo OTA through Roku. Since I feel sure that at some point my Tivo will screw up with either a hard drive failing, or the main Tivo unit itself failing, I had considered getting a second recording unit as a backup, but if I did, it might be a Tablo.

• David Batten November 6, 2017 at 1:04 pm #

Tivo also uses MPEG2 in recording and streaming to other Tivo devices. Roku’s CPU’s are not fast enough to decode MPEG2.
        Other devices such as the NVidia Shield could handle streaming from a Tivo, but sadly Tivo only streams to other Tivo hardware and they don’t seem to care about added that ability.

I was a long time user of Tivo’s. However, I just dumped a Tivo Roamio and two Tivo mini’s and switched to an HDHomrRun Connect Quatro. Now, not only can I stay within an Android TV interface. The subscription cost went from $180 per year down to $35 per year.

The subscription cost is another thing that Tivo needs to address. That’s a huge difference with some of the new services/devices available now. Tivo is no longer the only game in town and they most likely wont be sued out of business like what happened to ReplayTV.

• Cord Cutters News November 6, 2017 at 1:33 pm #

“Roku’s CPU’s are not fast enough to decode MPEG2.” That not true most Roku players run a quad-core CPU as far back as the Roku 4. Even the last few generations of the Roku Stick has a quad-core CPU.

If you look at the specs Roku has a more powerful CPU than the 3rd gen Fire TV or the Apple TV 4th gen.

• David Batten November 6, 2017 at 1:48 pm #

Just because its “quad core” doesn’t make it fast. Its the actual specs of the CPU.
            With that said, if the CPU is actually capable, then something on the Roku’s eat up CPU time. Because the Roku’s that I have played with are very slow. This includes last years top of the line Roku that was only recently upgraded.

• Michael Berger November 6, 2017 at 3:29 pm #

This is true and also why Roku, even the latest top of the line models, are terrible at decoding Dolby Digital Plus. To me, DD+ sounds very watery on Roku. When I watch Netflix directly from my smart TV instead of Roku, the sound is tremendously better, but of course, my TV can’t handle DD+, but only DD, (AC3). I usually end up just using the Pro Logic feed on my Roku when watching Netflix or Prime, because the matrixed surround mix sounds better through Dolby Digital II X than Dolby Digital Plus ever does.

• TV Barrington November 6, 2017 at 2:25 pm #

“HDHomrRun Connect Quatro”

Since you seem to be implying the HDHomrRun Connect Quatro can stream recorded content to you while away from your home, I have a few questions, if you don’t mind.

1. Where do you purchase the yearly $35 grid subscription from?
          2. Is it easy to access your Quatro recorded OTA content from outside your home?
          3. Is there an app where you can watch your Quatro recorded content on a Roku or FireTV device?

• David Batten November 6, 2017 at 3:02 pm #

Sorry for the confusion, as I did not intend to imply that the HDHomeRun will allow you to watch away from home. At least not without a Plex server. However, let me answer your questions.

The Connect Quatro will not record on its own. It pairs with a PC, NAS, Shield TV, etc, etc to handle the DVR functions. As the Connect Quatro does not have a hard drive.
            The $35 guide data and DVR subscription can be purchased directly from Silicondust, who makes the HDHomeRun’s. You can also use several other DVR setups including the one from PLEX. A PLEX Pass is required for PLEX to handle OTA.

The HDHomeRun app does not support viewing live or recorded content from outside the home. I think PLEX will, but have not tried OTA on my PLEX server.

HDHomeRun supports Android TV, Apple TV, Fire TV, as well as Windows, MAC. However, none of the HDHomeRun devices support Roku. The reason for no Roku support is that all OTA is broadcast in MPEG2 and Roku’s can’t decode the MPEG2 stream.

It may be possible to use a PLEX Server and view it on a Roku as the PLEX server could do the transcoding from MPEG2 to MPEG4. But I don’t know the answer to that one.
            The reason that Tablo can be streamed to a Roku is that a Tablo transcodes all MPEG2 to MPEG4 (I believe) internally before recording the OTA content or streaming it to a player. The two big drawbacks of a Tablo (at least for me) is no 4 tuner models and no 5.1 audio. And I will not go back to only stereo sound for my prime time viewing.

I hope this helps. You can also get a lot of info directly from the Silicondust website.

• TabloTV November 6, 2017 at 5:05 pm #

> The two big drawbacks of a Tablo (at least for me) is no 4 tuner models and no 5.1 audio.

Just to clarify, Tablo does offer a 4-Tuner model (https://www.tablotv.com/products/tablo-4-tuner-ota-dvr/) and does offer 5.1 surround via Tablo ENGINE, our software DVR solution for the NVIDIA SHIELD (https://www.tablotv.com/tablo-software-ota-dvr-solution/).

• David Batten November 6, 2017 at 5:21 pm #

Yes, 5.1 Audio using the USB adapter on the NVidia Shield. But no 5.1 audio support for any of the network tuners / whole home DVR. Which is what the conversation is about.

• HeyRadar November 6, 2017 at 3:25 pm #

It’s been awhile, but I seem to recall that the Roku only uses hardware decoding, and the chips used by the Roku never has supported MPEG2. And without the hardware decoders, past Roku processors wouldn’t been fast enough.

That said, I would think it could use software based MPEG2 decoder in some of the recent models.

• Michael Berger November 6, 2017 at 3:25 pm #

This is both unfortunate and true, however, if you have a receiver with the excellent Dolby Pro Logic II processor, or even the slightly less excellent DTS Neo processor, you will get a very convincing 5.1 or even 7.1 decode in the case of DLP IIX.

• Kravimir November 7, 2017 at 1:16 am #

> No other OTA device supports Roku’s
      Eh? What about Simple.TV? While Simple.TV has died (most likely due to the severe launch issues with their 2nd generation device), within the last year, the ClearStream TV Over-The-Air Television Digital Tuner and the Mohu Airwave became available.

4. Craig W November 6, 2017 at 11:53 am #

Have our Tablo two tuner for about three weeks now. Since cutting the cord we couldn’t get the local independent accu-weather station that we would watch mainly for winter road conditions. We live in an area that has always been tough to receive OTA because we are at the edge of 3 different markets. NYC, Philadelphia and Scranton. About a year ago I began experimenting with outdoor antennas all with little success. I then began to try homemade antennas which seemed to outperform my store bought ones. I went from 7 stations from 2 broadcasters (PBS and a local independent) to over 45 stations which includes all the major networks except ABC. ( All the ABC stations I could potentially receive are broadcasting on low vhf frequencies.) I currently am working on a new antenna to try to pull in these missing stations. My current setup includes 3 attic mounted antennas, (2 that made and a Mohu Sky) 1 pointed south towards Philadelphia ,1 pointed north towards Scranton and the Mohu pointed west towards Allentown. In a way I’m fortunate because I don’t get any overlapping interference because of the distance to the broadcast antennas is so great and in 3 different locations each about 90 degrees apart. I’m using a Winegard Boost XT amp after combining the signals to my closet mounted Tablo then streaming to my 3 Roku devices and a Fire HD tablet. This is an ongoing experiment that I’m having fun doing.

• TV Barrington November 6, 2017 at 12:50 pm #

I considered making my own antenna too, but finally decided to purchase one to install into my attic. I have one CW station that faces North of me, and the rest face East of me (ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, and Fox). I can pick up those 6 channels and their sub-channels (for about a total of 22 stations). I do have duplicate channels down south of me, but I currently do feel it’s necessary to try and receive those.

I purchased this 8 element antenna below and pointed 1 array half northward, and the other array half to the east. I purchased it from Amazon while on sale earlier this year, and I’m pretty happy with it.

5. mola2alex November 6, 2017 at 8:48 pm #

“Rokus are solidly the most popular streaming devices with Tablo DVR owners, followed by the Fire TV and the Apple TV.”

Likely because of the well documented issues with Chromecast support. I got it working reliably with Chromecast without recording quality degradation but Tablo treats it like a second rate device saying they don’t recommend it – right on their website. I think if they spent more time on that, it would be a much easier sell and more popular choice. I know zero people with a Roku.

6. Jeff McLean November 6, 2017 at 8:51 pm #

Love my tablo great device and lifetime guide a lot cheaper than cable/satellite over time.
    I love it is works everywhere on all kinds of devices.

7. Marc H November 7, 2017 at 3:05 am #

wow 4.7 hours per day average? thats triple what I watch, where do they find the time.

8. RonV42 November 12, 2017 at 10:07 am #

I have had the Tablo for a week now. Using a old RCA HDTV antenna without an amplifier indoors and getting all the channels in my area. Funny the TV tuners can’t get the signal strength the Tablo can get. Also I am using a combination of Roku’s and X Box One’s. I would say the Xbox app is much better that Roku’s as it comes to sorting and configuration. But both have no issue streaming any content recorded. As I work towards cutting U-Verse out of my home OTA TV is going to supplement streaming services such as Amazon and Netflix.