fire-tv-2

Last Night The YouTube App Was Pulled From The Fire TV

Well, it looks like the YouTube app on the Fire TV was pulled early from the Fire TV. A few weeks ago Google announced plans to pull their YouTube app from the Fire TV on January 1st 2018. This is not the first time Google has pulled a YouTube app from an Amazon device. Earlier this year Google pulled the YouTube app from the Echo Show. Last week though the YouTube app returned to the Echo show but Google didn’t release that app it came from Amazon and Google didn’t learn about it until they saw it in the press according to TechCrunch.

Last night though if you opened the YouTube app on the Fire TV you found a screen offering to open YouTube on the FireFox or Silk browsers. We are not sure if Google or Amazon pulled the app early. It is very possible that Amazon did this to get a jump start on Googles plans to pull the YouTube app.

Update: If you have no browser installed it will still take you to the YouTube app. Yet come January 1st it will no longer offer that option.

Recently The Verge reported that a Google spokesperson has told them that they are in “productive discussions” with the hopes of reaching “an agreement for the benefit of our mutual customers.” Though as of today nothing has come from these talks.

Google has for some time offered limited versions of the YouTube app on the Fire TV. Google also left the Fire TV off the list of streaming players to be supported by YouTube TV in what is likely a continuation of their fight with Amazon. The lack of YouTube and YouTube TV will leave the Fire TV short a major app that other devices like Roku, Apple TV, and Android TV all offer. Hopefully Amazon and Google can work this issue out in the next few weeks.

Please follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more news, tips, and reviews.

Need cord cutting tech support? Join our Cord Cutting Tech Support Facebook Group for help.

Disclaimer: To address the growing use of ad blockers we use affiliate links to sites like Amazon.com and others. Affiliate links help sites like Cord Cutters News, LLC stay open. Affiliate links cost you nothing but help us support our families.

20 Responses to Last Night The YouTube App Was Pulled From The Fire TV

Darnell December 28, 2017 at 10:01 am #

Hey Luke, when you mention “Android TV”, you could link to the Amazon listing for Nvidia Shield, for some referral bucks. Amazon item# B01N1NT9Y6. Since the Shield is an Android TV device.

Adam December 28, 2017 at 10:35 am #

I think the Google vs. Amazon fight is so childish. They can mutually benefit one another if Google would just let Amazon have YouTube on the Fire TV and if Amazon would let Google sell chromecasts on Amazon. They’re both just cutting off their noses to spite their faces.

charles perry December 28, 2017 at 1:09 pm #

Well, the second option is already happening, but so far no quid pro quo from Google. At least Fire TV is giving us an option.

Rocksleeper December 28, 2017 at 4:53 pm #

I’m actually not seeing any chromecasts of “Google Home” products on Amazon…

Jared Cheeseman December 29, 2017 at 11:00 am #

i know

Cooper McChester December 28, 2017 at 10:40 am #

While these 2 toddlers fight it out go ahead and bypass the fight and do this for Youtube on Fire

Cooper McChester December 28, 2017 at 12:58 pm #

I use this app for youtube on firestick.. works great

stumpy579 December 28, 2017 at 1:16 pm #

I have been using Firefox on my Fire Tv for several days now. Works great for YouTube.

SanityChecker December 28, 2017 at 4:56 pm #

This war needs to come to an end but I prefer Roku anyway because it’s content agnostic. Most of the FireTV home page is pushing AMZ content.

Selden Deemer December 29, 2017 at 3:22 pm #

The primary purpose of all Amazon devices is to sell Amazon products. Everything else is secondary.

Lynnneez December 28, 2017 at 5:47 pm #

Yeah I don’t see Chromecast or Google home available on Amazon. Not a big deal for me as I could forego all Google products, including their biased search engine, but I cannot do without my Amazon services or devices.

Daniel Brown December 28, 2017 at 6:03 pm #

I’m too tied into Chrome for my browser with their whole saved account/bookmarks thing, LOVE being able to sign in anywhere and have my links… Anyway, easy to change your start page/search engine on Chrome too, I use Bing and Google’s own interchangeably… But I love my Amazon Prime/video, but don’t use either companies devices, I see no need for any of them when there is Roku and even I as techy guy couldn’t care less about Echo/Spot/Home things that don’t do anything my phone right in mind already does,.

Daniel Brown December 28, 2017 at 6:05 pm #

Can anyone give me a reason why anyone would buy Fire TV over a Roku? I’m genuinely curious as I can’t think of any… and I love my Prime and all that, but screw Amazon hardware that pushes their own stuff. I’m disappointed my mom got my son a Fire HD 10 tablet, can’t even install the software it needs without hacking it… sheesh..

Charles Cochran December 28, 2017 at 6:33 pm #

You can’t turn a Roku into a Kodi player. BTW, that is exactly and one hundred percent the only reason.

Daniel Brown December 28, 2017 at 7:13 pm #

Ah… and that would be for it’s “streams”, right? I’ve always just used Plex for downloaded content, and it has Roku app and I always have a Shield too if I really decide I want to do Kodi, which I might now that we are finally truly cutting the cord…

James Grayson December 29, 2017 at 3:43 pm #

And Plex runs better on my Roku 4 than it does on my Fire TV. I think Kodi is mainly for those who interested in illegal apps. Back to YouTube, why not install the two recommend browsers. They are both useful for others purposes than viewing YouTube. I cannot find a free workable browser on Roku.

Bitslice Byte January 2, 2018 at 12:47 am #

well firee stick is free for a short time if u get 2 months of sling and u don’t need an amazon prime account and it works w/hulu and cox cable sucks soooo

Michael Antifa Weed December 28, 2017 at 7:09 pm #

I had a FireTV stick, for a few hours and sent it back. Couldn’t stream MLB as well as my Roku XD, which MLB.tv stopped supporting via an update. But, I went right back to Roku with their quad-core stick and it runs great.

Jared Cheeseman December 29, 2017 at 12:15 pm #

this war does need to end

Selden Deemer December 29, 2017 at 3:20 pm #

I would never think of using the YouTube app on my Fire TV Stick because I have a Chromecast, which actually works without requiring a crappy remote.