Netflix’s recent parental control updates brings a number of new features to the streaming service, but perhaps the most notable is a new Profile Lock option that lets users assign a PIN code to individual accounts. This new feature adds a layer of protection and privacy, especially among households where multiple users take advantage of the service. While Netflix pitches the feature as a way for parents to keep kids from using adult profiles to gain access to mature content, the new PIN code works just as well for other family members, roommates, and more. Below, we walk you through how to enable this new feature.
- Step 1: Sign in Via Web Browser
- At the moment, enabling the new PIN option isn’t possible via mobile apps or on your TV. Instead, you’ll need a web browser to log into your Netflix profile.
- Step 2: With your profile signed in, click the icon in the upper-right corner and select “Account.”
- Step 3: Scroll down to Profile & Parental Controls and click the downward arrow by your profile icon.
- This reveals several account settings and options.
- Step 4: Scroll down to Profile Lock and click on “Change.”
- You might need to re-enter your account password at this point.
- Step 5: Check the box to require a PIN and input your desired code.
- Netflix currently doesn’t ask you to re-enter the code, so once is enough here.
- Step 6: Click Save to apply your changes.
At this point, you should see a padlock icon next to any profile with a PIN code enabled. And attempting to access those profiles results in the expected login request.
If you end up changing your mind and want to remove the PIN code, you can head to Profile & Parental Controls, select the Profile Lock option and uncheck the box. And again, you might need to re-enter your password to change the setting back.
Want to see this feature in action? Check out our video, below:
Have you enabled PIN codes on your Netflix accounts yet? If so, let us know what you think so far in the comments below!
Did you know we now have a FREE app for iOS, Android, and Amazon Fire? Click HERE to download our app.