house-of-cards-season-3-poster

Netflix Content Will Be 50% Original Programming by 2018

For some time now we have heard that Netflix plans to offer mostly original programming. Now we know when it will happen.

In the recent third-quarter earnings announcement yesterday, Netflix announced that by 2018 50 percent of their TV shows and movies will be Netflix original content. To reach this goal, Netflix plans to spend $8 billion on new content in an effort to build up their catalog.

Netflix has been facing growing headwinds from other services such as Hulu buying up the rights to many shows. Recently FOX has started to move all of their shows from Netflix to Hulu—a move that should be completed by the end of October 2017.

Disney also announced that they plan to pull their new movies from Netflix starting in 2018.

To fight back Netflix plans to make 80 new original films and 30 new anime series in 2018. (Netflix did not announce any numbers for other original shows.)

How exactly their subscribers will respond is something we will have to wait for. Will the original content attract more subscribers in a similar way to how HBO derives subscribers from their original programming or will subscribers become upset and walk away? For now, we will have to wait and see what happens.

Source: The Verge

43 Responses to Netflix Content Will Be 50% Original Programming by 2018

mr Dave October 18, 2017 at 7:16 am #

They are becoming a defacto studio. It’s a tough game, it takes a lot of money and you have to pick projects carefully and since Netflixs only has one money stream it’s even tougher for them. (ie they don’t get cable revenue, box office revenue, DVD sales, or advertising and licensing revenue. They are taking on huge amounts of debt that may eventually sink them. I’m hoping that in a few years a lot of these studio will realize their foli and come back to licensing to Netflixs.

Phuq_Me October 18, 2017 at 9:34 am #

I see Netflix shows on DVD for sale at wal-mart

mr Dave October 18, 2017 at 10:00 am #

Really? I looked next time I go.

TaiPeng October 18, 2017 at 12:22 pm #

The bargin bin? Ha ha.

Patrick Martin October 18, 2017 at 3:19 pm #

Goodwill is another good place to find older movies & TV show. Here they are $3 each, so not bad.

TaiPeng October 18, 2017 at 12:22 pm #

I don’t like businesses that rebrand but keep their old name. MTV has no music on it either. Netflix has no movies.

Bowserb October 23, 2017 at 8:33 am #

Streaming is a little like 1950’s TV. Everyone from content creators to streaming services to consumers are not sure what comes next. The endless westerns and panel shows of the 50’s faded away, and TV from 1965-1970 changed into X-Files and Twin Peaks, then 30-something sitcoms. Then on streaming we had all the movie eras and all the TV eras, so we could watch only what worked (according to IMDB anyway). Now my time is too valuable to spend trying out one Netflix experiment after another. Same with network TV. Not going to risk wasting my time until I know it’s good. Ten years from now, we might be asking, “Remember Netflix?”

TV Barrington October 18, 2017 at 8:25 am #

Although I can understand and appreciate where some some may like Netflix, I have increasingly found with each year where Netflix isn’t as important to me. Netflix currently does have a few interesting shows, but with me cutting the cord and more streaming services out there, I have to constantly decide which streaming services are ones I will pay my money to watch on a regular basis. I don’t want to be a streaming collector for services that I don’t watch, but continue to pay for, and I’m finding that I’m not actually watching Netflix a lot anymore, and it’s especially true when the Fall TV season comes on.

Speaking only for myself, I find that of the streaming services that I have, I probably watch either Sling and Hulu the most, with Amazon being a distant third, and the only reason that I have Amazon Prime is because I shop Amazon on a regular basis.

I will never be one of those people that may say that I will never watch a certain streaming service, so I suppose that if there is a lull period on broadcast TV, and I can’t find something on Sling, Hulu, or Amazon, I could see where I could be a subscriber on a temporary basis. Anyway, I suppose what I am saying is that I feel that Netflix was an important service years ago that helped the demise of Blockbuster (Redbox helped too), but with so many services out there competing for consumer dollars, Netflix could fall. I can also see a possible day where there will be so much streaming competition to where certain services could be gobbled up or merge to help make a stronger one, and unless Netflix can pull a rabbit out of their hat, Netflix could be seen as a failing company at some point in the future.

MacHead84 October 18, 2017 at 8:54 am #

Havent had netflix in almost a year….I dont find their library good enough

Phuq_Me October 18, 2017 at 12:54 pm #

curious who do you knwo what their library currently is if you haven’t had it in a year?

MacHead84 October 18, 2017 at 1:16 pm #

One…it really doesnt change much and two, sites like this post the arrival and departure information

Vegas Steve October 18, 2017 at 1:39 pm #

The other way to look is to get the app, Upflix. They track the Netflix additions.

Phuq_Me October 18, 2017 at 9:34 am #

If that is true then 90% of what on Netflix now will go away. Sorry at that point I can’t see paying $15 a month for it. at that point any Netflix content I’m interested in it I’ll just sign up for a month and binge watch then cancel for another year.

TaiPeng October 18, 2017 at 12:23 pm #

Like I do with HBO.

Phuq_Me October 18, 2017 at 12:53 pm #

well I like Real Time and Last Week tonight so I keep HBO

Vegas Steve October 18, 2017 at 1:38 pm #

Nothing wrong with that, and it’s actually what’s nice about the current services. While not true ala carte, it sure is better than getting jammed for way more channels than you watch for a crazy high price (looking at you, cable/sat).

Patrick Martin October 18, 2017 at 3:17 pm #

The same reason I keep HBO. However, I am seeing Real Time posted to You Tube more often. Of course Over Time. I still get Netflix discs and I like the old shows are not offered streaming. How long will Netflix offer the discs? Hopefully for some time, as their streaming service, which I dropped as they had little of the classic TV shows for streaming.

Phuq_Me October 18, 2017 at 4:06 pm #

I think Hulu is probably the place to go for old TV shows now

Vegas Steve October 18, 2017 at 1:37 pm #

Yep, exactly what I do with Netflix. I sub for a month a couple times a year, binge watch and then ‘seeya’.

Spencer Karter October 18, 2017 at 9:48 am #

Still waiting on the fate of NETFLIX’s DEGRASSI: NEXT CLASS on NETFLIX. I hope they have Season 5 if God’s willing.

Fred Koot October 18, 2017 at 10:54 am #

I think they will be just fine. Over seas business is doing great.They also have a lot of shows like The fall and Trailer park boys which they co produce

TaiPeng October 18, 2017 at 12:20 pm #

Netfllix is not the future of TV. Netflix is when they killed TV in 1999 with reality TV. Cheap content of questionable content that nobody wants. Everybody with a phone can create content but that does not make it quality content worth paying for. They are YouTube Red not HBO. Far from it.

Patrick Martin October 18, 2017 at 3:21 pm #

I wish there was a service like Netflix that just offered the older material of TV shows & Movies. There are a lot of us older folk that enjoy seeing a movie out of the 40s through the 70s or a TV show.

TexMarque October 18, 2017 at 5:33 pm #

You might try your local library. Mine has a ton of that stuff and I wonder why they keep buying it. The wife and I grew up on that junk and could care less to see it again. There are a lot of nostalgic TV channels on the air and we don’t watch them either.
        PS, if you do want to watch it, record it so you can fast forward thru the commercials. We do this for prime time shows.

Patrick Martin October 19, 2017 at 2:17 pm #

I am pretty much a collector of older TV shows I watched as a kid. Some I wonder why I ever watched them, seeing them 40-50 years later. Others I still like. Our library is small so the DVD selection is not great. In fact I have donated VHS tapes and DVDs to them to give them better selection.

TexMarque October 19, 2017 at 3:54 pm #

Seeing your latest comment above, I’m glad that DVD.com works for you. I wasn’t sure how large their catalogue is.

Patrick Martin October 19, 2017 at 5:48 pm #

Netflix is not too bad. But I feel since they are old shows, Netflix does not always replace broken discs. They become not available, so Netflix puts the majority of their money into new material. There are services like Warner Archive Streaming that also has some old shows.

nimbyyg October 19, 2017 at 10:31 pm #

I think people watched them because that’s all there was all those years ago.

Patrick Martin October 19, 2017 at 11:21 pm #

Yes, Much of the time living in AK, we either had no TV stations, one, or on occasion two. Anchorage had two TV stations for years Ch 2 ABC/NBC and 11 that was CBS. In Seward, for years we had no TV, then finally a translator that brought in ch 2 ABC/NBC. Now with Dish and streaming, most everything is available somewhere.

Bowserb October 23, 2017 at 8:14 am #

Agreed, Patrick. I guess part of the appeal back then was that TV was still pretty new, and so the novelty of seeing a program without having to go to a movie theater was enough. Where we lived, there was one TV station, then later two, and that was it. No cable TV in that city.

TexMarque October 18, 2017 at 5:29 pm #

Netflix will do just fine. I don’t know what Disney or Fox is paid for their reruns; but that just leaves Netflix to concentrate on new, quality shows and movies. My household doesn’t watch the Fox or Disney stuff. We all are pretty impressed with the Netflix Originals. The antenna in the attic gets us all the local broadcast stations which have some quality shows. We really don’t have the time to watch everything.

Mike Thaler October 19, 2017 at 7:58 am #

Netflix made sense when they rented DVDs of first run movies 6 -12 months after they came out. Then we subscribed to streaming. Then realized last year they no longer carry first run movies. Cancelled.

Question – Does any channel/service carry recent first run movies? In early days of cable, both HBO and SHO did that.

RubberBoloney October 19, 2017 at 12:32 pm #

In adding 50-50 content they will become just another pay cable tv service. 50-50 now then 60-40 then 70-30. They’ll make you pay to watch their content with a small sample of programming from outside their studio. That’s not what I personally watch, so at that point I’ll be finished with them,.

Patrick Martin October 19, 2017 at 2:13 pm #

When Netflix quit renting the discs so the old shows are no longer available, I will drop Netflix.

TexMarque October 19, 2017 at 4:05 pm #

That strategy of owning and streaming one’s own stuff is the norm for HBO, Hallmark, Lionsgate, HULU, CBS, Showtime, etc and soon Disney.

Even if Netflix is showing the bulk of their own catalogue, The reality is that licensed content going to any competing service is getting more difficult by the day. The marketplace should fix this by putting losses on the weaker ones so that those will drop out of self-streaming and licensing their content if they want to monetize it. The OTT market is getting pretty crowded, I just can’t see that many consumers having 3 or more services every month for a year. HBO is now saying that they are bringing some European and Asian content to the US for the first time; this is an admission that their current catalogue is pretty thin.

Bowserb October 24, 2017 at 6:23 am #

A common complaint about cable and satellite services is that one is forced to pay for 50 unwanted channels for each one wanted. A la carte is what we’ve wanted for a long time. This may be the next step in TV evolution. Hallmark now, next Discovery et al, then AMC, and so on. The price for single channels becomes quickly prohibitive for, say, ten channels. Yet selling a single channel for what it’s worth, is not cost effective for that channel.

The next logical step is a new kind of middleman, selling packages. Ten channels for $10 a month, twenty for $15, and so on. Key is, though, that the ten or twenty channels MUST be ten or twenty that I select, not the seller. That’s where Sling TV fails for me. They call it a la carte, but it isn’t. It’s just smaller packages. Sooner or later, true a la carte will come.

Patrick Martin October 24, 2017 at 9:18 pm #

The issue with complete ala carte is that the corps that own the channels want to sell them in a package rather that separately. That way even the less popular channels are still sold. Charlie Ergan CEO at Dish stated over 10 years ago that he would love to sell ala carte, but companies like ABC Disney and Viacom would never allow it. Streaming may change that.

Bowserb October 25, 2017 at 6:33 am #

How people watch TV is changing. Streaming and the continued proliferation of digital broadcast channels are part of the change. Pay TV is expected to finish 2017 with a 3.3% decline and be followed next year with a 4% drop in revenue. From the peak in 2012 with 103 million subscribers, the industry is expected to end 2017 with 96 million and 2018 with 92.1 million. 11.5% drop in customers would hurt any industry, and I can see consolidation and bankruptcies on the horizon. The traditional cable/satellite TV business model may not work much longer.

In our house, since we eliminated Pay TV, I do miss the edu-tainment channels that featured science, history, and nature. I also miss 24/7 availability of news. In truth, though, I don’t think we’re missing as much as we’re gaining. After work, my wife and I used to turn on one of the cable news channels with a glass of wine. Now, we still have the wine, but the TV is off, and we talk.

Patrick Martin October 25, 2017 at 10:42 pm #

I still have Dish as our charter internet is not always 100%. There are periods when they are down. It may always be the case out here in the more rural areas, but streaming does add a lot of options not available with Dish.

Bowserb October 23, 2017 at 8:19 am #

Not impressed with Neflix original shows. Even their big hit House of Cards got old and tiresome halfway through the second season–at least for us. Their stuff is a long way from HBO and AMC. Mad Men, Breaking Bad…Netflix has a long way to go. If what they have now will be 70% of their list in 2018, then that may be the year we drop Netflix. If you have the patience to search, Amazon Prime includes a lot of licensed and even hard to find stuff. As a fan of 50’s Sci Fi, I’ve found quite a few low budget and rare films at Amazon…but it wasn’t easy. Key to Amazon is selecting something you like, then the “customers also watched” will find more.

Patrick Martin October 24, 2017 at 3:09 am #

With so many baby boomers out there, diginets like METV, COZI, Heroes & Icons, Decades, run the old shows, I would think some streaming service would capture that audience. Warner Archive is good but doesn’t have enough variety.