Kimmy
We may earn a commission from purchases through links on our site. You can learn more here.

Netflix is Testing Unskippable Trailers When You Launch Netflix

For years Netflix has been testing ways to get you to watch trailers for their originals, from post-roll trailers at the end of seasons to pre-rolls. They have even tried putting auto play trailers at the top of their menus.

Now, it looks like Netflix is testing unskippable trailers that open full screen as soon as you launch the app. Cord Cutters News has received reports that when you launch Netflix apps on some devices, including Roku players a short 10 second ad will play. These ads are for Netflix original shows and are unavoidable, no way to fast forward or skip over them.

This is not the only test Netflix is currently running in order to put trailers for their originals in front of viewers. Recently, Netflix also started testing pre-roll trailers once again on their shows. If you looked at a Netflix original you will likely also be shown a preview for a different Netflix show.

It seems that Netflix is doing their best to get you to watch more Netflix originals, likely in an effort to justify the cost behind these originals.

Cord Cutters News has reached out to Netflix for comment and will update this story when we learn more.

So, what do you think? What is your opinion on viewing Netflix new 10 second unskippable trailers when you launch the app? Leave us a comment and let us know what you think.

Disclaimer: To address the growing use of ad blockers we now use affiliate links to sites like Amazon.com, streaming services, and others. Affiliate links help sites like Cord Cutters News, LLC stay open. Affiliate links cost you nothing but help me support my family. We do not allow paid reviews on this site. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

16 Responses to Netflix is Testing Unskippable Trailers When You Launch Netflix

AstroMonster June 28, 2017 at 3:35 pm #

I will cancel Netflix the second they force an add on me for simply opening the app. I can deal with a promo for another show at the beginning of a show, but not when I first open the app.

Screw that

lonnie June 28, 2017 at 3:35 pm #

Glad I just dropped Netflix for Hulu. It might be only 10 seconds and most people it probably won’t bother but I think i would find it annoying.

David Batten June 28, 2017 at 3:50 pm #

I think the wording in the above article should read… It seems that Netflix is doing their best to PISS OFF THEIR CUSTOMER BASE WHILE trying to get you to watch more Netflix originals

SpideyRules June 28, 2017 at 4:53 pm #

This is pretty lame, even though it won’t affect me at all. I can’t think of a single time I ever started up Netflix without walking away while it takes time to start up.

mnsportsgeek June 29, 2017 at 11:38 am #

Waiting for Netflix to start up? Must be some underpowered roku device.

SpideyRules June 29, 2017 at 12:02 pm #

Or my smartTV, or on a PS4, or literally ANY device, as every app on any device takes time to lag. Could be 5 minutes, could be 5 seconds. Point is, that load-up time exists on every single device…Roku included.

deguello June 28, 2017 at 5:59 pm #

FTS.

chjode June 28, 2017 at 6:33 pm #

Do they want to lose customers? Because this is how you lose customers.

Chris K. June 28, 2017 at 6:38 pm #

Between that and the current nightmare that is Autoplay – I think it’s time to move on from Netflix.

SteveParadis June 28, 2017 at 10:08 pm #

As it is now, I watch more shows on YouTube than Netflix. That would be the last straw. While looking for a way to disable the autoad that shrinks the end credits, I found a bragging piece by the guy who wrote the algorithm for it. I’m a better person than the one whose first impulse to post his info and make him infamous.
    Who in hell is running that place?

Sean Berends June 28, 2017 at 11:01 pm #

Meh

GersonT1000 June 29, 2017 at 8:29 am #

I hate this idea. But if they do go with it, they better make it after picking the profile. I don’t want my child exposed to some of the disgusting programming on Netflix when they open the app. There must be some of parental controls, but even better, they shouldn’t go forward with this at all.

GersonT1000 June 29, 2017 at 8:31 am #

If it wasn’t for the fact that my child watches a lot of shows on it, I would have no problem leaving Netflix despite being with them since the beginning. They are making some really stupid decisions lately.

Greg Pendleton June 29, 2017 at 9:07 am #

yet another reason to drop netflix

Keith Horn June 29, 2017 at 12:01 pm #

I dumped Netflix over poor ORIGINAL content and the change to the rating system. Let me tell you where Netflix can stick their thumbs. Life is fine without Netflix.

88cooper July 3, 2017 at 4:29 pm #

What’s next, obnoxious used car ads, and doubly obnoxious “ambulance chasers” running ads right behind them too? This isexactly why so many of us left TV to begin with.