Channel Surfing Man

New Details on DIRECTV NOW’s DVR Beta & How You Could Be Selected For The Beta

Channel Surfing Man

A few weeks ago DIRECTV NOW made several announcements including plans to release a new app along with 4K support; however, the biggest news was AT&T’s plans to add a DVR to DIRECTV NOW.

AT&T said it would start the DVR beta this summer with a handful of testers and it would go public in the fall. Last week we started to hear from readers that they received an invitation to the beta. Now we have new details about the beta.

Thanks to two readers we can now confirm that a second batch of invites went out and a few details about how you become a member of the beta.

First, as expected, you need DIRECTV NOW. Second, you must also have an AT&T service because the beta uses your AT&T login. It seems that the beta will use a special app that only accepts AT&T user accounts.

According to the two beta testers we talked to the AT&T service they used was an AT&T wireless phone plan or an AT&T home internet account. We are not sure what other types of AT&T accounts will get you in but we can confirm these two right now.

The following is from the email AT&T is sending subscribers:

Here is the text from the second half of the email:

How do I sign up?
Easy. Click below and follow the instructions to throw your hat into the ring for a chance to participate. Spots are limited and we’ll be selecting participants soon.

Just getting this email does not guarantee you a spot. There is one more survey that asks what devices you would like to test the DVR on. Right now, it is asking for DVR beta testers who have an iOS device, Apple TV, Fire TV, or Chrome. (Note: It is possible not all of these are currently being tested but have beta tests planned for them.)

We can also confirm that this beta app is a totally new app. By the sounds of it this is the new DIRECTV NOW app we heard is on the way. Beta testers are being told they will still have access to the old DIRECTV NOW app also.

Here is what the signup page looks like:

That is as far as we could get as the bet seems to be locked to select AT&T account.Make sure to check your email if you are a DIRECTV NOW subscriber. If you missed out on this round, keep checking your email because it is likely more invites will go out.

Update: A reader sent us this image of the device selection page:

If you miss out on the beta, don’t worry. It will go public to all DIRECTV NOW subscribers this fall.

16 Responses to New Details on DIRECTV NOW’s DVR Beta & How You Could Be Selected For The Beta

1. Tl August 4, 2017 at 7:14 am #

Roku????

• Nathan John Ganiere August 4, 2017 at 7:17 am #

hate to say it but ROKU will be the last one in the dark that will see this update, always the last one on these services to be supported……….

• icwhatudidthere August 4, 2017 at 4:11 pm #

My guess is that honor goes to Android TV.

2. JGaLaXY August 4, 2017 at 8:27 am #

ahhhh will this makes sense since I’m on T-Mobile

3. AKarba August 4, 2017 at 9:00 am #

I still haven’t heard from Directv Now on LeEco app not working for past month.
    Their service department is as expected a joke, always talking about Chromecast and casting and saying LeEco isn’t supported. It appears they never plan to support Android TV. With two Nvidia Shields, one LeEco and forced to use that POS Apple TV box.. they really know how to be the company you hate to deal with.

4. NCAviator August 4, 2017 at 9:22 am #

I don’t understand the AT&T account thing. All DirecTV Now users have an account. We have to log in with it when we use the service. Why in the world would AT&T develop a new service that uses a different account? How does that even work? Do you have to log in to two accounts to use the DirecTV Now and then the DVR?
    Truth to tell, we also have an AT&T FORUM account that we have to use to get to their forum and ask questions. Most of course go unanswered.

I was getting hopeful that AT&T was getting their act together. They recently added an ABC Local to my service WLOS ABC Asheville. I was hopeful that the others would be added soon. Then if DVR service; I would use them and drop Playstation Vue.

• mau47 August 4, 2017 at 10:27 am #

They said when they announced the new platform they are going to be using the same platform for all of their streaming pieces (Satellite streaming app, DTVN etc). So my guess is they are moving to a single login system across all of the services you have and it makes more sense to do that with an AT&T account than DirecTV Now since DTVN is probably their smallest user pool out of everything.

5. HazarJast August 4, 2017 at 9:39 am #

Um, unless you can show me where AT&T explicitly promised *all* DTVN subscribers will eventually get this DVR service I hardly believe that will be the case given this AT&T account requirement in the beta. This sounds like classic AT&T to me: make people bundle other services to get a perk. I have been keeping my DTVN account active since day one as they lured me with the promise of cloud DVR but it really looks like it’s going to be a bait and switch. No way in hell I’m signing up for their crappy DSL or overpriced cellular service just to get DVR functionality.

• mau47 August 4, 2017 at 10:24 am #

My guess is since they said they will be sharing a single platform across all services (Satellite, now etc.) they are just going to be pushing people to use an AT&T account instead of a separate DirecTV Now specific login.

• Corinne August 4, 2017 at 12:08 pm #

Why is your assumption more likely than the opposite assumption. Why freak out before you know the facts?

• Joanne Stanton August 7, 2017 at 6:45 am #

My assumption is based on my past knowledge and experience with ATT. I DO know the facts.

6. tbird2252 August 4, 2017 at 12:56 pm #

I am on the original $35 plan from last December. Hope they will leave in place but knowing ATT expect it to end soon.

7. Chad N Karla Wright August 5, 2017 at 6:40 pm #

Ahh another AT&T exclusivity agreement, a.k.a. iPhone. Just one of many reasons I’m not a customer…

8. Joanne Stanton August 7, 2017 at 6:36 am #

No Roku DVR…No me!

9. ROB August 7, 2017 at 7:59 pm #

Got mine today… Thanks for the heads-up

10. Reggie Suplido August 7, 2017 at 8:20 pm #

Got my invite as well today.