New Details on Verizon’s Live TV Streaming Service

Online movie stream with mobile device. Man watching film on tablet with imaginary video player service.For months now, we have heard about how Verizon is working on a live TV streaming service to take on DIRECTV NOW, Sling TV, and others. The service has been pushed back a few times and now is reportedly looking for a  spring or summer 2018 launch.

Yesterday TechCrunch announced a long list of new details including the delay having to do with executive changes at Verizon.

According to TechCrunch Verizon will offer channels that would be built around themes like news, sports, and entertainment. The content will come from Oath properties like TechCrunch, Engadget, Huffington Post, and premium content from third-party sources.

The source who talked with TechCrunch said Verizon has invested between $4 billion and $5 billion in content deals for their new live TV streaming service.

The question now is what live TV channels will be included. For upwards of $5 billion, Verizon could be building a very nice live TV service with their original content added on asana extra perk. Sadly the TechCrunch story had no details on any channels that have signed up for the Verizon OTT service.

Strangely nothing has leaked from potential partners like Disney, FOX, CBS, NBCUniversal, and more. So we will have to wait and see what the service will offer.

Need cord cutting tech support? Join our Cord Cutting Tech Support Facebook Group for help.

31 Responses to New Details on Verizon’s Live TV Streaming Service

1. TheWallyChamp January 12, 2018 at 10:28 am #

Dude… Typos abound.

2. Cooper McChester January 12, 2018 at 10:42 am #

I just wish someone would come out with ala-carte Tv.. What one considers e”entertainment” another considers it trash. People who watch cable news only want the one cable news channel that pitches towards their bias while they throw rocks at the other channel that pitches away fom their bias.I only watch business news and most people do not want to watch that. All in all, I could get all I want out of 20 channels

• Rocksleeper January 12, 2018 at 10:53 am #

Ala-carte would be incredibly expensive. 20 channels ala-carte would probably cost you about $100 a month.

Almost all channels are owned by massive media content companies (Viacom, Scripps, Discovery, etc..). These companies sell their content to cable/streaming providers at a bundeled discount with whatver contract they negotiate. The cable/streaming providers then usually have to provide at least two channels from that company in their packages to keep the heavily discounted bundled price. This is how the channels are negotiated to a a cheaper price.

Ala-carte would looke more like CBS All-Access and HBO GO. If consumers could just buy one channel…then there is no need to have the middle-man of a cable company. They would just got to Viacom and buy Comedy, and then NBC Universal to buy SYFY, and then Discover to buy TLC, and then Scripps to buy HGTV. And these companies would sell these channels at a prices of $5-$15 a channel depending if it was in high demand and a premium. So 20 channels would be around $100+ for you.

• Cooper McChester January 12, 2018 at 11:06 am #

I guees I will stick to Hulu on demand and OTA and watch my business channel via a web browser, I refuse to subsidise crap I don’t want.

• TechSupport January 12, 2018 at 11:18 am #

I would rather pay $50 a month for a service that I use rather than $10/month for service I don’t use. I have tried Hulu multiple times in the past and it just isn’t worth my time. I am sure it is good enough for others but not me.

• Cooper McChester January 12, 2018 at 12:03 pm #

I use Hulu pretty much everyday so fit that second half of your description. The channel I watch the most can be found live on a web web browser adn Hulu and OTA fill in the rest. Could I get some extra content for the 40 extra bucks.. yes but “for me” it is not worth it.. I do also subscribe to curiosit stream for 3 bucks a month.

• TechSupport January 12, 2018 at 12:08 pm #

I try not to criticize people for using their preferred service. The best product is the one that works for YOU. So many people on here seem to get offended if someone doesn’t love what they love. It is almost an illness. Seems like some people need that reassurance that everyone agrees with them or there is something missing from their life. We don’t have to agree. There are so many services out there and so many types of people. In spite of all the broken promises this is a good time for tv service. The landscape is changing almost on a daily basis.

• Cooper McChester January 12, 2018 at 1:17 pm #

What you said!!!!!!!! !!!!!! !!!

• bellsfolly January 12, 2018 at 7:33 pm #

Well said! It gets old with people basically sniping each other over which service is “better”. The one that has the line-up closest to what you want, and the features that you want, and streams well without buffering…choose that, and be happy (for now). That’s the great thing about this whole scenario…up til recently, where I live, I had ONE choice: satellite tv, if I wanted cable channels. I had DTV for 15 years, enduring hikes etc. No real complaints about the quality or channel selection. But cut that coax cord 2 years ago, and have never been happier.

• Fred Koot January 12, 2018 at 10:57 am #

Not per channel, but you might see per network owned and it won’t be cheap. You want Tbs and Tnt you will have to pay for CNN. You want History, you will have to pay for [email protected], Lifetime and BBC America. You want Discovery, you will have to pay for Animal planet and Travel channel. Soon if you want FX you will have to pay for Disney.

• Malignar January 13, 2018 at 10:08 am #

This is what will end up happening. Price is not the ultimate determining factor for myself so sorta kinda a la carte would be great imo. The problem is that each streaming service has some serious downfalls atm. I think in another 6 months many of the serious downfalls will be worked out. I welcome more streaming options.

• Me January 12, 2018 at 4:34 pm #

@coopermcchester:disqus You do get most channels are not independently owned. If al a carte happened your 20 channels wouldn’t be any cheaper than what you pay now. I wish people would get that. Content owners will not take LESS money. PERIOD.

• Cooper McChester January 12, 2018 at 4:36 pm #

I know.. It was just a wish.

• georgeshiflett January 15, 2018 at 10:14 am #

u are real close they’re , Ala cart TV would be great but Ala cart to the point of getting 10 channels per block , most people only watch about 10 channels consistently, now if u charge for a 10 Chanel block and allow people to pick the 10 channels of their choice and pay for those 10 channels that would be great and u can buy all the channels you want in 10 Chanel blocks , , right now say u buy a subscription to DTV NOW , say u buy the go big package how many of those channels do u watch u pay say 60 bucks for what a bunch of channels u don’t watch, why not just sell me the channels i do watch and not what u want to stick me with , the people that put that together will clean up with cord cutters

3. TechSupport January 12, 2018 at 11:15 am #

Until it is released there is no reason to even waste our breath. I am sick of waiting for vaporware like this service and the ever elusive DTVN DVR service that has been promised multiple times with those deadlines coming and going with no such service.

• Rocksleeper January 12, 2018 at 11:23 am #

Along with YouTube TV saying they would release an app for Roku and Apple TV by the end of 2017…

No one can seem to keep a deadline. They say they will now release it “early 2018”.

No pointe in getting your hopes up for anything in the streaming world.

• TechSupport January 12, 2018 at 11:29 am #

That is for sure. I love PS Vue but they are missing some important channels and their Roku is horrid and was only made worse with the latest update.

• Suny January 12, 2018 at 12:29 pm #

Really? How so? DH hasn’t complained about it at all, in fact he’s still thrilled about the switch from DirecTV to PS Vue and our new Roku. No stalls, buffering or anything, yet…
          When did this new problem causing update roll out?

• TechSupport January 12, 2018 at 12:48 pm #

I got it about a month ago. I have been using PS Vue for over a year on both Amazon Fire TV and a RokuTV. The apps have always worked different which I guess is what it is but when I tried DTVN the Amazon experience was exactly the same as the ROKU experience. With the update now the Roku TV is slower than before and I still cant view live tv while scrolling other channels. I am not complaining about the streaming itself I am complaining about the browsing of channels and interface.

• Danny Hensley January 12, 2018 at 1:23 pm #

I agree about the RokuTV…it is slower but we have a Roku express box on our tv in the living room and it’s much faster…and the express let’s you watch live while scrolling through the channel guide. I don’t think I will buy another Roku tv

• TechSupport January 12, 2018 at 1:29 pm #

No I definitely wont buy another Roku TV either. I am considering getting a firestick to put into my Roku TV. Sad that I would have to spend extra money but might have to. I would gladly switch to DTVN if they could figure out how to build a DVR.

• Wambie January 12, 2018 at 1:43 pm #

My express does not let me do that. I wonder what’s different?

• Suny January 12, 2018 at 2:53 pm #

Ahhh, you have the Roku TV or TCL.
            I assumed you were talking about the new Roku Ultra like I have …sorry.

• TechSupport January 12, 2018 at 3:06 pm #

Correct. Will never do that again. What gets me though is that DTVN seams to have figured out how to make the interface exactly uniform across FireTV and Roku. One of my other complaints is that the right arrow button the Roku remote no longer works the way it did before the 8.0 update and PS Vue update. I use to be able to hold the right arrow button and have it quickly and easily scan ahead 2 or 3 minutes past commercials. Now I have to use the actual FF (>>) and that is a lot more difficult to get the time right because the time is small and it isn’t as smooth as using the right arrow button. Did that change for you or is that another variance on the Roku TV/PS Vue app?

• Suny January 12, 2018 at 4:43 pm #

Will ask DH, he’s the one who uses everything the most. It’s still so new to me that I’m not sure if I would even notice a change. He hasn’t said anything about changes, that’s why I asked you.

• Wambie January 12, 2018 at 1:40 pm #

Agreed

4. RT Barshaw January 12, 2018 at 12:30 pm #

So them your news is that you have no news?

5. Fred Koot January 12, 2018 at 1:49 pm #

The more the merrier. looking for Time warner, Discovery, Fox(Unlikely now Disney is buying them),Amc, Nbc universal, For around$20. Eventually someone will have it.

6. Mark D January 12, 2018 at 2:26 pm #

Philo $16 works fine.

• Me January 12, 2018 at 4:37 pm #

for many yes. but if one wants say TNT or TBS or USA( and no not for sports ) then you’re out of luck.

7. bellsfolly January 13, 2018 at 5:59 pm #

Bring it! And for that matter, when is the mysterious Vidgo ever going to happen?