We may earn a commission from purchases through links on our site. You can learn more here.

The New OTA TV 3.0 Standard With 4K is Now Official

Cheerful couple cuddling and sitting on the couch watching tv at home in the living roomYesterday at CES Advanced Television Systems Committee (ATSC) today commemorated the achievement of a major milestone in TV history the official standards for OTA 3.0 TV.

Marking the milestone today at CES, ATSC President Mark Richer was joined onstage by Consumer Technology Association President and CEO Gary Shapiro, National Association of Broadcasters President and CEO Gordon Smith.

“Our suite of ATSC 3.0 standards paves the way for a new kind of television service, one that is far more flexible and adaptable than previous standards.  ATSC 3.0 will bring historic innovations to broadcasters and to viewers, from robust transmission to immersive audio, and from 4K Ultra-HDTV to interactive services and more.  The 20 individual standards that comprise the release of ATSC 3.0 will give broadcasters the ability to utilize new transmission methods and finally bring together innovations in both over-the-air and broadband services,” said ATSC President Mark Richer.

“ATSC looks forward to continuing work on the standard, including its deployment in initial markets and future enhancements.  We remain uniquely positioned to support the first trial launches of ATSC 3.0 services and products beginning this year.  In addition to our ongoing standards work, the ATSC has a very important role in educating stakeholders about how the technology works and assisting in implementation planning in the U.S. and other parts of the world,” Richer said.

“Going forward, I see the ATSC as an important information center for broadcasters and manufacturers preparing to launch services and products,” said ATSC Board Chairman Richard Friedel, Executive Vice President and General Manager for FOX Networks Engineering & Operations. “That means exciting opportunities for our members to get engaged in field testing, broadcast trials and plug-fests this year.  There will also be opportunities to contribute to important new work on conformance and compliance, privacy and security, and more.”

Need cord cutting tech support? Join our Cord Cutting Tech Support Facebook Group for help.

Disclaimer: To address the growing use of ad blockers we now use affiliate links to sites like Amazon.com, streaming services, and others. Affiliate links help sites like Cord Cutters News, LLC stay open. Affiliate links cost you nothing but help me support my family. We do not allow paid reviews on this site. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

30 Responses to The New OTA TV 3.0 Standard With 4K is Now Official

Joe Siegler January 10, 2018 at 2:51 pm #

Gah, guess it will be time for a new TiVo box.

Teddy G January 10, 2018 at 4:49 pm #

this might help in the meantime.

Cooper McChester January 10, 2018 at 5:29 pm #

I am going to wait til my Roamio dies..Although I more than made up or my original investment, I will be patient in replacing my electronics. I learned my lesson. 1 year after I bought my 55 inch 4K tv, they came out with HDR… sigh

Teddy G January 10, 2018 at 7:04 pm #

same here too. But most of those people who bought new HDR sets don’t really have good HDR because those early TV sets were older panels with HDR decoder. Seems to really appreciate HDR you need a panel with 1,000 nits or higher brightness and most panels now have 300-400 nits. Version 1.0 always suck anyway. Better to wait until they work out all of the problems with new tech.

Marc H January 11, 2018 at 3:47 am #

I keep waiting and they keep adding some new technology. I may just wait until my TV goes out.

Teddy G January 11, 2018 at 10:02 am #

I’ll wait too. I can’t afford to replace a $3,000 tv set every two years. Now they are talking about AC-4, MPG-H, Dolby Atmos, Dolby Vision, HDR10 etc. I think they are confusing the heck out of the consumer right now.

Vegas Steve January 11, 2018 at 10:54 pm #

And don’t forget about the always changing (and ultra restrictive) HDCP standards. Broke my receiver for HDMI pass thru. Now I have to run directly to my set and run optical out to my receiver. Which I will continue to do… screw ’em and their crazy standards.

Cooper McChester January 12, 2018 at 6:26 am #

It’s the Apple business model.. Hey remember that ultra state of the art phone you bought 2 years ago, yeah that thing is a piece of crap and we have a new ultra state of the art phone for you to buy.

Cooper McChester January 11, 2018 at 11:23 am #

THANK YOU.. I love when people give me actual good information. I never knew about Mits and now that I know that 1000 is a good starting point, that is what I will be looking for.

Vegas Steve January 11, 2018 at 10:53 pm #

I have to agree with you there… except ONE year after I bought my 60 inch 4K tv they came out with HDR.

Arnie K. January 10, 2018 at 3:03 pm #

What new equipment is this going to require?

mnsportsgeek January 10, 2018 at 3:51 pm #

An ATSC 3.0 tuner and a 4K TV.

Teddy G January 10, 2018 at 4:46 pm #

probably a new set top box with an ATSC 3.0 tuner, just like the ones the gov’t subsidized during the digital conversion a few years ago. I wonder if the gov’t will subsidized new ones again or the consumer will have to fork over the full cost.

TexMarque January 10, 2018 at 5:06 pm #

Unlikely to be subsidized because there is no mandatory cut-over to 3.0 and the current standard will be broadcast for 5 years. Chances are, many will buy new TVs that will include both 3.0 & 2.0 tuners.

Kravimir January 10, 2018 at 6:37 pm #

“2.0”? Technically, ATSC 1.0 is what is currently in use. Before that NTSC was used in the US.

Me January 11, 2018 at 1:53 am #

And the 5 year clock doesn’t start until a station start broadcasting in ATSC 3.0

Scott Blanchard January 10, 2018 at 6:07 pm #

Will only require a device or TV that has an ATSC 3.0 compatible tuner onboard. No changes in antenna’s are required – existing antennas work fine.

Fred Koot January 10, 2018 at 3:55 pm #

Immersive audio=lossless?

Teddy G January 10, 2018 at 4:44 pm #

they probably mean better surround sound. kinda hard to tell because the article above doesn’t really say anything useful.

JJB1310 January 10, 2018 at 11:18 pm #

I was thinking the same thing. This was not written to be understood by the general public.

Chris H January 11, 2018 at 9:00 am #

ATSC 3.0 supports Dolby AC-4 and MPEG-H 3D Audio. These standards allow the sounds to be “objects” that exist in a 3D space. The audio will be able to more fully surround the listener.

Teddy G January 11, 2018 at 9:58 am #

Is Dolby AC-4 and Dolby Atmos the same thing? if not, what are the differences? They both seem to use objects but this stuff is getting confusing.

Teddy G January 10, 2018 at 5:14 pm #

I found this. Just a little bit more info on what’s happening with ATSC 3.0 at CES 2018

JerYnkFan January 10, 2018 at 11:02 pm #

Just hoping it improves OTA range

roadtripboy January 11, 2018 at 5:08 pm #

I think they should have been required to 3.0 compatible with 1.0.

Kravimir January 11, 2018 at 5:49 pm #

Backwards compatibility is good in general, but sometimes to add capabilities, compatibility-breaking changes have to be made. You wouldn’t expect a Blu-ray disc to be read by a DVD player, would you?

roadtripboy January 12, 2018 at 1:16 am #

I expect the new standard to be able to provide the features of the old standard. But, it doesn’t deliver the new features to older tuners. Merely maintain the status quo to those tuners. The new standard was designed to put money the greedy broadcasters pockets. It should have protected consumers first.

roadtripboy January 13, 2018 at 12:56 am #

First…thank you for taking the time to respond with so much detail. I worked in broadcasting for 25 years and understand what you’re saying. But my experience tells that most broadcasters won’t use all the new things they will be able to do. Viewers who use satellite and cable will probably never know about or take advantage of them. The people this will hurt is poorer consumers who depend on over the air signal and are the able to afford to buy a new box to hook up to their old TVs.

Bionic Merlin January 17, 2018 at 5:24 am #

The real reason for this is to put more bandwidth on cell phones by giving up some current TV frequencies.

C F January 18, 2018 at 10:50 pm #

Looking forward to it. Curious about what SD will have ive been leaning tword 1 of their bussiness units to replace my hdhr-3 as if i decide to go free to air(satalite) id want something networkable