Roku Premiere

A New Roku Update is Rolling Out Today

In July Roku released their OS 7.7 update to the popular Roku line of streaming players. Now it seems they are rolling out a hot fix to remove some bugs that came with the 7.7 update.

We are not exactly sure what the new 7.7 build 4117 updates fixes but it seems to be a small update fixing the back end. The old version was 7.7 build 4116 so that suggests this one is nothing but a bug removal update.

Update: Some Roku owners are saying they see a Roku OS build 4118. That may suggest different build numbers for different devices.

If you own a Roku player made after 2011 you should get this update at some point but most Roku’s seem to be updating today.

Did you notice any changes? Leave us a comment and let us know what you found.

The following are the changes we know came with the 7.7 update:

• Roku devices will now proactively notify you regarding loss of connectivity during streaming and direct you to network settings to update your connection.
  • When using Screen Mirroring, you now have more control over which devices to allow or block from connecting to your Roku device. Any time a Screen Mirroring session is attempted, you will receive an on-screen prompt allowing you to accept or reject the session. You can also choose to “always accept” or “always reject” a particular device from connecting.
  • All Roku TV models support the More Ways to Watch feature.
  • The USB media player on Roku TVs will support playback of MPEG-1 and H.263 files.
  • Roku fixed a bug in which closed captions would sometimes show upcoming text early.
  • Roku added an on-screen warning message for Roku TVs to make it clear that pre-existing channel favorites lists will be deleted if you initiate a new channel scan for antenna TV.
  • Roku addressed multiple bugs that caused audio, visual, and/or crashing issues across a number of streaming channels.
  • Roku fixed a bug that caused audio-visual sync issues for some channels when streaming on select Roku TV models.
  • Roku introduced a number of improvements and bug fixes to improve the overall experience when using Audio Guide.

8 Responses to A New Roku Update is Rolling Out Today

1. Sean Murphy August 3, 2017 at 3:45 pm #

I have a Roku 1 from 2015 that’s still on 7.6.0. I never got the update to 7.7?

• Terry H August 3, 2017 at 4:22 pm #

Me neither.

2. Paul Tessmer August 3, 2017 at 3:58 pm #

“Roku devices will now proactively notify you regarding loss of
    connectivity during streaming and direct you to network settings to
    update your connection.”

Oh great. Now I get to be nagged like I’m an idiot when my ISP is messing up/overloaded???
    My LAN is solid. Any problems are on the far side of the router.

3. Max Chaos August 3, 2017 at 4:58 pm #

I see Premiere has 4117 and Express has 4118

4. DynoSauR August 3, 2017 at 7:51 pm #

The audio sounds like crap using the DirecTV Now app for some reason. My Ultra says build 4117-29 and says there isn’t an update when I checked just now. I guess I’ll restart it.

5. Robert Kramer August 3, 2017 at 7:54 pm #

I have two TV’s with Roku 3 and two TV’s with the premiere +, the search feature on all these devices doesn’t work, the channel search, and the movie actor, and I have build 7.7.0 Build 4117, anyone else having these problems ??

6. mr Dave August 4, 2017 at 10:29 am #

I wish they’d get Netflixs to load faster!!

7. Greatlake August 28, 2017 at 8:46 am #

Bugs in Roku Stick software version 7.7 have caused Netflix to become unusable. Customers who are experiencing this issue on the stick can send an email to [email protected] with the subject line “7.6 Downgrade”

Include the following information in the body:

Name

Serial Number

Model # (so I can filter based on this)

and the word Netflix

Serial and Model numbers are in Settings > System > About.

Roku will be able to get you on the 7.6 firmware until they can figure out what’s going on with the stick and Netflix.