Mid age woman sitting at table

Mid age woman sitting at tableDitching cable TV can save cord cutters $1,000 a year! Now let’s save even more money by ditching your cell phone company.

I recently did this and left Verizon after being a member of Verizon since they became a wireless company in 2000. I even had their unlimited data plan, but the $170+ a month bill for my family was just too much to justify. After switching, we are saving $720 a year! Add in our savings from ditching pay TV and we are saving almost $2,000 every year! Not only am I saving but I am extremely happy with the service.

I briefly thought about moving over to Verizon’s prepaid plans but after too many bad customer service experiences to count we decided to look at other services.

Ting Wireless

If are not a heavy phone user, I recommend checking out Ting Wireless. Lines start at just $6 a month, and you have full control of what you want to pay for. Not a big talker? You can lower the number of minutes you use.

The sample single line plan includes 500 minutes, 1,000 texts, and 2 GB of data for $40 a month, making them one of the least expensive ways to get phone service. You could get a second line for $6 more and still get 500 minutes, 1,000 texts, and 2 GB of data for $46 a month. The best part is you can even keep your current cellphone number.

Ting1If you are someone who does not use your phone that much Ting’s basic plans can run as low as $28 a month. If you want to see how much it would cost you to use Ting, head over to their site, check out their plan chart, and go build your own service plan.

Straight Talk Wireless

If you are a heavy user of your cell phone and are willing to pay for it but still want to save a little money, check out Straight Talk. With a 10 GB a month plan starting at $55 a month it is far from the cheapest option out there, but you get a lot of data.

The main downside to Straight Talk Wireless is the fact that it is $55 a month with no shared plans. So if you want two phones it would be $110 a month for the 10 GB per phone plan. The best part is you can even keep your current cellphone number.

So what plan is best for you?

Well that depends on what you want. If you want something inexpensive or you want multiple lines, we highly recommend checking out Ting. If you are looking for something with a ton of data, check out Straight Talk Wireless.

Disclosure: I am a paid writer for Ting and cover all things cord cutting for them.  Cord Cutters News is also an affiliate member of both services. (The best part of that is you can now help cord cutting grow by paying your cellphone bill!)

20 Responses to Now That You Ditched Cable, Let’s Ditch Your Cell Phone Service to Save Even More Money!

Ben M August 13, 2016 at 8:07 am #

How could you leave off Tracfone? They offer both a monthly plan and a pay as you go plan, have both basic phones and smart phones and unless you use a ton of data, minutes and texts they are cheap. My total cell phone bill runs between $150-$250 a year, depending solely on my actual usage. My use is sporadic so some months usage is higher than others which makes the flat fee per month not very cost effective for me. They are piggybacking on Verizon or ATT cell network so service has never been an issue for me.

Roger Nixon August 22, 2016 at 7:34 am #

+1 on Tracfone. Now you can bring your own smartphone and choose from carriers. I have a Motorola Droid Turbo with Verizon service and my wife has a Motorola X pure using AT&T. My daughter uses a Samsung Galaxy J dual sim with an AT&T sim for the US and an Indian sim for when she travels there.
      $99 (often $85 with promo) buys a year of service, 1200 minutes, 1200 texts and 1.2GB of data. For people who are near wifi all day as we are, this works out well. It isn’t a good deal for people who need large amounts of cellular data.

R.J. Spears August 13, 2016 at 8:49 am #

I switched my family over to Republic Wireless over a year and half ago. Before, we were playing $170 a month for 4 phone and only 1 had data. (I had data, my wife and oldest daughter had feature phones, and my youngest had a flip phone — that she never used.) Our month payment averages $55 a month now.

Republic has a refund plan in which they refund for data that you don’t use. 3 of us have 1 GB of data. The goal of their plan is that you use WiFi to make most of your calls, thus keeping your data usage down.

RW has some drawbacks. First, it’s on the Sprint network which isn’t the greatest, but it is serviceable. (I can think of one time my wife was not able to make a call, but we have had drops.) Initially, you had to buy your phone, but they did have some phones for around $100. And they only had 3 Motorola models to choose from, but now they have a multitude of phones and you can bring your own.

Problems we’ve experienced is that some WiFi networks can be very troublesome with WiFi calls. My work changed a setting our WiFi network and I could not make calls via WiFi for several months, but that problem got worked out.

Call quality is decent but not stellar. Now, that they have expanded their phones and allowed you to bring your own, I don’t see a lot of issues with their phones.

Seriously, if you want to save money and can deal with a slightly less quality network, Republic Wireless is a good choice. Also, the other factor is that you should be around WiFi networks a lot. I spend nearly 90% of my data either at work or at home.

Ting would be my second choice.

Aaron J. Courtney August 13, 2016 at 11:34 am #

“Last note, none of my family are prolific cell phone users in terms of calling people. My kids use tons of data, but the vast majority of that is via WiFi”

We’re in the same boat. No one makes phone calls anymore except my wife. So we switched to Project Fi and pay about $35/mo for a family of five. We all have factory unlocked Nexus phones and pay no line charges to Google. Four of us are on data only SIMs while the wife who needs reliable voice service uses a Nexus 5x that switches between T Mobile, US Cellular, and Sprint automatically. Killer!!!

R.J. Spears August 13, 2016 at 12:07 pm #

I just checked out the Project Fi site and it says each phone account is $20/mo and then $10 for 1 GB data (and a refund for the data you don’t use). I’m trying to figure out how you only pay $35 for the entire family? That’s not a gotcha question. I’m trying to see if this would work for my family.

As I said, I’m paying around $50-$55 a month for all four of us and 3 of us have 1 GB of data. My youngest has unlimited talk and text, but only WiFi data.

For instance, the bill for my phone last month was $15 because I didn’t use much cellular data.

I like the Hotspot capabilities of Project Fi.

Aaron J. Courtney August 13, 2016 at 12:15 pm #

You only need one full account. The rest of us use data only SIMs that we hang off that one full account. You can have up to nine data only SIMs on a full account with zero line charges. And then we use Google Voice for our phone numbers.

So the wife gets the full account since she’s always on the phone (using voice minutes). The rest of us use data only for talking and texting over LTE. The data only SIMs are restricted to using T Mobile network, which isn’t too much of a problem for us since their network is very good on our area.

R.J. Spears August 13, 2016 at 12:25 pm #

Thanks. I will definitely look into this.

Aaron J. Courtney August 13, 2016 at 1:23 pm #

Cool! Like you said, it has to be a good fit!

Dale August 24, 2016 at 6:11 pm #

For what… 1gb? Lol

R.J. Spears August 25, 2016 at 6:10 am #

Yeah, 1 GB of data. I rarely use half a gig of data a month.

Willa Mae Jenkins August 13, 2016 at 12:48 pm #

MetroPCS Basic old fashioned flip phone, NO internet. Just Unlimited Talk and text for only $25 a month

Gerry Allen August 13, 2016 at 12:57 pm #

We have used Consumer Cellular for six years with great service and five-star customer relations. Bring your own phone by using their free Sim, or purchase one of theirs. Plans are far-ranging and inexpensive.

Dale August 24, 2016 at 6:02 pm #

4gb their biggest plan? I don’t think so lol. We use 20-25gb easily.

RowMan August 13, 2016 at 1:26 pm #

Just like research needs to be done by potential cord-cutters on which devices and services work for them, cell phone plans and devices need the same attention. My family has gone the prepaid route and have saved a lot of money and avoided the 2 year contracts connected with post-paid services.

Our breakdown…
    My wife and I: 2 lines unlimited talk/text/data (3GB each line of LTE) $60 per month on MetroPCS (T-Mobile).
    My son and daughter: 2 lines 3750 minutes/texts/MB data per month for FREE on RingPlus (Sprint) promotional plan.
    My parents and in-laws: All have 1000 minutes/texts/MB data per month for $4.99 each on RingPlus (Sprint) promotional plan.

Your mileage may vary depending on location and coverage area. A site that has been invaluable in determining which were the best plans for our needs is PrepaidPhoneNews.com.

VioletVal August 14, 2016 at 12:08 pm #

There are a lot of prepaid cell phone carriers to choose from, including Page Plus, Tracfone, Net10, Virgin Mobile, Airvoice, H20, Cricket, and many more. You can shop around and find the plan that works best for your needs.

Mike August 15, 2016 at 5:59 pm #

This soundspretty good but we were having issues with a home phone because we have a family member who is elderly and we opted to magic jack. We paid $150 5 years ago and I just renewed it for $130 for additional5 years. This system has saved me over $5000 in 5 years. I see no reason to get a home phone from any phone company. I would recommend magic jack for your home phone that way there is a constant and then you can use the dollar store cell phones to see which ones work best. I love Cord Cutter!

kittura December 26, 2017 at 9:21 am #

I’ve been using Magic Jack for years. I have two “land line” Magic Jack phones. One is a business number and the other is a personal number which allows me to separate work and personal calls.

The other advantage is when traveling. I used Magic Jack when I was in Mexico City, plugged into my laptop and using the hardware in the hotel room to have a phone that allowed me to call home for free during my time away.

I’ve also mentioned how good it is to use a Magic Jack phone as an extension for any of your family members who may be overseas for any extended amount of time, because if they can get WiFi, they can call you without cost from anywhere.

FREETELEVISION August 17, 2016 at 9:26 am #

I am full fledged Cord Cutter. I also am contract free on cell phones. I use Line2 as a WIFI phone, and .10 cent a minute ATT when I do not have WIFI available. I pay less than $20 a month. With this service I get calls on 2 iPhones, and iPad and my computer. Incoming calls also go to a standard house phone that is needed for DSL a secret the phone company doesn’t let out. No data plan, just WIFI. I have 4 grandchildren on Line2 at $9.95 a month each, their own number. They have unlimited text and calling when on WIFI. They sign into WIFI wherever they go, so never without phone service except in the car. I bought them all used iPhones, which is what I have and all adults in the family. So, they can text call and FACETIME each other for FREE. They just use Line2 to call non iPhone carrying friends. Now they can make video calls to those people with DUO app. My total bill for 6 cell phones and house phone is $72.67. My total Cordless TV is $65.62 for Netflix, Hulu, Amazon and Playstation Vue. And YES they can use that on their devices and ROKU TV’s for FREE at their house. I pay $138.29 for 3 Households cell phone and TV. They pay their own Internet, $45 for 25MB. Everybody Happy, except Cable and Phone companies.

TRON October 23, 2016 at 9:19 pm #

AT&T Gophone works well for me. $43 per month (after taxes) for 3GB of data with rollover. So I usually end up with around 5GB of data every month. Or you can use Cricket if you want to save a bit, but they don’t have mobile hotspot.

kittura December 26, 2017 at 9:19 am #

I personally found the best of all cell phone deals for those who are alone and not on a family plan, and for those who are heavy users of cell phones with Virgin Mobile.

Their current offer isn’t as low as mine, but it’s lower than most I’ve seen unless you have a family plan and are paying for 4 or more people. Their offer is $50 per month, but the introductory 6 months are $1 per month. After that 6 month time, the billing goes to $50 per month and there is no long term contract so you can cancel after.

Back in the summer, I jumped on Virgin’s offer – which at that time was to get one whole year of unlimited service for $1 only. My bill is literally 8 cents per month for unlimited service until June 2018. Then it goes to $50. And there’s no contract.

Virgin’s offer is iPhone exclusive though. If you submit your iPhone serial number you may be able to use one you already own, or you can purchase a new or refurbished one through their website.