Mid age woman sitting at table

Mid age woman sitting at table with mobile phone and laptopDitching cable TV can save cord cutters a $1,000 a year! So now what how can we save even more money as a cord cutter?

The average landline currently costs $20 plus taxes every month. That is an extra $240 a year you are paying just for a phone line. You could ditch it and just use a cell phone but what if you really want a home phone? (Want to save money on your cellphone service? Check out our guide to saving money on your cellphone service.)

Well we have good news you can ditch the $20 a month bill and still keep your landline and even your phone number.

The Ooma Telo is a home phone service that will plug into your home internet and allow you to keep your home phone number.

715iMZTc+UL._SL1500_Ooma Tello offers many great services:

• PureVoice HD technology for clarity and reliability
  • Integration with Amazon Echo and its voice-enabled smart assistant, Alexa
  • Caller-ID, call-waiting, call return, 911 and 911 text alerts
  • Online portal with call log, preferences and contacts
  • One-touch voicemail audio playback
  • Remote voicemail retrieval and online playback
  • Fax mode
  • Live customer support
  • Choose any available area code
  • Ooma Mobile HD app for free outbound calling
  • Everyday low rates on international calling
  • Unlimited calling to over 60 countries with the Ooma World Plan
  • Free Ooma-to-Ooma calling worldwide

So not only is it free for domestic calling the Ooma Tello offers many features that that most phone companies do not. All of this backed up by a backed by 30-day money-back guarantee and extendable 1-year warranty with 24/7 customer support.

So how can you get started? You can buy a Ooma Tello box on Amazon here:

From there just follow the setup instructions in the box and you are ready to start saving even more!

15 Responses to Now That You Ditched Cable Lets Ditch Your Phone Service to Save Even More Money!

Sandy Barnett August 6, 2016 at 12:08 pm #

The same reason why I gave up TWC phone service is the same reason why I won’t buy this: When the electric goes out and you don’t have a back up generator you can’t use the phone to call the power company to tell them your electric is out. We do well with Consumer Cellular. It’s cheap, we get a small discount for being AARP members and they have the old style flip phones for Seniors who aren’t too tech savvy. The one I got for my husband, who is disabled, even has a button on the outside he can push if he needs help. Works with the speaker so he doesn’t have to dial. Just my two cents.

Ben M August 6, 2016 at 1:29 pm #

Very good point. If you use VoIP for phone service you definitely need a cell phone as well. Battery backups help but only if it is just electricity that is out. If the internet is down as well then even with a battery backup you have no service.

We opted for Straight Talk home service. $16 a month with all the bells and whistles we want and it runs on 3G not VoIP. So, if need be, even if the electricity goes out we have a window to make emergency calls from the home phone. Of course we also have cell phones when the battery backup dies.

Gerry Allen August 6, 2016 at 1:44 pm #

As long as you live in an area subject to regular power failures (we do), a landline is a requirement. Cell towers are affected by power outages as well, but good old plain telephone service is run by large batteries in the switching centers. Best $20 per month insurance there is.

frankinnoho August 8, 2016 at 10:06 am #

You might think so. I remember being in LA during the Northridge quake. The landlines where dead in my area, but ole LA Cellular was online. ’94 was the early days of cellular, so not many people to actually call. That, and while I could call across the country, I couldn’t call to many people around me because, well, their lines were dead, too.

The tech had it’s day, but today it’s pretty much toast. It was never really safe (see above), it was never ever secure (ever hear of a wire tap?), it was never there when you needed it (broken down on the side of the road? Sorry!), and you were always one drunk “driving up a pole” away from being cut off. Before cell phones, that was just the way it was. After cell phones, it’s pretty retarded to leave that much valuable copper laying around just so a couple of grandmas call QVC.

Kitty Krash July 18, 2017 at 12:24 pm #

I prefer a landline because my hands/wrists are severely damaged, making it nearly impossible to use a cell phone. So they do have their uses.

Jason Williamson August 6, 2016 at 9:34 pm #

ObiHai for 39.00 and a google voice number = FREE
    If you need e911 you can opt in for 13 bucks a year. Beat that one!

I’ve been using this for years.

Mark August 7, 2016 at 2:05 am #

I got rid of my home number over a year ago after I figured out that all I received was political polls and telemarketing calls. Including taxes, I saved about $40 a month. If someone wants to get a hold of me, they call my cell.

Robert Kramer August 7, 2016 at 10:00 am #

Your article is wrong on OOma, only certain phone numbers can be imported, but the quality is great on this device. Also you do pay a fee of 4.23 for taxes and 911 service in the state of Ohio.

Paul August 7, 2016 at 12:24 pm #

Got LINGO VOIP phone service for 9.95 a month and didn’t have to buy any hardware. Even had better quality than Comcast Voice. Has loads of features you can use too.

frankinnoho August 8, 2016 at 10:17 am #

Jeez… Welcome to the party, finally. I ditched my landline telephone back in 2001, a lot of people were aghast. Landline phones had been phones for a hundred years, and you had to have a phone, right? Cellular phones were neat and everything, but they weren’t real phones, right? Real enough, and 15 years later, a lot of people have never had a landline telephone.

As to VIOP, meh… It might have some use as a secondary ‘family’ number, but in an era of voice messages (they weren’t always available), text messages and chat apps within ubiquitous cell phones, their efficacy is dubious.

OHIOCRITIC August 9, 2016 at 10:03 am #

I use ObiTalk with Google voice. I just created a new number and use the GVConnect app on IOS phone.

They also multiple phone devices for businesses.

JediKnight August 9, 2016 at 2:04 pm #

I’ve been wanting to eliminate my home phone for years, but we have both our alarm system and neighborhood gate entry system tied to it. Yes, I could switch to wireless on the alarm, but the gate system is a no-go.

tommyr November 29, 2016 at 7:22 pm #

I’ve been using Magic jack for the past 10 years. NO ISSUES at all. $35 a YEAR. At the time I got it I was paying $45 to Verizon and hardly used the phone. I save $540 a year the first year.

Carl W Lovern July 18, 2017 at 10:54 pm #

I’ve had the MagicJack Plus for 6 years. I pay them for 5 years at a time… $100… $20/yr.

Kevin Davis July 18, 2017 at 9:33 pm #

I use Google Voice as my voip, but to be honest I cut the landline service many years ago.