Philo Now Lets Subscribers Log In Apps from HGTV, DIY, Food Network, & More

A few weeks ago we reported that Philo was working on adding support to allow their subscribers to log in to network apps. Now it looks that has become a reality.

Back in January 2018, Philo’s CEO Andrew McCollum talked about adding network app support: “We got a lot of requests for enabling logins on TVE apps, which is something that we have planned and had done a lot of the work for but because demand was so strong we’ve tried to accelerate that.”

A few days ago /u/Souljargoods posted on the Philo TV subreddit that you can now access Scripps Network apps with your Philo subscription.

As best we can tell Philo now allows subscribers to access content on Scripps-owned networks including the Cooking Channel, DIY Network, Food Network, Great American Country, HGTV, and the Travel Channel.

I’m sure many are wondering what the issue is with having the ability to log in to network apps. We learned from other streaming services that companies need to pay extra to offer network app log in support. When you only charge $16 a month, there is not a lot of room to pay extra for a network, so that is likely a big part of the hold up from adding a ton of app support.

The question now is will they be adding support for more apps. Right now we just don’t know, but hopefully, they will.

Need cord cutting tech support? Join our Cord Cutting Tech Support Facebook Group for help.

28 Responses to Philo Now Lets Subscribers Log In Apps from HGTV, DIY, Food Network, & More

1. Malignar February 7, 2018 at 8:24 am #

Philo’s on demand selection is the most limited I’ve seen. Maybe this will help.

2. Fred Koot February 7, 2018 at 8:38 am #

Don’t know where you get companies need to pay extra for login support. Networks love when you use their app, they get a lot of add revenue.

• Dean G February 7, 2018 at 9:59 am #

I don’t understand that either, they make you watch ads before you can see the program.

3. Chris K. February 7, 2018 at 8:53 am #

Still no Nick Jr? Okay, still no subscription from my family.

• Fred Koot February 7, 2018 at 9:13 am #

?, Philo has nick jr

• Chris K. February 7, 2018 at 10:21 am #

I should have been more specific. They dont offer credentials for the TV Anywhere app. Just the live stream and one or two episodes of their shows on-demand.

Their DVR helps build a decent library (since NickJr shows cycle pretty quickly), but doesn’t seal the deal.

• Fred Koot February 7, 2018 at 11:16 am #

Isn’t there a library service mentioned here that streams Nick content for free?

• SS February 7, 2018 at 11:22 am #

You mean hoopla? It’s garbage. You get very little content. Like only one or two random episodes of very few shows. A waste of time. I don’t even know why they bring it up so much.

• Chris K. February 7, 2018 at 3:53 pm #

The problem with it is that you don’t “borrow” a disc, you “borrow” each individual episode, and they count toward your “check-out” limit. In other words, if I drive to the library and get a disc of Paw Patrol, then I get five episodes for one checked-out item. But if I get that same disc on Paw Patrol, that’s pretty much my limit. So yeah, it’s pretty lousy for Nick content.

But it’s not a bad way to get the odd movie or hard-to-find items commercial free. We installed it two weeks ago after our Philo trial expired (and after seeing the article here). Ended up finding all of the animated Mo Willems stories. My 4-year-old loved them. They don’t appear on any other service (other than occasionally being thrown up on YouTube against copyright). Hoopla also has a ton of graphic novels, and my 10-year-old was able to set up her own account with her library card.

Hoopla isn’t going to compete with or replace any other service, but it is one extra place to check for content. And if you have a public library, you’re already paying for Hoopla in some fashion. Might as well use it.

• SS February 8, 2018 at 4:02 pm #

Exactly. Personally, I don’t even bother with it much.

I’ve also been too busy lately to be an active, loyal public library member.

• SS February 7, 2018 at 10:43 am #

I thought nick and nick jr would be some of the first to be supported because Nickelodeon is constantly promoting the app. And they offer support for pretty much all services. So, I’m guessing nick and nick jr will show up soon. Probably in the next 48 hours.

• Chris K. February 7, 2018 at 11:13 am #

I wouldn’t expect that. Viacom hasn’t been playing well with anyone. Last I knew, XFinity cable customers can’t login to their TV Anywhere apps.

I don’t blame Philo for any of this, any more than I’ve ever blamed Sony for losing them a year ago. Viacom openly says they want to continue to support “traditional providers” instead of new services – meaning they completely misunderstand the demographics of their own networks.

Comedy Central? Primarily 20- to 39-year olds. The largest segments of both “cord cutters” and “cord nevers.”
        MTV? Primarily 12- to 20-year-old females, which means plenty of their parents are in the “cord cutter” and some in the “cord never” categories.
        Nick? Anywhere from 3- to 17-year-olds between their channels. Same thing… most of the kids in that category have younger Gen-Xers or older Millennials as parents.

Their channels aren’t going to increase viewership without streaming services.

• SS February 7, 2018 at 11:16 am #

Viacom is the lead investor in Philo. They’re actually the ones who made Philo happen because they couldn’t play nice with others. Philo is their baby. And Nickelodeon apps work with the most cable providers.

Yes, Viacom is terrible and I hate them and I can’t wait for my current shows to end so I don’t have to deal with Viacom anymore. But when it comes to Philo, I think they’re very committed.

4. rosalyn221 February 7, 2018 at 10:24 am #

Still waiting for Philo to add Firestick availability.

• Fred Koot February 7, 2018 at 10:39 am #

Its not perfect, but it works well on the silk browser

• SS February 7, 2018 at 10:42 am #

I don’t see FireTV happening any time soon. A lot of developers now won’t care much about FireTV because it no longer offers anything special besides their terrible interface. My fire TV is collecting dust these days. If you want something cheap, go with Roku. If you want high quality, go with Apple TV.

• Fred Koot February 7, 2018 at 10:58 am #

Nothing wrong with Fire tv’s, I have 2 and they work fine.

• SS February 7, 2018 at 11:08 am #

They just don’t offer anything special you can’t get on other devices.

• Fred Koot February 7, 2018 at 11:10 am #

What do other devices off that you can’t get on a Fire tv? Apple tvs are way overpriced

• SS February 7, 2018 at 11:20 am #

The real YouTube and any Google content, and a lot of other common apps. FireTV used to be valuable when companies like PS Vue developed Fire TV app before any other non-PS device; and when FireTV was the only place to get Prime Video (besides Roku).

And I used to hate Roku but these Amazon wars with Google made me hate FireTV even more. Amazon is always going to put politics over customer satisfaction.

5. SS February 7, 2018 at 10:40 am #

Actually $16 a month for the networks offered is a lot more than they get from other services. Normally, these networks get a combined total of less than $8. Most of the money goes to Disney, Fox, CBS and NBCU. It’s not a money issue. It’s just a matter of testing.

• Nathan John Ganiere February 7, 2018 at 12:39 pm #

yeah Viacom don’t get much from these other services, I’ve seen an article or two in the past posted what they get and it’s pennies compared to Disney, FOX, CBS, NBC………ESPN alone is one reason why these services are so expensive, think that’s the most expensive channel to carry if I recall……….

• Nathan John Ganiere February 7, 2018 at 12:44 pm #

but yeah they literally give dimes and quarters for carrying most of these networks on PHILO to have them on other carriers where the other mentioned companies get dollars back, that’s per subscriber

• SS February 7, 2018 at 1:00 pm #

Yes, ESPN is the most expensive to carry. In a bundle, ESPN gets at least $7. In total Disney bundle takes home at least $10 even in the cheapest services. Then give $5 – 7 to each of CBS, NBCU and Fox and you realize that together, they’re consuming $25 – 30 in your $35 bundle. AMC demands something big. Then the rest of the networks are left to share whatever is left.

Even one of those CEOs said they’re making more money from Philo than any of those other services. So, I don’t know where this story of Philo’s $16 is too low to get apps comes from. As far as I know from Philo, they’re just testing the interface. It’s nothing to do with deals.

• Nathan John Ganiere February 7, 2018 at 1:06 pm #

yeah you’re right on it all, it’s so much higher than what they get off the other services, with the standalone PHILO service it’s unreal……but if that’s what someone wants without paying the other corporations, good for Viacom and the other networks for pulling something off like this, consumer choices is always good anyhow……

• SS February 7, 2018 at 1:34 pm #

Exactly. And I love it. It’s been the cheapest way to get Viacom in an app I actually like.

6. Manda February 7, 2018 at 4:43 pm #

Correct me if I’m wrong but I thought Philo was owned by these channels. Why would paying themselves be an issue?

• Rocksleeper February 7, 2018 at 6:23 pm #

A lot of the networks invested in it…they do not own it. if you invest in a company, it does mean that you then give the company free services. None of these companies have majority share of Philo…and it is possible that all combined they don’t have majority share of Philo. Philo is a private company with staff outside of these networks. They will have to pay like any other private company. It is possible they could negotiate lower prices with investors….but they still most likely have to pay.